CTA Blue Line Crash at O'Hare

twyztdmynd

NTSB preliminary review.... automatic emergency braking system failed to stop the train. The system went into action as the train headed toward the end of the platform but didn't stop it. Story

Thanks. That's a little more information than was in the Tribune.

There are some similarities to the DC Metro crash, in that for some reason, the brakes didn't stop the train. The difference there was that it was supposedly an automated train, and the operator died pulling the brake lever, while here there seems too be to much attention on Kelly throwing the operator under bus number 6845 (figuratively speaking).

It also shows that there is a reason why the NTSB is not acceding to Garmon's demands to release its report now.

I know we all are looking to key answers about her but I think it's more than just her working a tough amount of overtime. My problem about the news about it is that they don't want to tell us everything. They just tell us what we want to hear. No, the CTA is definitely not off the hook because somebody in that bunch is going to step forward whether CTA like it or not. I just have a feeling about that but this is a huge jigsaw puzzle ready to be fix piece by piece.

Of course people want answers, but I have a problem with this atmosphere of being ready to rush out every little detail before those in a position to find those answers have had time to examine the evidence at hand and piece together where that evidence leads, which only serves to create an atmosphere where everyone is in a huge rush to judgment that does not help anything and potentially makes the situation worse because that's when the overlooking of some serious problems crops in. I know we're in a day and age where technology can bring about fast access to information, but sometimes we still need to just take a step back and let good old fashioned detective work find those answers like investigative work is by definition designed to do. We need to realize and remember that just because answers in some areas are not fast coming does not mean things are getting brushed under the rug. This is a very serious issue here, and I'd prefer the investigation be as thorough and accurate as possible rather than having a rush to push out answers that simply mold to the first conclusion thought up and is therefore the conclusions leading the evidence instead of the evidence leading the results and conclusions as a good investigation is supposed to work. Simply put I'd rather the investigators not be distracted right now with questions about every small detail and have most of their concentration placed with the examining all the evidence found during the course of the investigation. Giving updates on the investigation is fine but not to the point that it becomes a distraction keeping the investigators from doing their jobs.

Here's some inside info I found while checking the Tribune site... basically it's just schematics of the 2600-Series railcar, accident diagram and layout of the O-Hare stop, but if you're interested in a little inside info, here you go... pdf

I wonder if there is any significance to the statement "There are nearly 500 such cars still in service." Typo instead of "600," or more retirements than first thought? Or someone at the Tribune had trouble reading chicago-l.org? It had 588 in June 2013,* but now it is probably down to 570.

________

*Not scrapped or on long term hold.

Well one thing's for sure, the feds pretty much squashed any ideas that the station will open any time soon and definitely not the within a couple of days as was being speculated here and elsewhere.

No, not at least for a week, if the stairs and both escalators are damaged maybe longer to repair the stairs. They can always board up the escalators. They are probably going to have to repair the platform as well. Now this brings up an interesting question if they go 2 weeks they will have a dual bus shuttle going on. What are they going to do bring more artics north or cancel the blue line rehab for a week or two? Would someone even ride the blue line with two shuttles? They are probably going to get O'Hare fixed by then though by hook or by crook.

That's a little more information than was in It also shows that there is a reason why the NTSB is not acceding to Garmon's demands to release its report now.

Oh come on! I'm cool with it now. The Blue Line is now becoming a nightmare from hell line with all these malfunctions and errors. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire line be investigated for flaws and other kinds of errors including management and maintenance.

Of course people want answers, but I have a problem with this atmosphere of being ready to rush out every little detail before those in a position to find those answers have had time to examine the evidence at hand and piece together where that evidence leads, which only serves to create an atmosphere where everyone is in a huge rush to judgment that does not help anything and potentially makes the situation worse because that's when the overlooking of some serious problems crops in. I know we're in a day and age where technology can bring about fast access to information, but sometimes we still need to just take a step back and let good old fashioned detective work find those answers like investigative work is by definition designed to do. We need to realize and remember that just because answers in some areas are not fast coming does not mean things are getting brushed under the rug. This is a very serious issue here, and I'd prefer the investigation be as thorough and accurate as possible rather than having a rush to push out answers that simply mold to the first conclusion thought up and is therefore the conclusions leading the evidence instead of the evidence leading the results and conclusions as a good investigation is supposed to work. Simply put I'd rather the investigators not be distracted right now with questions about every small detail and have most of their concentration placed with the examining all the evidence found during the course of the investigation. Giving updates on the investigation is fine but not to the point that it becomes a distraction keeping the investigators from doing their jobs.

Fair enough to say.

...What are they going to do bring more artics north or cancel the blue line rehab for a week or two? ...Would someone even ride the blue line with two shuttles? They are probably going to get O'Hare fixed by then though by hook or by crook.

At least the New Blue shutdowns are only on the weekend. Some artic weekend routes can go back to 40 footers.

