755/855 Expansion Coming Forthwith.

MetroShadow

Speaking of 855...Alerts should be out in the next week or so.

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=4421

To summarize:

855 will be split up to streamline the route, especially out of Bolingbrook and Romeoville. 850 and 851 will be the service in that particular area, and 855 will directly serve Plainfield and Burr Ridge.

755 will add a trip in each direction.

• Upvote 1

http://www.pacebus.com/sub/schedules/route_notice_detail.asp?Notice_ID=4421

To summarize:

855 will be split up to streamline the route, especially out of Bolingbrook and Romeoville. 850 and 851 will be the service in that particular area, and 855 will directly serve Plainfield and Burr Ridge.

755 will add a trip in each direction.

They have buses for this? They wouldn't be thinking about taking river's axess' would they?

They have buses for this? They wouldn't be thinking about taking river's axess' would they?

Depends on how one interprets the schedules to see if there is a larger number of trips.

It appears that the old 855 inbound schedule was either Plainfield-Romeoville-Old Chicago or Canterbury-Burr Ridge.

New ones are

855: Plaintield-Burr Ridge, most listed as combos of old trips, but apparently that bus makes the first and last pickup.

850: Canterbury and a new stop, but mostly unchanged.

851: Old Chicago and Romeoville (reverse the old order).

I guess how many buses and how they run will depend on further development, but this just might be a resorting.

Some of the notes at the end of the Passenger Notice indicate that some riders will have to check if they are parked in the correct lot for the return trip when they want it. Also, there appear to be some combo trips.

There is of course the question whether 6900-6907 are still around to pick up any slack.

Or whether Pace is going to get the rest of the new buses 6963-6999???? (If there was supposed to be a second option)

On further contemplation: TRUE. While Pace has been fairly upfront with initial orders, they almost never have been with options. I think about the only option they announced exercising was for the 58 stimulus buses, but threw us off by not indicating that the 25 (2742-2766) essentially for Joliet were not those.

You are correct that the solicitation for motor coaches was for up to 50.

On further contemplation: TRUE. While Pace has been fairly upfront with initial orders, they almost never have been with options. I think about the only option they announced exercising was for the 58 stimulus buses, but threw us off by not indicating that the 25 (2742-2766) essentially for Joliet were not those.

You are correct that the solicitation for motor coaches was for up to 50.

And only time will tell if there's still a chance for the rest of the motor coaches to arrive unless something unexpected happen.

Depends on how one interprets the schedules to see if there is a larger number of trips.

It appears that the old 855 inbound schedule was either Plainfield-Romeoville-Old Chicago or Canterbury-Burr Ridge.

New ones are

855: Plaintield-Burr Ridge, most listed as combos of old trips, but apparently that bus makes the first and last pickup.

850: Canterbury and a new stop, but mostly unchanged.

851: Old Chicago and Romeoville (reverse the old order).

I guess how many buses and how they run will depend on further development, but this just might be a resorting.

Some of the notes at the end of the Passenger Notice indicate that some riders will have to check if they are parked in the correct lot for the return trip when they want it. Also, there appear to be some combo trips.

There is of course the question whether 6900-6907 are still around to pick up any slack.

Yeah it sounds like it's just a resorting. If they keep the same headways to or from the alternate endpoints on the suburban ends as what's given on the current combined 855, then they actually do have the buses for this without a fleet increase. As Busjack says what they come up with on the schedules for the new routes is the key. Either way it undoes some of the confusion with having three different points that the current 855 starts/ends at the suburban end of the route.

• 11 months later...

I wonder what will happen once Metra gets its Romeoville station built, specifically the 855.

There isn't any Metra near Romeoville. If you are thinking about the Heritage Corridor, there isn't the capacity to add passenger trains, which is a reason why the night Flex 755 runs near it.

There isn't any Metra near Romeoville. If you are thinking about the Heritage Corridor, there isn't the capacity to add passenger trains, which is a reason why the night Flex 755 runs near it.

There was talk about building one on the HC   I don't know if those plans fell through.  It was about  adding a station along the route not adding trains, though an additional car or two may be necessary.

I wonder what will happen once Metra gets its Romeoville station built, specifically the 855.

There was talk about building one on the HC   I don't know if those plans fell through.  It was about  adding a station along the route not adding trains, though an additional car or two may be necessary.

http://thetimesweekly.com/news/2013/aug/14/romeoville-metra-station-groundbreaking-possible-2/

http://www.mysuburbanlife.com/2015/01/07/romeoville-enters-agreement-with-idot-for-metra-station/ax9mboy/

• Upvote 1

The answer is "neglible." Flex 755 does what it was intended on doing - adding that later run on the HC where it wouldn't be provided otherwise. 

• 9 months later...

Daily Herald article on the I-55 toll lanes proposal.

However, if the author is correct that they would use the shoulder lanes now used by Pace buses (instead of actually widening the expressway) wouldn't that mess up the Pace buses? Although BOS is successful, if the problem is single occupant cars, shouldn't the logical solution be promoting more Pace?

1 hour ago, Busjack said:

Daily Herald article on the I-55 toll lanes proposal.

However, if the author is correct that they would use the shoulder lanes now used by Pace buses (instead of actually widening the expressway) wouldn't that mess up the Pace buses? Although BOS is successful, if the problem is single occupant cars, shouldn't the logical solution be promoting more Pace?

