2014 CTA Holiday Bus

Kevin

It's not #4333, that's for sure. Nice bus though, looks like it will be the best one yet. Whoa did you see the pictures of the inside of this bus The rudolph lights light up on the outside and it has one of those electric faux fireplaces in it with a mantle and a Santa chair in the back of the bus!! I guess Santa will ride this? Nice touch on sending it all over the city with a schedule posted. I wonder if this will be a regular thing every Xmas?

I just saw this off links from the homepage. They really did go all out on this one after a few years of doing no holiday bus at all. And after all those previous years of using one of the 40 foot models, this time they went with an artic. I too wonder which clean diesel artic this is. I'm sure sw is also wondering so he can make a note of it since he's been tracking what bus used as the -Holiday bus for that given year. This time he'll actually be able to post a fleet number for this year when that's discovered. :lol:

I also wonder how long after the holidays it'll be before they remove all the decorations and put the bus back in the standard livery.

I just saw this off links from the homepage. They really did go all out on this one after a few years of doing no holiday bus at all. And after all those previous years of using one of the 40 foot models, this time they went with an artic.....

If I understand correctly, the former ones were projects in individual garages, and there wasn't any schedule of service on particular routes, so this would be a first.

If I understand correctly, the former ones were projects in individual garages, and there wasn't any schedule of service on particular routes, so this would be a first.

Yes this is true. It is a first beyond maybe being the first artic being dubbed a Holiday bus.

And given there are likely copyright issues in using the name Rudolph, nice touch on their part in just making this depicted reindeer another one of Rudolph's presumed relatives, Ralphie. Its runs on the 22 and 49 will bring it in or near my neighborhood for sightings and possible rides without having to go into downtown to do so. :lol:

The way that press release is set up, it looks to be it will become an annual event seeing how much effort the agency took to create this special service and then debut the bus at an annual holiday event. Looks like the CTA based the Holiday Bus schedule off the lessons they've learned from the Holiday Train as they've seem to have the Holiday Train schedule and service protocols together. Good Job CTA on extending the holiday cheer to everyone around the city.

I just saw this off links from the homepage. They really did go all out on this one after a few years of doing no holiday bus at all. And after all those previous years of using one of the 40 foot models, this time they went with an artic. I too wonder which clean diesel artic this is. I'm sure sw is also wondering so he can make a note of it since he's been tracking what bus used as the -Holiday bus for that given year. This time he'll actually be able to post a fleet number for this year when that's discovered. :lol:

I also wonder how long after the holidays it'll be before they remove all the decorations and put the bus back in the standard livery.

Well, I'll mark it on my rosters with a Red and Green crossing like this.... 6000.

The way that press release is set up, it looks to be it will become an annual event seeing how much effort the agency took to create this special service and then debut the bus at an annual holiday event. Looks like the CTA based the Holiday Bus schedule off the lessons they've learned from the Holiday Train as they've seem to have the Holiday Train schedule and service protocols together. Good Job CTA on extending the holiday cheer to everyone around the city.

Time will tell if it'll be an annual event, Juniorz. That means one selected bus will have to be pulled from service a few weeks prior to be "dressed up" for the Holiday Season. I presume the D60LFR's were selected because of viaduct clearance on some routes. The DE60LF's and DE60LFR's would probably have too many issues with their roof pods requiring reroutes. Another thing that may have an impact on the return of this bus next year is condition, as in interior. If passengers damage the decorations deliberately, graffiti the bus up, etc... CTA may not bring it back. Finally, going back to point two and looking at the nice wheelwell and knowing that people will damage the decorations throwing garbage bags full of junk up there will probably make this bus a one-and-done deal. But, we'll enjoy the debut of CTA Holiday Bus 2014 and see come this time next year if there will be a CTA Holiday Bus 2015...

Hmm.... I wonder what the bus number is. Through process of elimination I have eliminated 61 possible buses it could be. The list below is what's left. Maybe with a little luck we can figure this thing out unless someone says what the number is and spoils my fun!!

Possible bus numbers the holiday bus could be...???

#4336, #4339, #4347, #4348, #4370, #4392 (6 possible bus numbers left) (last updated 5:56 PM 11/26/14)

Just for fun I'm going to guess the bus is #4399. We'll see how close I come.

Even though the bus has been stated, I will continue this list in fun. Who knows maybe we'll get a surprise!!

