What is the highest structural point on the CTA L? (Photos)

chicagopcclcar

Another question!! What is the highest structural point on the CTA L? Could it be the Green line crossing of the Dan Ryan or the Orange line Panhandle crossing at Western and Archer or ?????

P1040454.jpg

Green line at 59th St. at Dan Rayn expressway.

10481159_10100171200970684_8558236615449

Orange line at Western and Archer Aves. crossing of the Panhandle railroad. (Lloyd Anthony D Peters)

I think it's the Green Line crossing the Belt Ry at Lake/Knox or maybe at Clinton/Lake where it crosses the leads to Northwestern Station. That Cicero/Lake platform is very high as is Clinton/Lake.

The South Side Mainline also goes up & over the St. Charles Airline at 16th St., plus it goes pretty high over the abandoned rail line at 40th St., just NW of the Indiana station. Never understood why the CTA rebuilt the line so high there back in 1995 as the rail line was abandoned then. That's a hell of a stair climb up to that platform!

Where the Paulina Connector crosses the Ike is very high as is the Ashland branch of the Green Line over the Ryan, but as soon as they're over the alleys, they're back to a normal height.

The Swift also goes up & over the abandoned C&NW Mayfair Cutoff at McCormick Rd.

The Ravenswood goes up & over the C&NW Milwaukee Div. at Ravenswood Ave. That Paulina station is also a real climb.

You've got to pick and choose, LOL.

I'll help. Green Line crossing the Belt Ry at Lake/Knox ....good one! CTA raised it before.

St. Charles Airline at 16th St.,,,,, nah....RR has run into the bridge before.

40th St., just NW of the Indiana.... matches the runoff tracks.

Ike is very high as is the Ashland branch.... they matched the old Douglas PL and Logan SQ.

A little help.

P1030713.jpg

P1030712.jpg

Comparision between the Ike at Paulina and the Ryan at 59th, originally the "L" at Paulina was all regular height. It was called Marshfield JCT and the three branches met for their four track journey downtown. At 59th, we've assume the expressway depth is the same. The "L" however is extra height coming off the crossing of Metra to the east. The "L" is higher at 59th.

GreenOnRyanBridge.jpg

P1020869-1.jpg

Originally this was a 90 ft curve, just like the Loop curves downtown. The railroad was on the surface. The railroad connected the Illinois Central on the lakeshore with the stockyards. The railroad had to raise its tracks on an embankment. The "L" had to raise tracks to clear. The "L" also three tracked here and doubled the curve to 200 ft. The railroad paid for two "L" branches, the Kenwood and the Stockyards and rented them to the "L". Today the railroad is gone and so are the two "L" branches.

P1020869-1.jpg

Originally this was a 90 ft curve, just like the Loop curves downtown. The railroad was on the surface. The railroad connected the Illinois Central on the lakeshore with the stockyards. The railroad had to raise its tracks on an embankment. The "L" had to raise tracks to clear. The "L" also three tracked here and doubled the curve to 200 ft. The railroad paid for two "L" branches, the Kenwood and the Stockyards and rented them to the "L". Today the railroad is gone and so are the two "L" branches.

I never understood why the CTA didn't ease that S turn at 40th when they rebuilt the L in 1995. There was plenty of open land there at the time. Now the new fire station is in the way.

I never understood why the CTA didn't ease that S turn at 40th when they rebuilt the L in 1995. There was plenty of open land there at the time. Now the new fire station is in the way.

There has to be a value inorder for a project to move forward. I already explained that the South Side "L" already eased the 40th curves. That was the first ever for the "L" system. In the 20s, the north route eased the reverse curves at Hubbard St. next to the Mart. We could mention the initial State St. subway since it did eliminate 16 curves with only five. Reduction of the curves at North and Halsted has been an unmet goal since the beginning of the CTA since 1947. The City and the CTA did replace the Harrison curves. Time will tell if the Clark JCT gets done or not. The final curve will have to be the straighting at Sheridan to allow for ten car trains.

NorthsideBrownNorthAV.jpg

North and Halsted curves.

P1030490.jpg

Harrison curves.

P1110413-1.jpg

Hubbard reverse curves.

P1040612_3.jpg

Sheridan Curves

So that's the answer 59th/Dan Ryan crossing? The reason I said Archer/Western before was that it crosses freight, the clearances would have to be higher due to high freight cars like car transporters, but to me the newer steel on the Orange line seem twice as tall maybe due to the current age and every one more concerned with safety than in the early 1900's. That seems to me to be it's trumping card, but then that would make the 18th street crossover number 2.

How high is the Yellow line crossing McCormick? That is up there with the rest.

back in the day that used to cross a now abandoned freight line right there at McCormick, don't know though if the train was at grade, it should have been but it almost looks like McCormick gets lower there to allow a overhead passing of the long gone freight line.

A little help.

P1030713.jpg

P1030712.jpg

Comparision between the Ike at Paulina and the Ryan at 59th, originally the "L" at Paulina was all regular height. It was called Marshfield JCT and the three branches met for their four track journey downtown. At 59th, we've assume the expressway depth is the same. The "L" however is extra height coming off the crossing of Metra to the east. The "L" is higher at 59th.

GreenOnRyanBridge.jpg

Well According To The Last Two Pics Green At 59th& Ryan I Higher Then Pauling&Ike