Dan Ryan Track Renewal Project

newport

While it could take up to 2 years to complete the new Cermak station on the Green Line, I still think there could be some slow zones in that area while Red Line trains are rerouted during the shutdown. Remember prelim and foundational work, etc, will take place under the tracks as that platform will be an island platform. I imagine the major work will be done AFTER the Red Line work is completed.

OT, but isn't the new Washington/Wabash construction also slated to begin in 2013?

While it could take up to 2 years to complete the new Cermak station on the Green Line, I still think there could be some slow zones in that area while Red Line trains are rerouted during the shutdown. Remember prelim and foundational work, etc, will take place under the tracks as that platform will be an island platform. I imagine the major work will be done AFTER the Red Line work is completed.

OT, but isn't the new Washington/Wabash construction also slated to begin in 2013?

Chicago Journal article indicates construction on both starts in 2013.

• 2 weeks later...

From the homepage today concerning the award of a contract for the Dan Ryan reconstruction project:

little more than $17.5 million—or about 4 percent—of the total contract goes to the subcontractors for their work, according to the CTA’s press release. Furthermore, of that 4 percent, 92.2 percent of the money will go to African-American firms, 7.8 percent to Hispanic firms and 6 percent to women-owned firms.

Now if my Chicago Public Schools Education was any good, I question the math in this article. If 92.2 percent of the subcontractor money goes to African American firms and 7.8 percent goes to Hispanic firms, that adds up to 100 percent, correct? If that is the case, how does 6 percent go to women-owned firms? I guess the article does a poor job of explaining what percentage of these firms fall under more than one classification, i.e an A.A female firm or Hispanic female firm.

With all of the hype from CTA, and certain politicians, so called activists, community leaders and headline seeking attention grabbing people (all of whom shall remain nameless), the best they could come up with was 4 percent of the total contract for "set asides"? Four Percent? These people should go hide somewhere and never be seen in public again.

With all of the hype from CTA, and certain politicians, so called activists, community leaders and headline seeking attention grabbing people (all of whom shall remain nameless), the best they could come up with was 4 percent of the total contract for "set asides"? Four Percent? These people should go hide somewhere and never be seen in public again.

Probably their math is bad, or the part of the News Release that "Paschen met the CTA's target of 40 percent Disadvantaged Business Enterprise (DBE) participation by engaging the services of 13 DBE subcontractors" must mean something else.

It must be a federal requirement, because even NICTD mentions it.

• 3 months later...

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/chi-officials-cta-approves-purchase-of-8-aislefacing-rail-cars-20130213,0,4474247.story

"Meanwhile, CTA Chairman Terry Peterson announced specific start and end dates — May 19 and Oct. 19 — for the $425 million project to renovate the tracks on the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line.

The branch will be closed between Cermak-Chinatown and 95th Street over the five months, officials said. Alternative shuttle bus service to the Green Line will be offered.

CTA officials also are negotiating with Metra to possibly expand service temporarily on the Electric District, Peterson said".

Jhilkevitch@tribune.com

Twitter @jhilkevitch

• Upvote 1

http://www.redeyechicago.com/news/chi-officials-cta-approves-purchase-of-8-aislefacing-rail-cars-20130213,0,4474247.story

"Meanwhile, CTA Chairman Terry Peterson announced specific start and end dates — May 19 and Oct. 19 — for the $425 million project to renovate the tracks on the Dan Ryan branch of the Red Line.

The branch will be closed between Cermak-Chinatown and 95th Street over the five months, officials said. Alternative shuttle bus service to the Green Line will be offered.

CTA officials also are negotiating with Metra to possibly expand service temporarily on the Electric District, Peterson said".

Jhilkevitch@tribune.com

Twitter @jhilkevitch

Good eye.

Looks like it's a go for 5/19.

Two things:

(1) Metra and CTA will have a combined pass to use, based on where you're boarding.

(2) Pace is running Express Buses to the South Loop.

The Pace buses sound like a good idea. I wonder if it will be faster than the rerouted (bus-train) service. Maybe CTA should've thought of an express bus service to Roosevelt from 95th also as part of their shuttle service, but that option would probably become way overcrowded as that sounds like the best one seat alternative. That's probably one reason Pace is not stopping there either. But I don't know how many riders in Harvey will board. (Shuttle from Harvey direct to loop) Sounds like their concerned Metra is going to be overcrowded. Just think the Metra riders can bypass 95th station and the shuttles. I think that's going to be where the problem will be.

