More Bus Moves

sw4400

Durbin using a lot of @tags and not getting anything other than consultant money, for which he always takes credit, including today at Union Station, is the problem, not the solution. Note the use of the phrase "help plan."

But since we're talking of a federal bill, that criticism can't realistically apply to all 100 senators especially when we consider other TAs got some big projects like real BRT going and some other senators don't even make a show of caring about transit issues.

And by the way, when I observed 1727 on the #9 earlier I noticed its exhaust pipe looked like that of a NABI 7500.

But since we're talking of a federal bill, that criticism can't realistically apply to all 100 senators especially when we consider other TAs got some big projects like real BRT going and some other senators don't even make a show of caring about transit issues.

I'm not sure what to conclude about this. On one hand, apparently nobody in Congress wants to do what it takes to get a transportation bill done.

On the other hand, Durbin has a long history of holding press conferences announcing grants that amount to little, other than planning money. The only grant of substance for which he claimed credit was for the 33 hybrid buses, after withdrawing an announcement for 13. I can't tell if the consulting community is one of his prime contributors, or "regional planning" here is so bad that CTA can only win competitions on marginal projects (such as the Loop Link, or 2 of 5 electric buses requested), but there has to be a reason why this area gets so little payback in actual construction money.

I'm not sure what to conclude about this. On one hand, apparently nobody in Congress wants to do what it takes to get a transportation bill done.

On the other hand, Durbin has a long history of holding press conferences announcing grants that amount to little, other than planning money. The only grant of substance for which he claimed credit was for the 33 hybrid buses, after withdrawing an announcement for 13. I can't tell if the consulting community is one of his prime contributors, or "regional planning" here is so bad that CTA can only win competitions on marginal projects (such as the Loop Link, or 2 of 5 electric buses requested), but there has to be a reason why this area gets so little payback in actual construction money.

Well even though you might not have intended it, but I got from your prior statement that regional planning is just that bad and the crux of the problem due to CTA, Pace and Metra looking toward their own interests most of the time in their present structure rather operate under truer forms of cooperation and coordination that they did prior to all the current selling of passes that are valid only for that agency or infighting about who serves what near the city limits and in the Cook County burbs. I believe you found wording in the law that gave CTA legal authorization to operate in other parts of Cook County that isn't necessarily the city proper. My taking note that other TAs have actually gotten BRT running that fits the current stricter definition under federal rules while being relatively non-disruptive to remaining car and truck traffic (as opposed to the Ashland BRT proposal being slowed by the crazy fantasy that most left turns on Ashland can be axed from 95th to Irving Park) appeared to be evidence of how Chicago manages to muck up its own good ideas in the transit arena. Hence why I think your criticism as far as Durbin is concerned can't be realistically applied to the other 99 senators. TAs in other senators' jurisdictions are getting things done under past transportation bill funds. Simply put, the need for Congress to actually get a transportation bill done doesn't lose urgency or importance just because our own local "transit" officials in the Chicago region are a bunch of dimwitted nimrods.

Well even though you might not have intended it, but I got from your prior statement that regional planning is just that bad and the crux of the problem due to CTA, Pace and Metra looking toward their own interests most of the time in their present structure rather operate under truer forms of cooperation and coordination that they did prior to all the current selling of passes that are valid only for that agency or infighting about who serves what near the city limits and in the Cook County burbs. I believe you found wording in the law that gave CTA legal authorization to operate in other parts of Cook County that isn't necessarily the city proper. My taking note that other TAs have actually gotten BRT running that fits the current stricter definition under federal rules while being relatively non-disruptive to remaining car and truck traffic (as opposed to the Ashland BRT proposal being slowed by the crazy fantasy that most left turns on Ashland can be axed from 95th to Irving Park) appeared to be evidence of how Chicago manages to muck up its own good ideas in the transit arena. Hence why I think your criticism as far as Durbin is concerned can't be realistically applied to the other 99 senators. TAs in other senators' jurisdictions are getting things done under past transportation bill funds. Simply put, the need for Congress to actually get a transportation bill done doesn't lose urgency or importance just because our own local "transit" officials in the Chicago region are a bunch of dimwitted nimrods.

They may be dimwitted nimrods, but I don't think it is just the 3 service board problem. Pace gets stuff, but it has gotten delusional, too (with the I-294 Compobus proposal and the $2.3 billion for ART proposal). However, it does have the backing of entities like the Tollway Authority with respect to getting CMAQ funding for the I-90 project, and Niles with respect to the Milwaukee Pulse project. Maybe the difference is that its capital needs are minuscule compared to the other 2 agencies.

The real issue is the one you imply with the Ashland BRT one. The "we could listen better" Emanuel administration tries to ram projects such as the Ashland BRT and Clark Jct. flyover, down people's throats, especially with bogus statistics in the alternatives analyses, gets community opposition, and then wonders why they go nowhere, instead of trying to engage the community. On the other hand, I don't think there is opposition to the Red Line to 130th extension, but he can't figure out the financing for that either. However, the feds apparently keep throwing consultant money into it.

My reference to "regional planning" was more directed to jokes like CMAP.

Mentioning other places, Texas seems to get its share of projects, but I assume its representatives are as anti federal government as one gets.

