New call-n-ride service (Tinley Park)

MetroShadow

What do they mean it's on a first come first serve basis? There's not going to be people waiting for hours. Sounds like they would need many buses or vans for this like the paratransit bus.

It is the same as all Call and Rides. There is not any dispatch (otherwise it would be Dial and Ride), but someone calls the cell phone number and either the driver picks up the phone and writes down the request or it goes to voice mail, which the driver checks.

Also, the bus has the assigned time point and then circulates around the area, so the driver picks the passenger up within one of those one hour cycles (apparently half hour in Tinley Park, with a few skips).

Since they use community vehicles or paratransits, the maximum capacity is 11 or 15.

It is not a taxi service or UberX.

Strange thing there is that it has an area code 630 number, but the area is nowhere near there (actually 708).

According to a couple of look-up sites on the web, the (630) 306-xxxx exchange is based out of Roselle. Unless that's where the contractor is based out of (I don't know off the top of my head any PACE contractors that are in Northern DuPage), that's a rather odd arrangement and a heck of a hike from well west of O'Hare to the Southwest Suburbs near I-80.

According to a couple of look-up sites on the web, the (630) 306-xxxx exchange is based out of Roselle. Unless that's where the contractor is based out of (I don't know off the top of my head any PACE contractors that are in Northern DuPage), that's a rather odd arrangement and a heck of a hike from well west of O'Hare to the Southwest Suburbs near I-80.

Usually the paratransit operator operates this, in which case it would be MV in Alsip.

However, I noted that the number is a cell phone number.* A cell phone number could be anywhere, but someone with a landline in Tinley Park (or in the almost inconceivable situation, somebody having to use a pay phone) would have to pay for a long distance call (local here being limited to 15 miles). I assume that someone who has to use call and ride doesn't have the money to pay for an unlimited long distance phone plan, unless maybe they are using Comcast instead of AT&T.

*The website I found said New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC, which really is AT&T Wireless. I bet that the number eventually gets changed.

Usually the paratransit operator operates this, in which case it would be MV in Alsip.

However, I noted that the number is a cell phone number.* A cell phone number could be anywhere, but someone with a landline in Tinley Park (or in the almost inconceivable situation, somebody having to use a pay phone) would have to pay for a long distance call (local here being limited to 15 miles). I assume that someone who has to use call and ride doesn't have the money to pay for an unlimited long distance phone plan, unless maybe they are using Comcast instead of AT&T.

*The website I found said New Cingular Wireless PCS, LLC, which really is AT&T Wireless. I bet that the number eventually gets changed.

That would be like having McHenry County call-and-ride passengers calling a 312/773 number for service. That makes no sense at all, not only to not have a local number, but using a cell phone number?

That would be like having McHenry County call-and-ride passengers calling a 312/773 number for service. That makes no sense at all, not only to not have a local number, but using a cell phone number?

I explained the cell phone number in post #4, in that the driver has a cell phone.

The service is First Transit Joliet; but the area code is irrelevant.