The Pace buses sound like a good idea. I wonder if it will be faster than the rerouted (bus-train) service. Maybe CTA should've thought of an express bus service to Roosevelt from 95th also as part of their shuttle service, but that option would probably become way overcrowded as that sounds like the best one seat alternative. That's probably one reason Pace is not stopping there either. But I don't know how many riders in Harvey will board. (Shuttle from Harvey direct to loop) Sounds like their concerned Metra is going to be overcrowded. Just think the Metra riders can bypass 95th station and the shuttles. I think that's going to be where the problem will be.

The Pace bus is a result of the survey previously mentioned, but like you I don't see why those riders just can't take Metra (unless they are only going to be charged $1.75 a trip), since both Blue Island and Harvey are next to Metra stations.

Also, I don't know if the combined Metra-CTA 10 ride/5 day is such a deal, as it is $22 more than the Metra fares to zones B and C (even more for the CTA-Pace-Metra ticket to Zone D).

The Pace bus is a result of the survey previously mentioned, but like you I don't see why those riders just can't take Metra (unless they are only going to be charged $1.75 a trip), since both Blue Island and Harvey are next to Metra stations.

Also, I don't know if the combined Metra-CTA 10 ride/5 day is such a deal, as it is $22 more than the Metra fares to zones B and C (even more for the CTA-Pace-Metra ticket to Zone D).

Thinking in terms of money, CTA is giving free rides on the shuttles and at 55th/Green line so an inbound 95th rider is essentially going to ride free, so maybe the morning Metra might be alright, but the afternoon will get hit harder because as far as I know those same outbound CTA riders will be paying fares. For Metra, it all depends on how many riders are going to use the service from south of 95th, because Metra is going to be tempting for those riders. (that does seem slow, ride a bus to 95th/Dan Ryan, ride a shuttle, and then a train. Metra probably would be much faster.)

..... For Metra, it all depends on how many riders are going to use the service from south of 95th, because Metra is going to be tempting for those riders. (that does seem slow, ride a bus to 95th/Dan Ryan, ride a shuttle, and then a train. Metra probably would be much faster.)

The issue is that from 83rd south (and south of 95th to Kensington) the passenger is paying Zone C, or $4.50/ride, and hence isn't getting any discount, even with the $64.50 10 ride combo ticket.

When I brought up the Metra alternative earlier, it was to the effect that CTA should pay Metra enough to accept CTA transfers, which CTA obviously is not. Then you might be talking $2.50 a ride, not the possible $6.45 (although I recognize that the CTA part of the pass could be used unlimited for up to 5 days).

Hence, the question will be how inconvenienced people will be to pay the $1.50 for the apparent 50 cent discount on the bus south of 63rd and the free transfer at Garfield, compared to the $6.45. I bet they'll tolerate a lot.

People useing the Dan Ryan are going to run into a problem .According to CBS.

Motorists will see temporary lane closures on the innermost express lane
of the Ryan from approximately 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. on weekdays, and on
weekends. Steele said the specific closures will depend upon the stretch
of track being worked upon that night.

People useing the Dan Ryan are going to run into a problem .According to CBS.

Motorists will see temporary lane closures on the innermost express lane

of the Ryan from approximately 8 p.m. until 6 a.m. on weekdays, and on

weekends. Steele said the specific closures will depend upon the stretch

of track being worked upon that night.

Isn't like it is the rush hour. Also, isn't like it was in 2005, with the tracks on the expressway and either the local or express lanes dug up.

The issue is that from 83rd south (and south of 95th to Kensington) the passenger is paying Zone C, or $4.50/ride, and hence isn't getting any discount, even with the $64.50 10 ride combo ticket.

When I brought up the Metra alternative earlier, it was to the effect that CTA should pay Metra enough to accept CTA transfers, which CTA obviously is not. Then you might be talking $2.50 a ride, not the possible $6.45 (although I recognize that the CTA part of the pass could be used unlimited for up to 5 days).

Hence, the question will be how inconvenienced people will be to pay the $1.50 for the apparent 50 cent discount on the bus south of 63rd and the free transfer at Garfield, compared to the $6.45. I bet they'll tolerate a lot.

