FAQ: Chicago Transit Forum

ChicagoBus.org Transit Forum is becoming Chicago Transit Forum!

Starting later this month, our new address will be chitransit.org. All posts and member accounts will remain exactly the same, and all existing links will continue to work.
In addition to a fresh new look, we'll be introducing an improved mobile experience and additional enhancements.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why the change?
The new name better reflects our members' interests in both bus and rail transportation.
Will all content, membership information, and private messages remain in tact?
Yes. Your account, settings, and posts will all remain in place.
Please note that you will be required to log in again once the new forum launches, even if you have the "Remember me" option enabled.
What will be different on the new forum?
The new forum will sport a fresh new look and improved user interface. Rather than a separate (and limited) mobile view, the new forum will be fully adaptable to all screen sizes.
Will there be a change in ownership or administration of the forum?
No. Kevin and MetroShadow will continue to serve as moderators of the forum.
What's happening to the non-forum pages of ChicagoBus.org?
The rest of ChicagoBus.org will remain fully operational. You'll still be able to reach the forum from the site, and a list of recent forum discussions will continue to appear on the home page.
Forum member Stanley Garmon (garmon757) will now be handling content updates to the buses and garages sections of ChicagoBus.org. With the help of our eagle-eyed forum members, Stanley will be keeping ChicagoBus.org up-to-date with the latest roster information and photos.
  • Upvote 14

If only my username was highlighted with a color (preferably purple)! :lol:

Should I consider myself as a editor, updater, or tech? :P

Not only Kevin I should be thanking, I thank each and everyone on here for giving me the opportunity to be accepted for who I am and my expertise on behalf of this forum. If anybody have any suggestions, information, and/or corrections, please let me know through via message.

• Upvote 4

Not only Kevin I should be thanking, I thank each and everyone on here for giving me the opportunity to be accepted for who I am and my expertise on behalf of this forum. If anybody have any suggestions, information, and/or corrections, please let me through via message.

I go by "Jack of All Trades" at work, why not the same title for you? :lol:

If you go Purple, I want Blue!!! j/k.... I'm just a regular member, colors and boldness are only for those for maintenance and administration(or should be, IMO).

I look forward to the changes, Kevin. I hope that there might be some more ways with the new forum that I can change the way I work on some of my daily threads(like the Rail Service Alerts, for example). If there is, I might tweak with that and present a cleaner look to the current alert board.

Just for the love of God, don't run the forum on Android Lollipop 5.0, Kevin!!! :angry::lol: j/k.... I know it won't be, but consider this my PSA to all forum members who have android smartphones and want to get the Lollipop 5.0 update.... don't!!! Especially if you have a Galaxy S5, those phones have become crippled phones after the update upon reading the Samsung Facebook page.

Lollipop 5.0 Issues Page

Samsung Facebook Page

• Upvote 1

Not only Kevin I should be thanking, I thank each and everyone on here for giving me the opportunity to be accepted for who I am and my expertise on behalf of this forum. If anybody have any suggestions, information, and/or corrections, please let me through via message.

Wow Stanley, does that mean I can retire? Am I eligible for a pension? :lol:

• Upvote 3

No but you can get a raise with a week paid vacation! :P

Nobody gets a week paid vacation or raises.... we don't have that kind of a budget, unless we start handing out this currency.

In that case, this is how the currency will be given out...

Kevin: $25 Monopoly Bucks/hr.

MetroShadow: $18 Monopoly Bucks/hr.

Garmon757: $12 Monopoly Bucks/hr.

Forum Members: Start out at $3 Monopoly Bucks/hr. with a $1 Monopoly Buck/hr. raise yearly with a cap at $10 Monopoly Bucks/hr.

1 Monopoly Buck is equivalent to .50 cents in U.S Dollars.

post-10-0-65239300-1428116626_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 3

Nobody gets a week paid vacation or raises.... we don't have that kind of a budget, unless we start handing out this currency.