They may be dimwitted nimrods, but I don't think it is just the 3 service board problem. Pace gets stuff, but it has gotten delusional, too (with the I-294 Compobus proposal and the $2.3 billion for ART proposal). However, it does have the backing of entities like the Tollway Authority with respect to getting CMAQ funding for the I-90 project, and Niles with respect to the Milwaukee Pulse project. Maybe the difference is that its capital needs are minuscule compared to the other 2 agencies.

The real issue is the one you imply with the Ashland BRT one. The "we could listen better" Emanuel administration tries to ram projects such as the Ashland BRT and Clark Jct. flyover, down people's throats, especially with bogus statistics in the alternatives analyses, gets community opposition, and then wonders why they go nowhere, instead of trying to engage the community. On the other hand, I don't think there is opposition to the Red Line to 130th extension, but he can't figure out the financing for that either. However, the feds apparently keep throwing consultant money into it.

My reference to "regional planning" was more directed to jokes like CMAP.

Mentioning other places, Texas seems to get its share of projects, but I assume its representatives are as anti federal government as one gets.

Your mention of Texas is another reason I gave the response above because I look at how far ahead other city's TAs get past CTA and that city might be under the constituency of a US Senator or House member who has the rep of being staunchly anti-federal government in their politics.

Didn't see or feel like making a thread for this, but they already seem to be making decent progress on the Ravenswood Connector rehab. A lot of the rail ties between Armitage and Sedgwick are brand new, and my purple line had to have hit at least 45MPH between Sedgwick and the tight curves there...haven't seen trains go that fast for a long time.

I saw & heard something today on a 22 that I never saw before.

A 20 something got on, his Ventra card didn't work [nothing unusual there], so he paid with cash & then he asked the driver for a receipt!

He was told they don't have them & he walked back with a baffled look on his face.

I'm guessing, he uses his Ventra printout to get reimbursed from work.

Same bus, the display above the driver was flashing "Inbox xx" the entire way.

Anyone know what that's about?

So i was playing MLBTheShow14 on my PS. I played at US Cellular Field and at the end of the game they give the attendance and scores etc. So this guy comes on and says you can take the CTA red line or Pace bus. :huh: I forgot what they called the pace bus exactly but it wasn't express. It was Pace ???. So I was kind of wowed out, did they have to get rights to say that. I noticed the Citgo sign was missing in boston.

• Upvote 1

I saw & heard something today on a 22 that I never saw before.

A 20 something got on, his Ventra card didn't work [nothing unusual there], so he paid with cash & then he asked the driver for a receipt!

He was told they don't have them & he walked back with a baffled look on his face.

I'm guessing, he uses his Ventra printout to get reimbursed from work.

Same bus, the display above the driver was flashing "Inbox xx" the entire way.

Anyone know what that's about?

That means control is sending out a message to the buses, usually either a reroute or "look for a lost (something)on your bus". This used to be thru the MDT (the thing under the Ventra display to the right of the driver)but now has migrated to the clever device display above. When a bus gets the new clever device blue/white display, it takes over completely from the MDT as far as sending and receiving messages.

So, I just saw what appeared to be a 5000-series go by southbound from Armitage (1:11 AM). I didn't have time to look closer and see the signs, but my train tracker shows this:

hgPcS.png

I haven't gotten any alerts about red lines being rerouted (in fact, the opposite is going to happen later today), so what on earth is going on?

EDIT: Just checked again...it's almost at Clark/Lake:

hgPyi.png

But...hold on a second...run #1000?! What kind of a run number is that?

Well, you don't see this that often. Courtesy of Bolton's on Wabash.

It has been reported that some of the businesses are worried because Wabash will be closed for the construction of the Washington-Wabash station, also that Richard Branson was oft the hook because his hotel is north of the L.

It has been reported that some of the businesses are worried because Wabash will be closed for the construction of the Washington-Wabash station, also that Richard Branson was oft the hook because his hotel is north of the L.

Ahhhh, I see! Well, he dodged a huge bullet. So far, that's the only store that's having a sale. I wonder if some jewelery stores are going to be affected?

Ahhhh, I see! Well, he dodged a huge bullet. So far, that's the only store that's having a sale. I wonder if some jewelery stores are going to be affected?

Sun-Times article had some jewelers apprehensive. Of course, it is easier for them to pack up their inventory and go somewhere else or wait it out than to offer discounts.

Also a little more detail in this ABC7 story.

• Upvote 1

I saw an actual 5000-series go by though...was it out-of-service but still for some reason triggering the train tracker?

Given the Red and Purple are sharing the same track SB between just south of Lawrence to just north of Belmont near Clark Junction, it is indeed possible it was a glitch. So the question for you is was the train in question 6 cars or 8 cars?

Given the Red and Purple are sharing the same track SB between just south of Lawrence to just north of Belmont near Clark Junction, it is indeed possible it was a glitch. So the question for you is was the train in question 6 cars or 8 cars?

I wasn't able to count, but it was at 1:10 in the morning, so it wasn't a purple line.

I wasn't able to count, but it was at 1:10 in the morning, so it wasn't a purple line.

If it was a purple then something would have been wrong with that scenario. :lol: But since you mention the late hour, maybe there was some kind of maintenance going on in the subway. Since it's now Friday, CTA would have already updated the weekly service change alerts making it impossible to double check on the website whether that might have been it.