Yeah, probably if Metra made the fare the same as CTA, the service would get inundated with too many riders. Then you would have the Metra riders complaining now we can't use our service, which might happen anyway. As I understand it, the 50 cent discount only applies to the main line service, the shuttles are free. CTA is concerned the buses are going to be sitting too long loading up passengers, so the service is basically load and go. I guess it boils down to how much you want to be inconvienced to ride for free. There are other options like the Jeffery Jump, which no one is really advertising as an alternative, which may be really smart to ride. (If your coming from the east that's the way to go) Probably CTA is going to have to add extra service there and on the #6 for the south of 63rd crowd, which is now looking at that as rapid transit. Once they find out what's going to happen with the riders (where there going to go) they might have to make a few adjustments to the service. The first few days should be interesting. ;)

Yeah, probably if Metra made the fare the same as CTA, the service would get inundated with too many riders. Then you would have the Metra riders complaining now we can't use our service, which might happen anyway. ...

In that about the only "branch" of the ME that would be affected would be the Blue Island (which runs local between 63rd and Kensington), which doesn't have much ridership to begin with, I doubt that was the rationale. The main line (University Park) doesn't stop in that segment.

On your other point, it hasn't been indicated yet whether Pace is following through on the suggestion that 353 stop at 103rd and Stony Island to connect to the J14.

Update: I had assumed the $1.50 with regard to someone getting on, say, 103, making a free transfer to the shuttle at 95th, and making a free transfer to the L at Garfield. If the comparable ride was via the ME, it would be $5.75, which is still cheaper than with the combo ticket.

In that about the only "branch" of the ME that would be affected would be the Blue Island (which runs local between 63rd and Kensington), which doesn't have much ridership to begin with, I doubt that was the rationale. The main line (University Park) doesn't stop in that segment.

On your other point, it hasn't been indicated yet whether Pace is following through on the suggestion that 353 stop at 103rd and Stony Island to connect to the J14.

Update: I had assumed the $1.50 with regard to someone getting on, say, 103, making a free transfer to the shuttle at 95th, and making a free transfer to the L at Garfield. If the comparable ride was via the ME, it would be $5.75, which is still cheaper than with the combo ticket.

At the South Shore Cultural Center last year, Terry Peterson said that they would work to get trains on the Main Line and South Chicago Branch. I think there will probably be more Community meetings between now and May.

Metra and CTA should work it out so riders can use their CTA fare instruments just like the 'L', with portable CTA Fare boxes controlling platform access - all fare collection could be done off-train (like the 'L').

Right now they are considering Legislation in Springfield to combine CMAP and the RTA (and Metra, CTA, and Pace) -- This is a good example of why. The Electric District Physical Plant would easily lend itself to Barrier Fare control (temporarily) because it operated with tickets and Gatemen for most of it's operation (and those spaces are mostly still there).

The RTA "should" be able to step in and get them all to work together on this, and the fact that they "can't" -- demonstrates the need for change at the highest levels, and some type of re-organization.

This is going to be interesting!!

At the South Shore Cultural Center last year, Terry Peterson said that they would work to get trains on the Main Line and South Chicago Branch. I think there will probably be more Community meetings between now and May.

No evidence of that. I assume that this Press Release by the CTA was the final word (except, maybe, if some promised service gets overloaded, but I doubt that the ME will be).

Peterson has proved himself to be a liar at those meetings, anyway. Note that none was held near 95th.

Metra and CTA should work it out so riders can use their CTA fare instruments just like the 'L', with portable CTA Fare boxes controlling platform access - all fare collection could be done off-train (like the 'L').

Again, no evidence of that. I hate to say this again, but again you are persisting in a delusion.

While it appears at the moment that Tracy Swartz is the only one with the fare information on the10 ride/5 day ticket, it is clear from my analysis above that anyone who buys one is not getting a break, and there certainly isn't going to be any fare integration.

And, apparently you are the only one who wants fare barriers on the ME, or Metra would not have taken them down supposedly by passenger demand. Also,as indicated in the Ventra thread, Metra has not signed on to Ventra, not even for the ME north of Kensington.