• Upvote 4

Hmm.... I wonder what the bus number is. Through process of elimination I have eliminated 13 possible buses it could be. The list below is what's left. Maybe with a little luck we can figure this thing out unless someone says what the number is and spoils my fun!!

Possible bus numbers the holiday bus could be...???

#4334 - #4344, #4347, #4348, #4350 - #4354, #4356 - #4366, #4370, #4372 - #4376, #4378 - #4384, #4386, #4387, #4389 - #4395, #4397 - #4399 (54 possible bus numbers left) (last updated 12:37 AM 11/22/14)

Just for fun I'm going to guess the bus is #4399. We'll see how close I come.

Process of elimination will get us close to it, possibly with just less than five before someone boards and says it's bus #43XX!!! But, I took my very first pic of a D60LFR earlier in the summer, and I'm going to stick with it as the probability for me... we'll see if I hit the reindeer on the nose :) or how close I am to the actual bus number if not...

Let's have a bit of fun, forum members!!!

Pin The Bus Number On The Christmas Bus!!! As the numbers are eliminated, they'll be grayed out... no physical prizes for choosing the correct number, but let's have a little fun and see if someone can predict the number!!! Leave your guess in the thread, or PM me if you prefer, and I'll add your username by the number(1 person per number, please) Kevin and MetroShadow, your picks are valued too if you wish...

First one who requests the bus number(whether in PM or on this thread) will get that number, so if it's taken, please select another.... let's make this a fun forum game!!! :)

Pin The Number On The Christmas Bus! 2014 Edition!

4399- BusHunter

4398-

4397-

4396-

4395- jajuan

4394-

4393-

4392-

4391-

4390-

4389-

4388-

4387-

4386-

4385-

4384-

4383-

4382-

4381-

4380-

4379- mikeymc77

4378-

4377-

4376-

4375-

4374-

4373-

4372-

4371-

4370-

4369-

4368-

4367-

4366-

4365-

4364-

4363-

4362- TripleTransit1

4361-

4360-

4359-

4358- Brandon93

4357-

4356- sw4400

4355-

4354-

4353-

4352-

4351-

4350-

4349-

4348-

4347-

4346-

4345-

4344- twyztdmynd

4343-

4342-

4341-

4340-

4339- Kevin

4338-

4337-

4336-

4335-

4334-

post-10-0-34176400-1416639346_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

This wasn't the actual first foray into a Christmas Bus for the CTA.... they did this back in the 1970's, called the Free Santa Claus Bus. While not as elaborate as the New Flyer D60LFR that will be gracing Chicago's streets soon, it was the pioneer Christmas Bus...

https://www.flickr.com/photos/ctaweb/6560366613/

They also did something similar with TMC RTS buses #4436 in the 1990s and #4463 in 2005.

mid_CTA4436Planitarium.jpgmid_CTA4436.jpg

mid_4463hol_rt147_MichPearson_11252005mp

• Upvote 1

They also did something similar with TMC RTS buses #4436 in the 1990s and #4463 in 2005.

I remember the TMC, TripleTransit1. I was just mentioning the pilot Christmas bus, which was GM Fishbowl #1306. Anyone on the forum remember this bus? The exterior was pretty plain jane except for the Santa figure on the front and the roller curtain that said "Free Santa Claus Bus". Was it decorated a little on the inside?

Time will tell if it'll be an annual event, Juniorz. That means one selected bus will have to be pulled from service a few weeks prior to be "dressed up" for the Holiday Season. I presume the D60LFR's were selected because of viaduct clearance on some routes. The DE60LF's and DE60LFR's would probably have too many issues with their roof pods requiring reroutes. Another thing that may have an impact on the return of this bus next year is condition, as in interior. If passengers damage the decorations deliberately, graffiti the bus up, etc... CTA may not bring it back. Finally, going back to point two and looking at the nice wheelwell and knowing that people will damage the decorations throwing garbage bags full of junk up there will probably make this bus a one-and-done deal. But, we'll enjoy the debut of CTA Holiday Bus 2014 and see come this time next year if there will be a CTA Holiday Bus 2015...

The antlers looking like they rise higher than the fins of the DE60LFRs and the battery packs of either of the hybrid artic models says that they had to carefully choose routes that don't pass under low overpasses. That in part should answer the question in another post over reasons why some parts of the city will see the bus more than others. Plus let's see how things unfold THIS year before we make any assessments over what may come next year and beyond. Now on to the brighter and more fun note. My guess sw is 4395 if that bus hasn't been seen in service today in regular livery.