Clever Devices LCD screen

Darius

Besides that, it also shows if the bus is early, on time or late through a section of the display labeled "Minutes behind". Because of the way it's labeled, a positive number says the bus is late and by how much, zero of course would be on time, and a negative number says the bus is early and by how much. Also shown is the operator's run number as shown in the front run box, ID number, and if I'm not mistaken the name of the next upcoming stop.

• Upvote 1

Besides that, it also shows if the bus is early, on time or late through a section of the display labeled "Minutes behind". Because of the way it's labeled, a positive number says the bus is late and by how much, zero of course would be on time, and a negative number says the bus is early and by how much. Also shown is the operator's run number as shown in the front run box, ID number, and if I'm not mistaken the name of the next upcoming stop.

It's shows "Schd Late", "Schd Early" & a "Schd 0" for on time.

I was on a 157 today, #800 & the display was so faint, it was unreadable.

The relief driver at Clinton/Congress also took 15 minutes to get the bus back into gear.

I thought I heard him or the other driver trying to figure out why it wouldn't get into gear say something that the wrong operator ID was entered & that's why it would get into gear, but I could be wrong on that.

It's shows "Schd Late", "Schd Early" & a "Schd 0" for on time.

I was on a 157 today, #800 & the display was so faint, it was unreadable.

The relief driver at Clinton/Congress also took 15 minutes to get the bus back into gear.

I thought I heard him or the other driver trying to figure out why it wouldn't get into gear say something that the wrong operator ID was entered & that's why it would get into gear, but I could be wrong on that.

I knew it was something along those, just couldn't remember the exact details. On that part with what you experienced on #800 riding the 157, I'm not seeing how operator sign-ins on the Clever Devices has anything with shifting gears or any of the other mechanical operations on any given bus.

I knew it was something along those, just couldn't remember the exact details. On that part with what you experienced on #800 riding the 157, I'm not seeing how operator sign-ins on the Clever Devices has anything with shifting gears or any of the other mechanical operations on any given bus.

I thought that as of recent the Clever Device detects wether the driver is out of the seat which then makes the bus not able to move. I THOUGHT that the bus wouldn't move unless a drive logs on? I could be very wrong....

Oh. but it does. Over the last year, the keys that were used to "unlock" shifter were removed, now they have been replaced by a new system. When pulling out or making relief, driver has to enter badge number and a 4-digit number that is computer-generated when driver checks in at the window. If you do not, bus will not go into gear. If you leave the seat for more than 8 seconds, you have to log in again to get bus back into gear (though I suspect the time frame might have been extended since the system was put into place).
  • Upvote 3

Thanks for replies. Do they enter the number in the numpad on the farebox? Because the screen does not have any keys...

Also, do you know if the next target display comes up automatically at the final stop, or do they need to confirm the turnaround to switch the destination signs?

Oh. but it does. Over the last year, the keys that were used to "unlock" shifter were removed, now they have been replaced by a new system. When pulling out or making relief, driver has to enter badge number and a 4-digit number that is computer-generated when driver checks in at the window. If you do not, bus will not go into gear. If you leave the seat for more than 8 seconds, you have to log in again to get bus back into gear (though I suspect the time frame might have been extended since the system was put into place).

I thought they changed it because I no longer saw the keys. The new system is annoying with the constant beeps but I guess its necessary.

Thanks for replies. Do they enter the number in the numpad on the farebox? Because the screen does not have any keys...

Also, do you know if the next target display comes up automatically at the final stop, or do they need to confirm the turnaround to switch the destination signs?

The system changes the destination signs automatically according to schedule. So if you are on #8 @ Waveland the bus will say 8 halsted to broadway while sitting in terminal. Then prior to start of another trip the system switches the sign automaitcally to 8 Halsted-79th.

I thought they changed it because I no longer saw the keys. The new system is annoying with the constant beeps but I guess its necessary.

I guess it deters the 11 year old with the uniform being assigned a bus and taking it for a joy ride. I assume one would have to have a valid operator's badge number, which syncs up with the program in the Clever Device.

The system changes the destination signs automatically according to schedule. So if you are on #8 @ Waveland the bus will say 8 halsted to broadway while sitting in terminal. Then prior to start of another trip the system switches the sign automaitcally to 8 Halsted-79th.

Technically by gps coordinate.

I thought about it a bit after posting that response, and I thought about the joyride incidents from recent years and realized that yeah there has to be some truth in it if they truly dealt with the bus stealing and subsequent joyriding problems as they said they would move to resolve.

I guess it deters the 11 year old with the uniform being assigned a bus and taking it for a joy ride. I assume one would have to have a valid operator's badge number, which syncs up with the program in the Clever Device.

Technically by gps coordinate.

