2400 farewell

R36BoxMotor

Could the CTA be keeping the 8 2400s for charters/events because of their seating configuration - as compared to the 5000's?

Bob

No, it is just to satisfy the foamers. Do you think some rail history buff wants to ride a new car?

I suppose CTA is keeping the 2 4200s only because they have reupholstered seats, too.

L cars are supposed to be for revenue service. At least the 5000s are.

They should have kept a #2200. That was the holy grail of current rail cars. There is still the cars at 61st but that ship has most likely sailed. I can't help but think that the sliding doors makes it more accessible than blinker doors but there is more history with #2200's than #2400's. The #2400's are basically an older version of what's here now. The #2200's leap back to the era before that, that's why if you notice they were in all the films. How many films had #2400's. I can only think of "The Hunter" with Steve Mcqueen and that was a very short shot on the WNW when the cars were new.

The CTA does run charters for events - not just failfan specials. What's the seating in a 5000 compared to a 2400? I think the 2400 seating configuration is more appropriate for events/charters than the bowling alley seating of a 5000.

Like for what? All I know are the railfan ones and allowing motion picture filming on their property.

CTA is not in the charter business.

Anyway, cars before 3201 have about 48 seats, after that about 38-41.

Full schedule is up: http://www.transitchicago.com/2400farewell/default.aspx#sched

Loop Shuttle departs Washington/Wells at 10:20am.

Ravenswood Service departs Kimball at 11:55am; Clark/Lake at 12:40pm.

North-South departs Howard at 2:25pm; Ashland/63rd at 3:50pm.

Wow that's going to be tight. Arrive at Kimball 1:17PM.... Leave Howard at 2:25 PM Most likely the train will deadhead so that might not be a problem, but if I wanted to take both trips I don't know if I could make the journey that fast. Unless CTA would be nice and allow a few harmless stowaways on their deadhead. B) I'll try to take both round trips, but I won't worry about the loop. I can experience that on the Brown line trip anyway.

Did the Brown Line ever actually use 2400-series cars in normal service (not including Brownage trips)? Specifically, what cars did it use before it got the 3200s?

Red and Green make sense, though (Green was all 2400-series for a long time until it got the 5000s).

Yes. The Brown Line used 2400's from their delivery in 1976 until the early 80's(1982-83) when they switched to 2600's. They had a mixed yard of 2400's and 6000's.

Like for what? All I know are the railfan ones and allowing motion picture filming on their property.

CTA is not in the charter business.

Anyway, cars before 3201 have about 48 seats, after that about 38-41.

Actually, Busjack, they do charter out trains... so they are in the charter business, in a sense....

It's not done often, but you can charter one, choose the series you wish to use(I doubt you can be specific if say you wanted a 4-car train of 3200's and request 3275-3276, 3329-3330 and 3453-3454. The CTA will probably pick the consist). But they supply the Rail Operator and you supply the guests and whatever else you wish to have on the train that's permitted.

Charter a CTA Train

Actually, Busjack, they do charter out trains... so they are in the charter business, in a sense....

It's not done often, but you can charter one, choose the series you wish to use(I doubt you can be specific if say you wanted a 4-car train of 3200's and request 3275-3276, 3329-3330 and 3453-3454. The CTA will probably pick the consist). But they supply the Rail Operator and you supply the guests and whatever else you wish to have on the train that's permitted.

Charter a CTA Train

But since you have your choice, BTrain's point about how many seats each series has is irrelevant. Note that the linked page says the cars seat "35 comfortably." Not 48.

Also, I really doubt that there is a reserve fleet like some bus companies had for school field trips and the like (i.e. going from Lakeview HS to the Museum of Science and Industry). Buses, of course, paid with federal funds are barred from charter service.

I question saving 8 cars just for railfans, but it is clear that is all they are saving them for. I also bet, not too long. For instance, 1892-1992 are now off the property (but that took about 20 years)..

Trains gonna be a little late, someone tagged #2543-44 pretty bad block letters about 6-8 feet at kimball while the train was in the pocket. It had to be taken out of service for the brown line trip. We're currently running 6 cars. The hope is it can be cleaned and picked up for the howard trip.

Trains gonna be a little late, someone tagged #2543-44 pretty bad block letters about 6-8 feet at kimball while the train was in the pocket. It had to be taken out of service for the brown line trip. We're currently running 6 cars. The hope is it can be cleaned and picked up for the howard trip.

Wow, what a ballsy tagger. I hope they caught them

It's disgusting what these taggers do.... apparently they don't have a life or care in the world, so they would rather just destroy property that isn't theirs.