Seen on the blue line, from back in the day.

2200fan

70 MPH cab signal was to allow train to run at maximum 58 MPH without penalty for exceeding 55 cab signal and with going to brake position. The trains will not run at 70 MPH.

I know the trains don't do 70 now. I was wondering if this was from when they did..

CTA trains never ran at 70 MPH. Read my post again. I told you why the 70 MPH cab signal existed.

Skokie Swift was an exception in 1964.

I must respectfully disagree. February 2nd 1970, I started attending school downtown. This was the day after the Jefferson Park extension opened. I was getting on at the new Belmont station, coming home at Jackson & Dearborn. The trains were crowded during rush hour so I'd stand at the front, usually watching the train operator. I personally saw the brand new 2200's hit 70 mph on the speedometer when there was enough room. This was usually between Division and Grand on a "B" train. I stopped attending that school in the summer of 1972. The next time I rode this line was several years later and the trains were then limited to 55 mph as they are now.

• Upvote 4

I must respectfully disagree. February 2nd 1970, I started attending school downtown. This was the day after the Jefferson Park extension opened. I was getting on at the new Belmont station, coming home at Jackson & Dearborn. The trains were crowded during rush hour so I'd stand at the front, usually watching the train operator. I personally saw the brand new 2200's hit 70 mph on the speedometer when there was enough room. This was usually between Division and Grand on a "B" train. I stopped attending that school in the summer of 1972. The next time I rode this line was several years later and the trains were then limited to 55 mph as they are now.

Ditto...

I would get on at the Addison station on Saturdays when the Jefferson Park extension opened and would sit up front on my "A" train to watch the tracks primarily outside, but in the tunnels could see the operator's(back then- motorman's) display. Almost every time between Chicago and Lake Transfer(now Clark/Lake) would not only see 70 mph, but they would also exceed briefly before getting the 1st tone to slow down or even the 2nd tone which forcibly slowed down the train considerably, especially before the curve at Lake St. Can also remember some 6000's also getting up to 70mph. So on that line, at the time, since car sets were either 2000's or 6000's they all got up to 70 mph.

The 6000's with the open windows(no air conditioning) were unbearably loud back then, so the 2200 seemed so much quieter in the non-winter season. Also, on cooler days, passengers would generally roll down the windows when entering that particular tunnel as it louder than the new Kimball subway.

And yes, with skip-stop and faster trains, it made sense to wait for that "B" train to pass to board an "A" train for my station. Today, people can't seem to handle a bus passing a stop due to bunching.

• Upvote 3

Ditto...

... Almost every time between Chicago and Lake Transfer(now Clark/Lake) would not only see 70 mph, but they would also exceed briefly before getting the 1st tone to slow down or even the 2nd tone which forcibly slowed down the train considerably, especially before the curve at Lake St. Can also remember some 6000's also getting up to 70mph. So on that line, at the time, since car sets were either 2000's or 6000's they all got up to 70 mph....

Both of your reports note that this was in the subway, which, until a few years ago, was only under block signal control. Cab signal territory was only north of the incline to Logan Square, so the question would have been whether the beeping started at 55 mph on that segment. The usual line was that the cars were capable of 70 mph, but the cab signals limited them to 55.

Update: Noting that the first post is about near Jefferson Park, maybe that came later, too.