Derailment in non-revenue red line tunnel?

briman94

I just hopped on NB red line at Roosevelt, and when I was looking south waiting for the train to arrive, I saw something odd in the non-revenue tunnel leading to the south side elevated. It looked like a 2600 that had derailed in the northbound tunnel, no more than 200 feet south of the Roosevelt platform. I could see workers walking around the train. Anybody know what happened?

• Upvote 4

I just hopped on NB red line at Roosevelt, and when I was looking south waiting for the train to arrive, I saw something odd in the non-revenue tunnel leading to the south side elevated. It looked like a 2600 that had derailed in the northbound tunnel, no more than 200 feet south of the Roosevelt platform. I could see workers walking around the train. Anybody know what happened?

Nothing to report on the CTA website.

Interesting find... I wonder what it was doing there in the first place. Last major thing to happen to the tracks was the Red Line Dan Ryan reroute. Filming for an episode of Chicago Fire was also done on the tracks.

Nothing to report on the CTA website.

Unless the train is close enough to the service tracks that a regular train could run into it while entering Roosevelt, there's no reason why Red Line trains should be delayed.

Interesting find... I wonder what it was doing there in the first place. Last major thing to happen to the tracks was the Red Line Dan Ryan reroute. Filming for an episode of Chicago Fire was also done on the tracks.

Unless the train is close enough to the service tracks that a regular train could run into it while entering Roosevelt, there's no reason why Red Line trains should be delayed.

Hold those thoughts guys because you both just helped me pieced the unexpected scenario that I saw this morning when I was on the orange line. That's probably the reason why I saw both NB and SB 13th st portals was covered with black plastic. Pretty much nobody couldn't see what was going on inside the tunnel. I was watching while my train was in motion like what the hell happened down there!
  • Upvote 1

Are they still filming for Fire or something? It didn't look like there was a lot of commotion...either it happened a while before I got down there or it was planned. The train had no lights but I could barely make out a red or orange destination sign.

Are they still filming for Fire or something? It didn't look like there was a lot of commotion...either it happened a while before I got down there or it was planned. The train had no lights but I could barely make out a red or orange destination sign.

I'm not sure for the time being.

I was there yesterday by the subway portal. It was filming for an episode of "Chicago Fire" Theyve used the portal once before for filming. Last time they used a 4 car, 3200 series train.

I was there yesterday by the subway portal. It was filming for an episode of "Chicago Fire" Theyve used the portal once before for filming. Last time they used a 4 car, 3200 series train.

For those than haven't seen the show, it's great when they incorporate CTA shots into it. Their sister show, Chicago PD has as well.