CTA on rapid bus delays: Blame RTA (WBBM Radio)

ctrabs74

Looks like "Forest the Yes Man" is pointing fingers at the RTA, this time on whatever bus rapid transit schemes CTA is trying to develop (from WBBM NewsRadio):

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/08/14/cta-effort-to-speed-up-buses-delayed-by-slow-rta-funding/

Saw it. Typical tactic of the Emanuel administration. Apparently the RTA only has money for whatever intercepts the signal sent out by the buses, but Rahm apparently wants them to change all the traffic signals.

Same excuse given for why they can't make the yellow lights legal and still want to collect off the red light cameras.

Looks like "Forest the Yes Man" is pointing fingers at the RTA, this time on whatever bus rapid transit schemes CTA is trying to develop (from WBBM NewsRadio):

http://chicago.cbslocal.com/2014/08/14/cta-effort-to-speed-up-buses-delayed-by-slow-rta-funding/

Saw it. Typical tactic of the Emanuel administration. Apparently the RTA only has money for whatever intercepts the signal sent out by the buses, but Rahm apparently wants them to change all the traffic signals.

Same excuse given for why they can't make the yellow lights legal and still want to collect off the red light cameras.

Saw a printed press news article on this on the home page. CTA is also giving this as being reason J14 still hasn't gotten the traffic signal priority that was supposed to be part of the original conversion of the prior 14 into BRT lite service. From what I understood of the dispute, Claypool is saying that RTA is holding back funds. But RTA says that the money that CTA got so far is all they qualified for up this point in addition to CTA (read that as Emanuel) wanting to use the traffic signal funds for more than they were intended as Busjack mentioned, namely doing more extensive upgrades and repairs to the signals and not just upgrading with the signal priority technology as the feds intended when they provided the grant.

Saw a printed press news article on this on the home page. CTA is also giving this as being reason J14 still hasn't gotten the traffic signal priority that was supposed to be part of the original conversion of the prior 14 into BRT lite service. ....

Supposedly the federal grant was only for Jeffery and Anthony. Thus, if RTA was giving them money out of some TSP fund it administers, that would have been different (article says it is a CMAQ grant, while the Jeffery Jump was a Liveability Grant; the article said "Currently, the only CTA bus route to have such equipment is the J14/Jeffrey Jump, which was financed separately, between 73rd and 84th Streets.").

• 3 weeks later...

Should have just left it as a plain old express (14) route, which is all it is anyway and save a heck of a lot of money and nonsense.

J14 they got the $10 million federal Liveability grant. As I noted elsewhere, better here than Phoenix.

As I also noted above, this Emanuel complaint is separate b.s.

J14 they got the $10 million federal Liveability grant. As I noted elsewhere, better here than Phoenix.

As I also noted above, this Emanuel complaint is separate b.s.

Now that I thought about it after you reminded us of that being a separate round of b.s from Emanuel and Co., would this be related more to the traffic signal priority tests they were supposed doing that started when Archer Garage was still around and was the reason that the 49 was previously run with all 6400s except during owl service up till about a couple of years ago when NP gave up its 20 Novas that were primarily for use on 49?

Now that I thought about it after you reminded us of that being a separate round of b.s from Emanuel and Co., would this be related more to the traffic signal priority tests they were supposed doing that started when Archer Garage was still around and was the reason that the 49 was previously run with all 6400s except during owl service up till about a couple of years ago when NP gave up its 20 Novas that were primarily for use on 49?

I forgot about that, but yes, that was tested when Archer was still around and why NP got the Novas.

I wonder if Emanuel got the connection.