Flex Twin Coach new look surprise, at bit OT

buslist

Now here's a surprise (actually 2).

I had always heard the the Flex Twin demonstrator that went to Memphis, serial 51269, one before the demo that became CTA 8650 serial 51270 was built to Chicago specs. So pictures surfaced yesterday posted by Phillip Cegielski of SCRDT 5735 (one number above the original order, just like the 8650) that is reputed to be the ex Memphis bus. The 2 surprises are that is ended up at SCRDT and that indeed it did have the 8500 style lift up windows. Neat!

post-44-0-06355000-1372595813_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-60439800-1372595826_thumb.jpg

post-44-0-86483100-1372595841_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1

I gather that the lift-up windows lifted at an angle? Neat looking bus!

That is correct, which seemed a bit strange.

Also strange (or unique to this kind of bus) is that the front window slid over the side route sign, resulting in its frame being visible from the outside (sort of like the 7000s and old Flyers), as opposed to the sign filling up its entire window.

Great pics. This appears to be one of those movie buses at a set in LA; nevertheless, if the interior is similar to the 8500s the CTA had, it really would've been neat to ride in one of these.

About the same, but IIRC, and based on what most CTA equipment had, green upholstery.

Great pics. This appears to be one of those movie buses at a set in LA; nevertheless, if the interior is similar to the 8500s the CTA had, it really would've been neat to ride in one of these.

No one of these it was a one and only at SCRDT. Of course 151 examples @ CTA.

Anyone seen the beginning of the movie Car Wash? I just checked the beginning of the movie, seems that the bus in the beginning, unit 6270, not only has the Flxible logo under the windshield center strut, but the headlight assembly is different.

Screen dump from the move shows this.

I can't think of any other movie that might have an LA Flxible New Look in it.

post-596-0-03262500-1372647922_thumb.jpg

Anyone seen the beginning of the movie Car Wash? I just checked the beginning of the movie, seems that the bus in the beginning, unit 6270, not only has the Flxible logo under the windshield center strut, but the headlight assembly is different.

Screen dump from the move shows this.

I can't think of any other movie that might have an LA Flxible New Look in it.

It would have been from the next bunch. Compare CTA 8770 on busdrawings.com