Getting Hired By CTA As A Motorman/Operator

juelzkellz

I have always wanted to work for the CTA as a Motorman/Operator. I have looked it up but I can't get any clear answers as to going about it the best way. Tips/Suggestions from any current and former CTA employees would be appreciated.

Not a CTA employee, but with the threat of service cuts possible(thanks, Rauner!), this might not be the time to pursue this dream. No doubt there will be layoff notices going out if service cuts are on the board, and CTA, like most businesses, goes on the "Last hired, first fired" layoff structure.

Not a CTA employee, but with the threat of service cuts possible(thanks, Rauner!), this might not be the time to pursue this dream. No doubt there will be layoff notices going out if service cuts are on the board, and CTA, like most businesses, goes on the "Last hired, first fired" layoff structure.

Too early for that consideration.

The real issue, being at the bottom of the pick, is whether jeulz has what Brittney Haywood didn't, if one takes the assumption that you get what's left and the only way to make money is overtime. This is the first time I have seen real conditions put on the public record.

I have always wanted to work for the CTA as a Motorman/Operator. I have looked it up but I can't get any clear answers as to going about it the best way. Tips/Suggestions from any current and former CTA employees would be appreciated.

I inquired about that position as well I asked a rail instructor how I would become a rail operator and she said go transitchicago.com go under Rail Operations and look for Flagman. in the requirements you must be 21 years of age, have a valid driver's license, and you must do flagging for a year to become qualified to operate trains. The position isn't available, but keep checking the website until it does.

I inquired about that position as well I asked a rail instructor how I would become a rail operator and she said go transitchicago.com go under Rail Operations and look for Flagman. in the requirements you must be 21 years of age, have a valid driver's license, and you must do flagging for a year to become qualified to operate trains. The position isn't available, but keep checking the website until it does.

That explains why Brittney started in that manner.

I don't know if I would want to start in some position where one could be run over by a train in a work zone.

Too early for that consideration.

The real issue, being at the bottom of the pick, is whether jeulz has what Brittney Haywood didn't, if one takes the assumption that you get what's left and the only way to make money is overtime. This is the first time I have seen real conditions put on the public record.

I'm not worried about falling asleep and crashing a train. The bottom line is, she couldn't hack it and everyone found out the hard way. I'm sure there's other operators that have to go through the same stuff she went through and they didn't fall asleep and crash a train.

I don't know if I would want to start in some position where one could be run over by a train in a work zone.

I'm not worried about getting ran over. Again, people work everyday on the tracks and not get ran over. Besides, when a train is traveling through a work zone, it's moving about 5-10 mph, if you get ran over by a train going that slow, you probably deserve it.

Thanks!

I hear you, but it would be nice to know the process, so when things get better, I can apply and know the process.

I'm not worried about falling asleep and crashing a train. The bottom line is, she couldn't hack it and everyone found out the hard way. I'm sure there's other operators that have to go through the same stuff she went through and they didn't fall asleep and crash a train.

The question isn't whether you think you can stay awake, but do you want a job with that little control over the schedule? I think you should read the whole transcript first.

I hear you, but it would be nice to know the process, so when things get better, I can apply and know the process.

I'm not saying don't inquire.... that's the best thing to do. But I would wait a bit on joining at least just because there is that possibility that service cuts could occur based on what I've read because of the Rauner Act. If you currently have employment, I would stick there where at least the paycheck is steady right now(hopefully). It's hard to find work if you get laid off/terminated.

If Hilkevitch is warning about fare hikes and service cuts Busjack, since Transit Officials laid out that scenario, that may be forthcoming unless Rauner changes his tune about transit cuts of $170 million plus from Chicago Mass Transit. Not wanting to start political debates, but Republicans can be so hard-headed at times(ode to Boehner). But not saying Democrats are any better, but they've done things for lower and middle-class citizens, not just the upper-class. Look at Blago the Clown for example.... he gave Seniors Free Rides(which hurt the CTA until a cap was put on). Good plan that needed to be tweaked. And Obama with his Health Care Reform(or as the Republicans like to coin, Obamacare). It is a good plan, IMO as Americans need health insurance that's affordable, so going to the doctor can just cost $20-$60, compared to $100-$500.

I doubt they would cut rail. It's doing so good and the buses cost more money to run per person. Someone I know from CTA that walked the right of way said they have some weak wood catwalks up on the Red line between Belmont and Wilson. So you have that to think about to but I guess 1 year is not too bad. They did replace some of that wood but there might be more to replace. I know Wilson was kind of scary to walk on before they replanked it. They really should just replace all the wood catwalks with metal.