Yeah technically it's gps coordinate but the layover times have to come into play also as implied by ajm522 also has to play a part in some fashion because I've observed similar. I pretty regularly ride the #9 from Clark/Southport and have observed buses display "9 TO IRVING PARK" for most of the layover. And then the destination sign would change to one of the southbound destinations "9 ASHLAND-95TH", "9 ASHLAND" flip "9 TO BEVERLY/103" (in the case of a NF), or "N9 ASHLAND VIA 95" flip "N9 TO RED LINE" without the bus even moving yet.

...without the bus even moving yet.

That must be a new one. At Howard it was just as the bus was making the right turn from Rogers.

Pace had some idiosyncrasies that indicated that it was based on gps, but not quite properly programmed, such as some buses at NWTC flipping just after they left the berth, as opposed to approaching it.

That must be a new one. At Howard it was just as the bus was making the right turn from Rogers.

Pace had some idiosyncrasies that indicated that it was based on gps, but not quite properly programmed, such as some buses at NWTC flipping just after they left the berth, as opposed to approaching it.

It may be new within the last 2 or 3 years because that's about at least how long I've been seeing CTA buses do that. They sit in the terminal or at their layover point with the previous direction, and the sign would flip to the next direction destination within say 5 minutes or less before the time the bus is scheduled to pull away from the terminal/layover point. Now if the bus is scheduled to pull off soon after it reaches the terminal, I have observed that the destination sign will flip to the other direction's destination just as it reaches the terminal as you've seen them do.

• Upvote 2

System automatically goes to the next scheduled destination at the end of the line. Where it gets a little funny is when the "end of the line" is not exactly where it is "supposed" to be. Case in point - WB Addison pullins via Harlem and Forest Preserve. Last actual stop is Addison/Harlem, but CD is set up for routing via Neva-Waveland-Harlem-Addison, so it does not recognize nus is at end of line, but that it is "off route". As a result, signs stays on Addison to Harlem for 10 minutes, after which CD switches to next destination {Forest Glen Garage}, usually around the time bus is at Montrose/Central.

There are in fact quite a few cases where GPS is off by a few feet and thinks end of line is a little ways away from where it is. Also, if a bus is scheduled to sit at terminal for more than 10 minutes, sign will change after bus has been sitting there for 10 minutes or when departure time is 10 minutes away, whichever comes first.

..Where it gets a little funny is when the "end of the line" is not exactly where it is "supposed" to be. Case in point - WB Addison pullins via Harlem and Forest Preserve. Last actual stop is Addison/Harlem, but CD is set up for routing via Neva-Waveland-Harlem-Addison, so it does not recognize nus is at end of line, but that it is "off route". As a result, signs stays on Addison to Harlem for 10 minutes, after which CD switches to next destination {Forest Glen Garage}, usually around the time bus is at Montrose/Central.

There are in fact quite a few cases where GPS is off by a few feet and thinks end of line is a little ways away from where it is. Also, if a bus is scheduled to sit at terminal for more than 10 minutes, sign will change after bus has been sitting there for 10 minutes or when departure time is 10 minutes away, whichever comes first.

Admittedly it isn't going to be that accurate, but both examples show that the GPS could be programmed differently, such as on the Addison example the last stop being Nordica 12619 even if the headsign says Harlem, since theoretically nobody is supposed to get on there to ride the loop. Similarly, in the Pace example, if they can't get it before the berth, they could do it somewhere on Mall Dr., Kimberley or Martindale.

Which brings up the issue--why can't either TA get a flip point on a ciculator? It is moot at the moment with regard to 127, which one way always said downtown and the other said medical center, when obviously it could have flipped at Ogden and Roosevelt and Washington/Madison Michigan. However, it may not be moot if 124 becomes the "Circulator," even though it now has 124 Navy Pier via Washington and 124 Ogilvie Station via Madison. Similarly, Pace 354 has Clockwise or Counterclockwise to Harvey TC, instead of something like Oak Forest via 147th or Oak Forest via 167th, and then flipping to Harvey somewhere on Cicero Ave.

Again projecting into the future, future, people in Niles I guess understand 411 Regular Route and 411 Reverse Route, but if they institute the proposed restructuring, I'm sure Pace isn't going to have any trouble flipping signs for 411 Golf Mill and 413 Golf Mill, even if the buses are interlined at Village Crossing. Sort of the same as when 471 and 473 were interlined at Deerbrook, and essentially were an all day circle on trips leaving HP as 471.

Finally, thanks for explaning jajuan's point.

Which tends to be the case of the #9 at Clark/Southport and the #49 at the Berwyn terminal (another example I thought of but didn't mention in favor of brevity). With the headways of those routes in combination with bunching due to both of those routes being so long, it's not unusual to see a minimum of three or four buses at the north terminus of each route waiting to go back southbound and some of those buses might sit about 10 minutes or a little longer with so many sitting on layover.

I have another question about this: Is that a touch screen or how do drivers enter numbers into it? Do they use the farebox panel?

If it's an old unit they use keys that are on the outer periphery of the unit. On the new updated units its a touch screen interface for entering numbers.