Forum Members: Start out at $3 Monopoly Bucks/hr. with a $1 Monopoly Buck/hr. raise yearly with a cap at $10 Monopoly Bucks/hr.

If only I can replace Wegner name with your name!!! :lol::P:D

https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=Bd9osL3TP-c

• Upvote 1

ChicagoBus.org Transit Forum is becoming Chicago Transit Forum!

Starting later this month, our new address will be chitransit.org. All posts and member accounts will remain exactly the same, and all existing links will continue to work.
In addition to a fresh new look, we'll be introducing an improved mobile experience and additional enhancements.

This sounds like an exciting change! I was happy with the old name (given the origins of this site), but considering that our forum discussions have exploded into many other topics over the years, I welcome this change with open arms. I also dig the new icon! I'd also like to take the time to thank Kevin for creating this site to begin with and allowing me to join and engage the CTA community, and the great journey our forum members have been through thus far. :)

Congratulations on your new promotion and potential title! It sounds like a lot, and it's an important job, but I'm 100% sure you're up to the task.

• Upvote 1

I'll take Enron Stock. Please and thank you.

• Upvote 3

Aside from the extrinsic chatter, can we get to something substantive, like an answer to BusHunter's question?

So if we google chicagobus.org stories will we lose those links as they should now be broken links to a defunct site?

When does the smart phone app come? :)

There won't be an installable app, but the forum will work much better in mobile browsers.

So if we google chicagobus.org stories will we lose those links as they should now be broken links to a defunct site?

Each and every link will remain fully functional. Links to forum posts, member profiles, etc., will automatically redirect to the new address.

• Upvote 1

So if Stanley is in change of rosters and photos will any submittal need his approval? Also will there be more subforums like say I want to talk about PCC's.

Stanley will be handling content updates to ChicagoBus.org pages, such as the buses section and garages section. He has the ability to update those areas with new information and photos.

There's no impact to the more detailed rosters that appear on the forum. If you have a post where you track more detailed information, you're of course still able to update those as desired.

New subforums are being considered, although those will typically form once there's a clear need for a new category. For example, there may be a Regional Transit Planning* subforum for some of the topics currently in General Transit Discussion.

__

* Admittedly, a bit of an oxymoron.

Stanley will be handling content updates to ChicagoBus.org pages, such as the buses section and garages section. He has the ability to update those areas with new information and photos.

Do I have the correct impression that chicagbus.org will continue to exist, and the only thing moving to the new url is the forum? The other blue buttons at the top pretty much continue as is?

• Upvote 1

4300s page has been updated if anybody wants to check it out.

If you are working on the text, two things jump out which need more editing.

• The definite one is that the Purple and Brown lines were shut down because of a fire at the old school, resulting in ice glaze on the tracks, due to the firemen spraying water (Tribune).
  • Unless you have been inducted into the secret cult of the roster, you don't know that 4323 has been permanently retired. Nobody has seen it out there since the front left was crushed, but I don't think that its retirement has been confirmed.

• The definite one is that the Purple and Brown lines were shut down because of a fire at the old school, resulting in ice glaze on the tracks, due to the firemen spraying water (Tribune).
  • Unless you have been inducted into the secret cult of the roster, you don't know that 4323 has been permanently retired. Nobody has seen it out there since the front left was crushed, but I don't think that its retirement has been confirmed.
I didn't add that article in because Brown and Purple Lines weren't suspended for the whole entire day. The fact that no bus service on LSD outweighs the fire near Armitage and the Red Line was never affected but indeed dealt with heavy passenger boarding.

I didn't add that article in because Brown and Purple Lines weren't suspended for the whole entire day. The fact that no bus service on LSD outweighs the fire near Armitage and the Red Line was never affected but indeed dealt with heavy passenger boarding.

The issue isn't whether you should have dealt with the fire, but whether there was any connection between the bus fire and the Purple and Brown Lines at all. Obviously, those two lines couldn't act as an alternate, as they were shut down because of the school fire.

Yeah i was going to say that's a real shame/waste about #4323. Brand new bus in the crapper. Hopefully it's not gone.