As for your other point, there doesn't seem to be any other public transit way to get to O'Hare, unless someone thinks it is quicker to somehow get to the 330 Pace bus.

I will say this & there is NO Pun intended, but Claypool's version of the CTA has had many up's but have also had many public distractions that have made national news that have not been the best representation of the agency. Maybe instead of trying to impress the mayor, this version of the CTA should focus on system improvements that enhances the customer experience instead of doing media stunt shows & letting the PR's go on Overdrive Overtime

Only new tidbit on the 6 p.m. news is that a passenger filed the first lawsuit. On reflection, this undoubtedly was to get a court order to preserve the evidence for inspection by plaintiff's lawyers, so that's another reason CTA won't be able to cut up the train and clear the station for a couple of days.

Oh come on! I'm cool with it now. The Blue Line is now becoming a nightmare from hell line with all these malfunctions and errors. I wouldn't be surprised if the entire line be investigated for flaws and other kinds of errors including management and maintenance.

garmon, I would look into the entire "L" system as a whole for flaws and errors. An accident of this caliber occurring in an underground setting like at O-Hare or in the Subways could cause significant injuries and possible fatalities, but it would be on a grander scale if a scenario like this played out twenty feet overhead on an elevated structure. It would be 1977 all over again...

• Upvote 1

Only new tidbit on the 6 p.m. news is that a passenger filed the first lawsuit. On reflection, this undoubtedly was to get a court order to preserve the evidence for inspection by plaintiff's lawyers, so that's another reason CTA won't be able to cut up the train and clear the station for a couple of days.

Tribune article confirming this, including why the suit was filed now.

Hot off the presses a video has just been leaked to youtube showing video of the crash at O'Hare

It isn't explained in what context the photographer (if any) and voices were in at the time this was captured or edited, but does seem to confirm the surmise of one poster on the CTA Tattler that the car flew, and then bounced onto the escalator, where it came to rest.

The full YouTube page doesn't enlighten, but is here.

Just watching this video angers me of what the motorman was doing at that very moment! They need to fire her! She could have killed that man stepping off the escalator or passengers on the train! An accident as serious as this is unforgivable!

Considering all the physical and "emotional" pain theyre supposedly in, those three people sure wasted no time seeking lawyers and filing lawsuits!

Why was the guy coming up the escalator?. Trains run 30 minutes apart, so he wasn't getting off another train.

Anyone standing on the platform beside the train could really have been hurt either from flying debris or the train itself jumping from the tracks. The guy wasn't lucky just because he got off the escalator in time, he was also lucky because something inspired him to leave the platform at that moment.

Well, I see that people still can make sexist comments on something as serious as a train accident. As someone who knows several female friends who drive very well, this kind of comment is very disgusting... there are an equal number of female to male drivers out there who are both good and bad.

I think People Of The CTA should remove this disgusting and degrading photo and ban that user immediately!

Photo

Why was the guy coming up the escalator?. Trains run 30 minutes apart, so he wasn't getting off another train.

Anyone standing on the platform beside the train could really have been hurt either from flying debris or the train itself jumping from the tracks. The guy wasn't lucky just because he got off the escalator in time, he was also lucky because something inspired him to leave the platform at that moment.

Looked like he was asking the security guard a question. Probably when's the next train and then he was going to go back down the escalator. So he may have been doubly lucky.

Well, I see that people still can make sexist comments on something as serious as a train accident. As someone who knows several female friends who drive very well, this kind of comment is very disgusting... there are an equal number of female to male drivers out there who are both good and bad.

Photo

#SHAME

No matter be it any gender, this was an unfortunate event that occurred and shouldn't be made into personal attacks #SHAME

It isn't explained in what context the photographer (if any) and voices were in at the time this was captured or edited, but does seem to confirm the surmise of one poster on the CTA Tattler that the car flew, and then bounced onto the escalator, where it came to rest.

The full YouTube page doesn't enlighten, but is here.

Hot off the presses a video has just been leaked to youtube showing video of the crash at O'Hare

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=c8X6b0tcQy8

Not anymore... "The video has been removed by the user."

Considering all the physical and "emotional" pain theyre supposedly in, those three people sure wasted no time seeking lawyers and filing lawsuits!

• I mentioned twice above why the suits were filed now--to get a court order to preserve the evidence. It isn't going to do much good as far as the plantiffs' cases are concerned if the cars are sitting in little pieces at some scrap yard. Even Skokie Shops doesn't preserve the scene, pending investigation.
  • Not to get into your business, but since you are a paramedic, does CFD transport people to Lutheran General Hospital without some obvious need for the patient to be there?

I'll also add that since CTA, as a common carrier, has a high duty of care,winning the suits shouldn't be too hard, but the plaintiffs still need evidence. I, at first, also thought this was a bit hasty,but they have to do what they have to do.