CTA bus encounters with cab drivers

MRChiCity

Yesterday while taking a cab the driver honked at a CTA bus driver and claimed that CTA drivers always cut off cabs. Any current of former CTA operators have encounters like this with cab drivers? By the way I always thought cabs cut off buses and on Michigan Avenue outside water tower place I once saw several cab waiting in a bus stop before a cop yelled at them. Thanks

Cab drivers are the ones who provoke all drivers on the streets including CTA buses. I cant tell you here how many times Ive been cut off by cabs in my eight years as a CTA bus driver. They are the absolute worst drivers anywhere! Ive been nearly run over by their incompetent behavior.

Cab drivers are the ones who provoke all drivers on the streets including CTA buses. I cant tell you here how many times Ive been cut off by cabs in my eight years as a CTA bus driver. They are the absolute worst drivers anywhere! Ive been nearly run over by their incompetent behavior.

tell me about it buddy lol. In the 2yrs as a cta operator I've grown to hate those crazy cab drivers downtown, they are the absolute worst drivers ever lol. They risk their lives and people around them just to pick up a person then they zigzag and cut people just to get by you. They are jerks lol.

I'm not an operator of course, but I have been inside many CTA buses that have been cut off in the bus lane on the east-west streets as well as State Street and Michigan Avenue right at or near the bus stops often enough to be able to say that yes it does seem like the cab drivers are cutting off the buses a lot more often than MRChiCity's cab driver was making it sound like CTA drivers do to them. And from my fellow bus riders' reactions and consensus they hate seeing the downtown cabbies coming, it's easy to see why cab drivers run into some difficulties getting public support each time they go before the City Council asking for a fare increase. I'm often hearing many on the bus saying their focus should be on learning how to drive before expecting city residents to fork over more money in a fare increase. It's not just downtown. It's all over the city. They cut off cars, trucks, and buses rushing to get to a fare instead of signaling before dashing across multiple lanes of traffic. In some areas they will slow down in front of bus stops, blocking buses' access even though no one at the bus stop has flagged them down. The only thing they succeed in doing is getting angry yells from bus drivers and passengers to get the heck out of the way.

• Upvote 1

tell me about it buddy lol. In the 2yrs as a cta operator I've grown to hate those crazy cab drivers downtown, they are the absolute worst drivers ever lol. They risk their lives and people around them just to pick up a person then they zigzag and cut people just to get by you. They are jerks lol.

The worst incident I recall with a cab driver was on the #156 LaSalle SB one midday. A cab cut me off at Division. I had a female passenger, while she was getting up to pay her fare this POS cut me off, I was forced to jam on the brakes, the passenger fell forward and struck the farebox and the grab bar. She suffered a broken nose. I got her help. I was given two days off for it. That day I never felt the same way about cab drivers again!

I'm not an operator as well & I can't tell you how many times cab drivers have tried to make a turn while I have the right of way trying to cross the street especially at State & Lake some of them are idiots I think a lot of cab drivers need to retake Drivers Ed. At one point I wanted to be a bus operator like my dad, but seeing buses getting cut off by cab drivers and amongst other things I think being a rail operator might be a better fit for me.

As mentioned above, I have seen cops give cab drivers a well deserved yelling at on Michigan Avenue for lurking at bus stops even when no one was hailing them. 5750 two days off when it wasn't your fault why????? Hopefully you got the cab number and company to report the idiot although I would venture to guess that nothing happened to him.

When I was a charter driver, I used to love to get into it with cabbies at Palmer House when pickup on Wabash. They either blocked the curb or double parked... blocking me in. The only justice I ever saw was a cab getting busted by CPD for turning right in front of my bus while picking up passengers on 8th and Michigan. This was a once in a lifetime event. Just thought they had a quota to fill.

• Upvote 1

Most cab drivers seem to be bad drivers. Heck, I don't even need to watch my cab cut off a CTA bus to know that. The driver attitudes are terrible too. The only cool cab driver I had was a Blue Cab driver who drove me to O'Hare for my flight to Seoul. He didn't have nice words for a competing cab company, but he was pleased that we called Blue Cab to take us to the airport.

I take city cabs from the airports and the joke is that the cab ride to/from the airport is more dangerous than the flight itself...

• 3 weeks later...

I am not a bus operator, but I hate how most of these cab drivers drive. I seen them cut off both cars and CTA buses while I be in downtown, and seeing near misses. I wont use a city cab unless I have to, or I have to get to Union Station to make my Metra Train Home that I won't think I will not make in time by walking, or hoping an CTA bus..