I doubt they would cut rail. It's doing so good and the buses cost more money to run per person. ....

That's undoubtedly the case since there was the article that rail ridership hit a record while bus ridership was down about 8%. Even in 2010, rail did not take the hit that bus did.

The question isn't whether you think you can stay awake, but do you want a job with that little control over the schedule? I think you should read the whole transcript first.

I read part of the transcript. I'm going to finish the rest later. It still comes down to she couldn't hack it. She's not the only person in the world who has no control of her schedule. Me personally, I wouldn't mind it. I see it as "paying your dues" so to say. Every operator that has came before her had to deal with the same issue and they all made it for the most part. Most things in life start out crappy, but if you keep your nose clean and stick to it, it usually pays off in the future.

I doubt they would cut rail. It's doing so good and the buses cost more money to run per person. Someone I know from CTA that walked the right of way said they have some weak wood catwalks up on the Red line between Belmont and Wilson. So you have that to think about to but I guess 1 year is not too bad. They did replace some of that wood but there might be more to replace. I know Wilson was kind of scary to walk on before they replanked it. They really should just replace all the wood catwalks with metal.

It's not the trains you have to worry about it's the third rail. Also there is a possibility of an arch from a train more likely if the conditions are wet but even more likely if the conditions are icy.

Life is filled with danger. You can't eliminate every risk. All of can do is mitigate the risk. The way I look at things is that if it's meant to be, it will be. Good or Bad. As far as changing the catwalks from wood to metal, the danger I see if from lightning strikes and when it gets wet and/or icy, it can get slippery. Maybe if they change the catwalks from wood to some type of non metal composite, that might work.

I think that's been a rule before Brittney ran the train up the tracks; rumor has it she was a flagman before she became an operator.

It may not happen when we want it too but it can happen. From the time when I was little I wanted to work for CTA because of a relative of mine. I wanted to be a bus operator at first, but after sitting in the 1st car of a train I found that being a rail operator better suits me. As far as Rauner is concerned I WILL NOT let Rauner stand between me and my dream of becoming a Rail Operator.

I think that's been a rule before Brittney ran the train up the tracks; rumor has it she was a flagman before she became an operator.

Not rumor; it is reflected in the transcript (page 13).

Another reason I cited to the transcript is that it shows what the training progression was.

I am a rail operator, currently Green Line. Brittany was never a operator she was a flagman that recently went thru operator school. But yeah, flagman is the way to go now, you have to be hired as that, then slowly transitioned over to become a Motorman. This is actually new though, becaause I came in as a Motorman in 2011.

• Upvote 2

I am a rail operator, currently Green Line. Brittany was never a operator she was a flagman that recently went thru operator school. But yeah, flagman is the way to go now, you have to be hired as that, then slowly transitioned over to become a Motorman. This is actually new though, becaause I came in as a Motorman in 2011.

Someone gave her a key and a train. You saying that someone other than a motorman is responsible for an 8 car train with potentially 1100 passengers on it? Sure there were only 30 some on a truncated owl run, but that didn't seem to be a meaningful distinction.

Someone gave her a key and a train.

You forgot a pillow and Zzzquil and/or Neuro Sleep drink..... :blink:

I shouldn't be making humor on this potentially serious and deadly situation that thankfully didn't involve fatalities, but she overshot a stop once before because she dozed off. That should've been enough for both her and CTA to take corrective action and/or possibly remove her from the Rail Operator position right then and there.

post-10-0-02929800-1427769127_thumb.jpg

post-10-0-73092400-1427769132_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 2

You forgot a pillow and Zzzquil and/or Neuro Sleep drink..... :blink:

I shouldn't be making humor on this potentially serious and deadly situation that thankfully didn't involve fatalities, but she overshot a stop once before because she dozed off. That should've been enough for both her and CTA to take corrective action and/or possibly remove her from the Rail Operator position right then and there.

Or deal with this!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=mUc_aJYlCfk

I still think she was at fault, she's just trying to blame the CTA. Yes, 55 hours in a week is a lot of hours..... BUT..... the CTA said she had 18 hours off between her previous shift and her overnight shift. The human body requires 8 hours of sleep to be functioning fully and she had another 6 to do with as she pleased with 2 to commute to Forest Park Yard or Rosemont Yard to pick up her train and begin her run.

dre, I don't know your schedule is on the Green Line, but I'm sure you're awake and alert if you have 18 hours between your shifts to go to Harlem or 63rd Yard, pick up your train and do your run for the day.