It depends. I'll use the example of what the Bay Area does (now that I've moved here):

If you utilize dynamic pricing to access the Lexus lanes, then it would ride on the density of traffic on that corridor. I've seen some of the prices on the 880/237 express lanes hit $7 (which really never stopped anyone because those express lanes are jammed at 9am), but in the reverse direction the cost is cheaper (a base of 50¢). At the same time, VTA buses that use the same corridor are exempt (as is HOV 2+ and electric vehicles). Those buses aren't truly affected negatively.

Rules can be set to either dynamically price these lanes enough to scare SOV drivers into Pace (vanpool or bus), exceptions for carpools and/or electric vehicles, or a combination of the two. 

58 minutes ago, MetroShadow said:

Rules can be set to either dynamically price these lanes enough to scare SOV drivers into Pace (vanpool or bus), exceptions for carpools and/or electric vehicles, or a combination of the two. 

Personally, I don't see how this is enforced in a practical manner without an I Pass reader and a violations camera at every 1/10 mile marker, but that is neither here nor there, as this isn't a traffic engineering forum.

While I said earlier that "yuppies won't pay to clog the lane if it is clogged," my point here essentially is I don't see how this helps Pace if it puts interference in the shoulder, instead of providing additional pavement. Again, I don't know what the planners will eventually engineer, but it does not look like the interactive traffic management system I-90 is reportedly getting.

21 hours ago, Busjack said:

Personally, I don't see how this is enforced in a practical manner without an I Pass reader and a violations camera at every 1/10 mile marker, but that is neither here nor there, as this isn't a traffic engineering forum.

While I said earlier that "yuppies won't pay to clog the lane if it is clogged," my point here essentially is I don't see how this helps Pace if it puts interference in the shoulder, instead of providing additional pavement. Again, I don't know what the planners will eventually engineer, but it does not look like the interactive traffic management system I-90 is reportedly getting.

Probably there would have to be a retaining wall or they would have lane jumpers jump into the express lanes. I'm thinking something similar to the kennedy expwy express lanes. But actually what I see happening is this would immediately overcrowd and not be express at all. Actually what would probably work better is a Dan Ryan express configuration where the express lane is 3 or 4 lanes wide and they have the locals which are two lanes. Basically then though they are turning the expwy into a toll road. Don't ask me where they could fund this, but perhaps they could divide I-55 into two express' two locals and a shoulder. After the first one it could be potential expanded from I-55's revenue.

Now Metroshadow claims this doesn't hurt the express buses that travel on those express lanes, but I don't see how any express road congestion wouldn't affect them. In a way this seems to defeat the bus on shoulder/highway bus concept, because the cars then would get the time perks of the express bus. The only benefit really in taking the express bus is gas savings or catching up on internet time, news time, or snack time but most buses companies prohibit eating.

32 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Probably there would have to be a retaining wall or they would have lane jumpers jump into the express lanes. I'm thinking something similar to the kennedy expwy express lanes.

Considering how the Kennedy backs up "but that never works," again per Rocket J. Squirrel. And how are the combo runs supposed to get on and off the expressway if the lane is walled off? It isn't like the I-90 proposal, which calls for some dedicated bus ramps to the Park and Rides.

As I said, I'm not into traffic engineering, but I suppose Metro Shadow could explain how the toll restrictions are enforced (as opposed to his prior comment that congestion pricing can be implemented).

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

And how are the combo runs supposed to get on and off the expressway if the lane is walled off?

The express lane would start after I-355, presumably far enough from it so vehicles have enough time to get from the right to the left lane (though all that lane changing might create a traffic jam there). Only place the bus needs to get off is County Line Road and then not until Damen for 755 or the Chinatown feeder for 850/851/855. There should be enough access points to the express lane to continue the current operation. They might consider strategically placing access points before and after County Line specifically to help the buses.

3 minutes ago, Busjack said:

Considering how the Kennedy backs up "but that never works," again per Rocket J. Squirrel. And how are the combo runs supposed to get on and off the expressway if the lane is walled off? It isn't like the I-90 proposal, which calls for some dedicated bus ramps to the Park and Rides.

As I said, I'm not into traffic engineering, but I suppose Metro Shadow could explain how the toll restrictions are enforced (as opposed to his prior comment that congestion pricing can be implemented).

About the only thing I can picture that wouldn't restrict or mess up the buses is a setup similar to how California configured combination dedicated bus/HOV lanes on the expressways for LA Metro's Silver Line BRT route and its express bus routes that use local expressways through the city and rest of LA county.The access points could be as Pace831 suggests above me. As for how to handle toll enforcement, that one like you I don't know how they'd do it without some extra construction involved.

1 minute ago, Busjack said:

Again, irrelevant, because the current wide shoulder  starts there (around Lemont Road).

Irrelevant to what? Your mention of the wide shoulder starting there is really just evidence for where the express lane will start. The only difference is that it will be an express lane open to all traffic. My concern is whether traffic coming from 355 trying to move all the way to the left will slow down all traffic in that area. Currently only buses make that move.

This public hearing presentation shows some concepts for how the express lanes will function. There is no indication of it being separated by a wall, so I don't know how toll enforcement is addressed, but that setup apparently works elsewhere. They probably just figure most people would rather pay the toll than merge back into slow/stopped traffic just to get around the toll gate.