Most cab drivers seem to be bad drivers. Heck, I don't even need to watch my cab cut off a CTA bus to know that. The driver attitudes are terrible too. The only cool cab driver I had was a Blue Cab driver who drove me to O'Hare for my flight to Seoul. He didn't have nice words for a competing cab company, but he was pleased that we called Blue Cab to take us to the airport.

I take city cabs from the airports and the joke is that the cab ride to/from the airport is more dangerous than the flight itself...

The ones going to and from the airport are horrible. I work at O'Hare, & I gotten sideswiped by an cab driver I-90 going to O'Hare trying to cut in front of me years ago. This Cabbie sideswipe my front passenger side, even thou I was blasting my horn at him to get his attention, he still hit me, & he try to get mad at me even thou he was the one that caused it. I wanted to go off on that cabbie, but my patience's came in & stopped me, & just barley made it to work on time.

Oh, Also on my first year working at O'Hare when I was working on mornings, on my way home when I lived off of Ewing Ave, an cabbie hit the side of the CTA 26 express bus I was on, trying to use the left lane on Michigan Ave. at Balbo as an left turn lane even thou the bus was already in the left turn lane, and the cab had it's side mirror broken off by the bus. The bus I was riding was one of those NABI 60ft buses before it was pulled out of service, & all the passengers had to pack onto an already crowded 40ft new flyer bus that came afterwards.

When I was an operator and a cab illegally parked in a bus stop, I would always push them out of there!!! Sometimes they move, other times Id get a hand gesture! But they know they are not allowed to park in a bus stop! I absolutely have no sympathy whatsoever for cab drivers! They are the most inconsiderate and the worst drivers you can imagine and are a serious safety hazard to everyone around them! I dont know why more is done to curb cab driver behavior!

When I was an operator and a cab illegally parked in a bus stop, I would always push them out of there!!! Sometimes they move, other times Id get a hand gesture! But they know they are not allowed to park in a bus stop! I absolutely have no sympathy whatsoever for cab drivers! They are the most inconsiderate and the worst drivers you can imagine and are a serious safety hazard to everyone around them! I dont know why more is done to curb cab driver behavior!

Let me make sure I'm understanding the highlighted text correctly.... you would take your bus, kiss bumpers and start applying light pressure to the accelerator to "push" the cab out of the spot? Don't get me wrong.... I like the idea for any scofflaw who decides to park in a bus stop, but for one, any damage(even a paint chip/scrape) could be considered an accident forcing you to have to go out of service and for the accident to be on your record as your fault since you "pushed" the cab out of the bus stop.

But you are right though, they should not be parked there.

When I was younger, I had just gotten off the what was then the 14. I was about to cross the street and the 14, while it pulled up to the curb, didn't pull all the way up to the intersection (there was about 20 ft of space between front of the bus and the beginning of the crosswalk). I had the walk sign, and I was getting ready to cross, while at the same time the bus was pulling up to the crosswalk slowly. As I was walking, a cab came up, attempting to make a right turn, cut off the bus and almost hit me. This bus driver was driving 7577 and began yelling expletives at the cab, who simply gave him the finger and yelled something back about not using turn signals. I hightailed it out of there, since my 75 was coming.

Let me make sure I'm understanding the highlighted text correctly.... you would take your bus, kiss bumpers and start applying light pressure to the accelerator to "push" the cab out of the spot? Don't get me wrong.... I like the idea for any scofflaw who decides to park in a bus stop, but for one, any damage(even a paint chip/scrape) could be considered an accident forcing you to have to go out of service and for the accident to be on your record as your fault since you "pushed" the cab out of the bus stop.

But you are right though, they should not be parked there.

My apologies! I should have been a little more clear with my statement. When I say "Pushing" them out of the bus stop, I meant driving up behind them, positioning myself to curb the bus and giving them a tap of the horn so they remove themselves from the bus stop area. Certainly I cant bump their vehicle to make them move. Your right! Now it would be an accident. :) But I was merciless when it came to cab drivers! :)

...The ones going to and from the airport are horrible. I work at O'Hare, & I gotten sideswiped by an cab driver I-90 going to O'Hare trying to cut in front of me years ago. This Cabbie sideswipe my front passenger side, even thou I was blasting my horn at him to get his attention, he still hit me, & he try to get mad at me even thou he was the one that caused it. I wanted to go off on that cabbie, but my patience's came in & stopped me, & just barley made it to work on time...

Fortunately I got a family member to pick me up from Midway this time. What a jerk (the cab driver).

...This bus driver was driving 7577 and began yelling expletives at the cab, who simply gave him the finger and yelled something back about not using turn signals. I hightailed it out of there, since my 75 was coming.

Eww. Cab drivers seem to yell a lot too. I got a yeller from Midway once. He was yelling at his supervisor or something and somehow quickly managed to calm down enough to happily ask me where he was taking me.