Right now they are considering Legislation in Springfield to combine CMAP and the RTA (and Metra, CTA, and Pace) -- This is a good example of why. The Electric District Physical Plant would easily lend itself to Barrier Fare control (temporarily) because it operated with tickets and Gatemen for most of it's operation (and those spaces are mostly still there).

The RTA "should" be able to step in and get them all to work together on this, and the fact that they "can't" -- demonstrates the need for change at the highest levels, and some type of re-organization.

I agree that the Service Boards should be abolished. However, you have not linked [pun not intended] to any legislation stating that [you can search ilga.gov if you think there is any], but given the clowns in the legislature, especially Cullerton, who is more interested in sticking it to the taxpayers, I don't think so.

It may get interesting, but as far as any announcement from the CTA, you got your announcement, and even at a joint press event, but you certainly didn't get the announcement you expected.

Maybe you should realize that by now. Are you going to be posting the same stuff in November?

I could be wrong,but my thinking on the Metra/CTA combo ticket/pass is to accommodate those passengers who live far south, but work in the West,Northwest, or North suburbs. That is where the value of the 5day pass comes in coupled with the time saved by not doing 2 free transfers on the South Side. The question I have is would Pace accept this temporary 5 day pass? If not, that would certainly kill the value in this combo.

The question I have is would Pace accept this temporary 5 day pass? If not, that would certainly kill the value in this combo.

The indication from the RedEye article is that except for the Zone D one, no. "Zone D riders can pay $74.50 for a combo Metra-CTA-Pace card." The Metra fare for Zone D (such as Blue Island on the ME or RID) is $4.75 ($47.50 for 10 rides), so there is a premium of $27.00 for the combo pass, compared to $22.00 for the Zone B or C combo pass. Not coincidentally, that's the same $5.00 difference between CTA 7 day passes and CTA/Pace 7 day passes (fare chart).

My only inference is that a CTA only card wouldn't do much good in Zone D, because much of CTA service has been eliminated that far out (except for 8A/108). But a Pace Bus Plus pass probably makes more sense, except that Pace says it will be running express buses.

No evidence of that. I assume that this Press Release by the CTA was the final word (except, maybe, if some promised service gets overloaded, but I doubt that the ME will be).

Peterson has proved himself to be a liar at those meetings, anyway. Note that none was held near 95th.

Again, no evidence of that. I hate to say this again, but again you are persisting in a delusion.

While it appears at the moment that Tracy Swartz is the only one with the fare information on the10 ride/5 day ticket, it is clear from my analysis above that anyone who buys one is not getting a break, and there certainly isn't going to be any fare integration.

And, apparently you are the only one who wants fare barriers on the ME, or Metra would not have taken them down supposedly by passenger demand. Also,as indicated in the Ventra thread, Metra has not signed on to Ventra, not even for the ME north of Kensington.

I agree that the Service Boards should be abolished. However, you have not linked [pun not intended] to any legislation stating that [you can search ilga.gov if you think there is any], but given the clowns in the legislature, especially Cullerton, who is more interested in sticking it to the taxpayers, I don't think so.

It may get interesting, but as far as any announcement from the CTA, you got your announcement, and even at a joint press event, but you certainly didn't get the announcement you expected.

Maybe you should realize that by now. Are you going to be posting the same stuff in November?

What does this mean: http://www.senatedem.ilga.gov/index.php/sen-link-home/3134-link-consolidate-transportation-agencies-to-improve-efficiency This is exactly what they are N O T doing.

If your double quotation of me means anything other than the last sentence, I responded to it earlier, i.e. Cullerton is blowing smoke,

The combine RTA CMAP proposal was out there before. Two ineffective agencies to be combined into one ineffective agency.

If I was not clear before, search ilga.gov and find me some legislation saying that the Chicago Transit Authority, as well as the Suburban Bus Division and the Commuter Rail division are to be abolished and merged into one governing board, and the Metropolitan Transit Authority Act is to be repealed. I bet you can't, because city politicians are unwilling to give up control of the CTA.

And edit your posts. This is not a litter box.

Well I referring more towards the Rock island, which has many stops from 91st to Blue island, but the riders on the northern part of that could also take the #9 to 63rd/Ashland Green line. The question is," Is the Rock Island just as expensive as the ME?" If so many riders will just most likely stick to CTA.