700-series XE40 - Deliveries & Assignments

Kevin

The CTA Press Release inadvertently said why these buses don't pay for themselves in an economic sense:

"Saves the CTA more than $25,000 annually in net fuel costs per bus, or more than $300,000 over the expected 12-year bus lifespan."

Thus, assuming that these buses last 12 years (and from the 5900s and 900s you can't assume that), they are still approximately $400K more than a diesel bus ($1.2 million cost minus $300K fuel savings minus $488K cost of a 2014 Nova).

I took $500000 (extra cost per the Tribune story) and divided it by the $25000 fuel savings per year and got 20.

This would make me think CTA would have to run this bus for 20 years for it (CTA) to break even. :huh:

I think someone mentioned that it was a different brand of sign, but isn't "7 HARRISON to MICHIGAN" without a flip unusual?

I'm glad that you've brought that up! I was really surprised because I wouldn't ever thought that it would fit the entire display and the fact that "to" was lower cased. Also, notice how the side LED signage is installed on the second window from the front door instead of the first.

I took $500000 (extra cost per the Tribune story) and divided it by the $25000 fuel savings per year and got 20.

This would make me think CTA would have to run this bus for 20 years for it (CTA) to break even. :huh:

You mean to tell me that Brian Steele can't count, either?

• Upvote 1

I'm glad that you've brought that up! I was really surprised because I wouldn't ever thought that it would fit the entire display and the fact that "to" was lower cased. Also, notice how the side LED signage is installed on the second window from the front door instead of the first.

I saw that, it was kind of "Seattle" (last appearance of that was on the 7300s).

Those are some really good models by New Flyer, they're stylish but still professional. Can't wait to hear status updates on the 700-series and this kind of "social experiment" that New Flyer is exploring into the electric genre. Sorry to hear about the drivers attitude (that seems to be the case with a lot of drivers) but glad that you finally have an Xcelsior period and it's the Top of the Line Experimental model

Damn right!!! :D

The best I can say about it is that it's extraordinary quiet and spacious my goodness!!! :lol::D I was really shocked to see 4 seats in the front on both sides (reminds me of the Eldorados)! Also, the bus driver was a total prick. Poor attitude and very unprofessional. He should be happy as hell that he had a golden opportunity of driving one of the two buses. I guaranteed you that a ton of drivers at Kedzie were dying to have a run on these buses!!!! :lol::D

Thanks for sharing the photos! I agree about the bus driver. I would have been happily greeting customers knowing I had the opportunity to drive such a unique bus.

• Upvote 2

700 on 124

attachicon.gif700.jpg

I wonder what the implication is that 120 and 121 are listed, but those appear to be C routes.

If you notice one has green placards inside the bus and the other one blue. These buses remind me alot of the NABI compobuses but I guess nobody can't complain since NF owns them. I can see why LA is switching over to Xcelsiors because they are virtually clones of the former equipment.

700 on 124

attachicon.gif700.jpg

I wonder what the implication is that 120 and 121 are listed, but those appear to be C routes.

Since 12/7/12 120 and 121 are shared routes C & K with C providing more buses than K. 700 was on 121 earlier this morning.

I caught 701 this morning just before 8am on a 157 short operating only to Halsted. Driver told me bus was going empty to Union Station but later I could not see on bustracker if it went onto 121 or 125.

If you notice one has green placards inside the bus and the other one blue. These buses remind me alot of the NABI compobuses but I guess nobody can't complain since NF owns them. I can see why LA is switching over to Xcelsiors because they are virtually clones of the former equipment.

I think those Xcelsiors are brought in to replace the NABIs in L. A.

The best I can say about it is that it's extraordinary quiet and spacious my goodness!!! :lol::D I was really shocked to see 4 seats in the front on both sides (reminds me of the Eldorados)! Also, the bus driver was a total prick. Poor attitude and very unprofessional. He should be happy as hell that he had a golden opportunity of driving one of the two buses. I guaranteed you that a ton of drivers at Kedzie were dying to have a run on these buses!!!! :lol::D

Sorry to say, but a lot of these bus operators have a poor atttude! CTA really needs to a better job to address customer service as well as proper training. Lately, Ive been seeing operators displaying really poor attitudes, careless driving habits and Ive been spotting quite a few operators texting,, using a bluetooth device or just tinkering with their cell phones while on duty, which Im sure they know is against the law!!!

Sorry to say, but a lot of these bus operators have a poor atttude! CTA really needs to a better job to address customer service as well as proper training. Lately, Ive been seeing operators displaying really poor attitudes, careless driving habits and Ive been spotting quite a few operators texting,, using a bluetooth device or just tinkering with their cell phones while on duty, which Im sure they know is against the law!!!

But it gets down to whether Claypool's program to fire a mess of people needs to be ramped up.

There was enough of a stink about disciplining them for red light camera violations.

Yeah they should've showed the bus more. Someone should've asked him what's the deal with FG?

I don't think Winston has that authority. After all, his position was instructor. Maybe he should instruct someone on run K714, though.

You ain't never lying about all that. Another thing that kills me is when drivers stall at a green light while being at least 4-5 minutes late. My two older children's mother gave him a nice, warm compliment by saying that he's a one lucky driver but he didn't even put a professional effort to acknowledge it, especially saying thank you! :mellow::angry:

You ain't never lying about all that. Another thing that kills me is when drivers stall at a green light while being at least 4-5 minutes late. My two older children's mother gave him a nice, warm compliment by saying that he's a one lucky driver but he didn't even put a professional effort to acknowledge it, especially saying thank you! :mellow::angry:

Probably a long day and had enough of the questions. Also, I'll agree that some might have wanted to drive the model, I'd bet there are probably more who wouldn't.

I think someone mentioned that it was a different brand of sign, but isn't "7 HARRISON to MICHIGAN" without a flip unusual?

Very unusual. But I think I've seen a few destination signs formatted similarly (there aren't many, but I'm pretty sure I've seen a few on the Flyers). I'm wondering if the signs were programmed at New Flyer since it's a completely different system compared to the rest of the newer fleet (starting with the New Flyers, those buses have New Flyers while the 700s have Hannover signs, similar to at least one Flyer at one of the South Side garages a few years ago).