Skokie (Yellow Line) 50th Anniversary

chicagopcclcar

The 1-50 1-man cars have all left the property since the 90's. One of the 1-4 speed cars was stored in the weeds on the GE plant in Erie, PA. I think only two of the 5000 three compartment trainsets are left in museums.

3200 series, 2400 series, and 2600 series are still in CTA roster of course. The 3200 with roof boards with do.

Guest ctafan630

The 1-50 1-man cars have all left the property since the 90's. One of the 1-4 speed cars was stored in the weeds on the GE plant in Erie, PA. I think only two of the 5000 three compartment trainsets are left in museums.

3200 series, 2400 series, and 2600 series are still in CTA roster of course. The 3200 with roof boards with do.

IRM and Fox River Trolley Museum both have a one of the 4 original 5000 series cars, but I dont believe either is running condition.

There's lots of single car #5-50's in museums, but I doubt CTA would be willing to bring one in from a museum. Something they could try would be a #5-50 car ad wrap. That would be cool. But if there is any fanfare, it probably will be a 50th anniversary wrap maybe with a few nostalgic pictures.

• Upvote 3

There's lots of single car #5-50's in museums, but I doubt CTA would be willing to bring one in from a museum. Something they could try would be a #5-50 car ad wrap. That would be cool. But if there is any fanfare, it probably will be a 50th anniversary wrap maybe with a few nostalgic pictures.

Like this idea for SEPTA's 100th anniversary of service to Media?[i would love to see a 5000 series in a 1-50 series wrap with a special Niles Center sign}

trolley2.jpg

• 1 month later...
  • 2 weeks later...

I would like to see the Historical Cars run........the Cincinnati Car Company cars......and give rides!!!!

P1110100-1.jpg

Your wish may have just been granted. A rail manager has told me there are rumors that #4271-72 will run Apr 26th on the swift from 10AM to 2PM. It would be nice for that to occur. Those cars hardly get any public exposure. Mostly the charters and APTA administrators get to ride them.

BusHunter, on 18 Apr 2014 - 14:09, said:

Your wish may have just been granted.

GOOD! That deserve's a new photo.......how about TWO "Yellow trainsets" with rollsigns?

P1110089.jpg

Throttle.....off/ switching/ series/ transition/ full multiple. Brake handle.....release/off handle/ lap/ service/ emegency. Just like the Whopper......it takes TWO HANDS to motor a 4000!!

P1070784.jpg

http://www3.illinois.gov/PressReleases/ShowPressRelease.cfm?SubjectID=2&RecNum=12155

Apparently; Governor Qunn celebrated the 50th Anniversary of the Skokie Swift yesterday through a press release. This is not the ceremonial event that is apparently in the works.

Well, the 50th Anniversary happened to fall on Easter Sunday, so I doubt that anyone(even transit enthusiasts) will take time away from their families to trek out to Howard, Oakton and Skokie to take a ride/get a viewing on whatever the CTA is putting together to commemorate the event with. If it's ready to go, look for it sometime this week or upcoming weekend... otherwise stay tuned for updates...

Detailing the 50th Anniversary of the Skokie Swift

Happy Easter everyone! Got my copy yesterday. Great issue! F&F always prints good issues but this one has to be one of the best F&F magazine issues they've printed yet.

Back when Skokie Swift started, and they were customizing their equipment for the service, why couldn't they just buy ex-North Shore Line equipment, such as the Electroliners or Silverliners, which probably could have been had rather cheaply ?

While probably compatible with CTA, the issue essentially was how big a grant they got from the FHA, and that the original plan was only 4 high speed single unit cars, which they already had. Only rehabilitation necessary was to add the pan trolleys.

As it grew, it had the 4 articulated cars and other single units that it could add with an upgrade to the motor wiring. But, essentially, no need for incompatible interurban grade equipment for a 7 minute run.

While probably compatible with CTA, the issue essentially was how big a grant they got from the FHA, and that the original plan was only 4 high speed single unit cars, which they already had. Only rehabilitation necessary was to add the pan trolleys.

As it grew, it had the 4 articulated cars and other single units that it could add with an upgrade to the motor wiring. But, essentially, no need for incompatible interurban grade equipment for a 7 minute run.

Also, more important, the operation was planned to be one-man...... other cars would needed two-man crews. Even the "two cars 60 series pairs", where only one number with "A and B" to keep one-man operation.

Guest ctafan630

IRM's looks ok on the outside, but running condition-wise, I don't know if it works or not...

I had asked if that was in running condition and they told me it was not.

That would have been really sweet to bring back the #5000's from the 60's and run those along side the #5000's of today. Didn't the #5000's debut on the swift? I never have rode on the old articulated #5000's. They look cool. So the #5000 at Fox River doesn't run? I thought that was the better of the two pairs preserved condition wise.

That would have been really sweet to bring back the #5000's from the 60's and run those along side the #5000's of today. Didn't the #5000's debut on the swift? I never have rode on the old articulated #5000's. They look cool. So the #5000 at Fox River doesn't run? I thought that was the better of the two pairs preserved condition wise.

No. The 5000s were ordered in the very early days of the CTA, and after testing all around, CTA determined that the married pair concept worked better. Apparently they ended up on Ravenswood, but the need for a bigger single unit resulted in them being put on the Skokie Swift and renumbered 51-54 (CERA 115).

If the question is whether the Skokie Swift debuted with 51-54, Krambles's book at page 127 has a picture of the original lineup, with 4 single unit cars.