• Replies 86
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Posted Images

• 2 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
Forest Glen should also receive two more Optimas very shortly, bringing that garage's total to four.[from "And the next garage to get New Flyers is..."]
Above said, subject to change, 17. I drove by on Saturday and saw 512, 515, and 517 in the yard north of Armstrong Ave. If you are saying ultimate total of 4, it currently doesn't add up.

I didn't say "ultimate total," I said that the garage would have a total of four after the next two were delivered. They currently have two (or, as of a week ago, they had two).

If a third bus was delivered in the past week, then Forest Glen would have five. The buses also may be at the garage but not yet in service, and not yet counted on the roster. In any event, FG should wind up with a total of 17, but, as always, that is subject to change depending on how vehicle requirements pan out from pick to pick.

I saw 521 on the 84 today. It seemed that it was too small for that route at the time of day I saw it (1pm). It was westbound about Damen and was already full. Amazing that the destination sign was not functional (CTA Program 1-16-07) with a paper 84 Peterson in the window.

I would think that those buses would be best suited for say 56A or 68 evenings (as in after rush hour) or most definitely 90N, as well as the Evanston Route that North Park has no room for (that one still amazes me). Other than that, I don't think Forest Glen is a good place for those buses !!!!

As Frank said: "much like having the right tool for the job." :D There are probably a lot of routes on the far Northwest side where having Optimas makes sense (in addition to obviously 64 and 69, maybe 54A, 81W, 85A, 88 and those you mention), but definitely not the cross-town routes (78, 80, 81, 84, 152).

There was an unconfirmed sighting reported on another forum that an Opus was on 14, which would be really nuts (cuts down the seating from 61 to 23).

Also, I'm somewhat surprised that 55A/55N/62H/63W didn't get them. But maybe not, considering how Archer is privileged.

The X80(during off-peak hours) might be useful for the Optima, as not many people are on this bus since they want off at the stops that are local only(Kedzie, Spaulding, etc...).  Typically, when I take an express to the Harlem mall, there may be about 15-20 people on this bus.

As far as Archer Garage goes, I think that would be a mistake because they would dumbly assign these buses to Western around 3:00p when 500+ Lane Tech Students cram a 40' bus from wall to wall practically while the bus driver just sits there for 2-3 light cycles to allow as many board as they want.(those who take Western at this time, you know what I mean).

If there aren't many people on an X-bus, it shouldn't be running.
The productivity report indicates low productivity, but apparently Rahm Emanuel got the grant to fully fund it. (See http://www.house.gov/apps/list/speech/il05...el/X80_CTA.html, and if I remember correctly, it was exempted from the doomsday cuts for that reason.)

So I took this afternoon, in the middle of my winter vacation, to ride on one of these itty bitty things. I rode on 515 on the #68 to Park Ridge, and I'll say this: even though I still detest the livery, the vehicle itself isn't bad. Its got speed and pickup, and the seats are the newer version that will be put on the 1000's. Despite the fact that I like it, the driver did not. She had a ridiculous time trying to adjust the destination controls as well as adjusting the seat. I noticed its somewhat smug of a drivers area, with the [destination] panel along the window side...I'm assuming this was for spatial reasons.

I also did notice, that these buses are being operated mainly on the feeders (90N) as well as a couple on the 68. Some full-size buses are being used in the mix, but for the most part, it seems like these buses are fit for the job (and the route) they are given...as long as they're not being used on crosstowns (unless its during the late evening, where it might make sense).

As far as Archer Garage goes, I think that would be a mistake because they would dumbly assign these buses to Western around 3:00p when 500+ Lane Tech Students cram a 40' bus from wall to wall practically while the bus driver just sits there for 2-3 light cycles to allow as many board as they want.(those who take Western at this time, you know what I mean).  

The reason the driver "just sits there" is because the runs are scheduled to do so, for the very reason you observe.

I also did notice, that these buses are being operated mainly on the feeders (90N) as well as a couple on the 68. Some full-size buses are being used in the mix, but for the most part, it seems like these buses are fit for the job (and the route) they are given...as long as they're not being used on crosstowns (unless its during the late evening, where it might make sense).

As I stated earlier, 90N and (maybe) 68 would be good routes for these buses. I have seen them on the 84 a couple of times...midday (1pm) and evening (8pm). In both cases, the buses were pretty well filled up.