2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

Apparently the security isn't too good if it is tagged during a short layover in the middle of a neighborhood in the middle of the day.

What a day!! I got a front row ticket to what happened this time. It's no one's fault. So this is the story, you know how they got that yellow wall between Kimball's east sidewalk and track 1. Well the train pulls up, this guy is not there and while the train is in the pocket he scales the wall and pins himself between the wall and the train tagging it up. The train pulled in and I recorded it and talked to a few CTA buddies for a couple minutes, it wasn't long, then I walked to the head car, seeing the doors are pulled I go in and start filming car cards I proceeded to walk through some cars til I got to the third. I opened the doors between cars 2-3 and there is this strong paint smell. I thought man this paint is fresh!! LOL!! So I'm alone with Tony Coppoletta in the third car, he smells the paint also puts 2 and 2 together and pulls the outside door to see this guy tagging it up. The guy scales the wall, I saw this, this wall is like 6-8 feet tall. He's in a camo ski mask dressed in all camo color. No CTA vest. He looked back at me we made eye contact, he looked like he had bluish brownish eyes was very skinny and sort of tall maybe 5'11" he goes walking across Kimball and when he got to the strip mall he takes off running. If there is some kind of surveillence over there he was on the sidewalk for his whole walk/run in the plaza. Tony probably helped save the day here, but maybe I helped by fanning in the paint fumes, regardless it was stopped before it got spread to multiple cars saving the day from a cancellation.

So back to the car, while Tony goes to tell someone what happened I looked outside the open door to see pink block letters over the red white and blue and gray window area. I thought man this car is screwed up now. So this guy comes in with gray hair CTA officers hat with a crest on it. Looks like he is the line manager or operations manager of the brown line or all lines I don't know. He says "we can't run this car in service" so they pulled it out of service.

I got some pretty good pictures today I'll upload probably overnight or tomorrow. I filled my phone's hard drive again. I filmed the vandalized area. It was cleaned up well. I was really shocked how good it came out. So I guess I'll start uploading. :)

• Upvote 2

A little thing I noticed: the marker lights and roll signs are not always the same (look at the interior shots for the roll signs). The train operator cleverly set them correctly for the lines the train would be on so the tower people wouldn't be confused and not know where to send the train!

Thanks for sharing the photos guys!

A little thing I noticed: the marker lights and roll signs are not always the same (look at the interior shots for the roll signs). The train operator cleverly set them correctly for the lines the train would be on so the tower people wouldn't be confused and not know where to send the train!

Thanks for sharing the photos guys!

In which I'm deeply disappointed about that. I know it's a farewell event but damn, at least have the classic roll signs to make it an extraordinary day to remember. Also, it would've been nice if they had the classic "peanut butter' colored seats. :)

I have a few pics I took, but I'm not sure how to upload them here so everybody can see.

Just hit the more reply options, pan down to where it says attach files, click on the box that says choose files and upload from wherever you have them on your hard drive.

BTW, Graham Garfield was giving us the play by play coming back from 63rd, when we passed Cermak-Mccormick Place he said it would open in a few weeks. They do now have train tracker signs on the platform and that's an indication there close to finished.