Vintage Chicago Transit Authority Destination Sign

the6robs

Looking for information on this large destination sign.This measures 30X17X4 inches.There are several different routes on the roll inside.There is a hand crank to change the routes.This came from an 80 year old gentleman who collected railroad memorabilia.Any idea when this is from and how much it is worth.Thanks for any information you may have.Billpost-1425-0-64560100-1366476142_thumb.jppost-1425-0-41349400-1366476157_thumb.jppost-1425-0-67298600-1366476171_thumb.jppost-1425-0-19737400-1366476185_thumb.jp

Looking for information on this large destination sign.This measures 30X17X4 inches.There are several different routes on the roll inside.There is a hand crank to change the routes.This came from an 80 year old gentleman who collected railroad memorabilia.Any idea when this is from and how much it is worth.Thanks for any information you may have.Billattachicon.gifGEDC0837.JPGattachicon.gifGEDC0838.JPGattachicon.gifGEDC0839.JPGattachicon.gifGEDC0840.JPG

Looks like a standard roll from a 6000 series car (from the green tone of the box). "A" would be Congress-Milwaukee and "B" would be Douglas-Milwaukee, later becoming the Blue Line.

However, the roller appears installed backwards in that the crank would be on the inside and the reading would be on the outside.

Also, my memory may be bad, but I sort of remember that instead of a crank, those in the passenger compartment had a round "dial crank." Also, since it has windows on both sides, it would be a side box, not the one in the front, and definitely not one with the sign over the train door in front. That's assuming that the box is authentic.

Go to chicago-l.org-->Rolling Stock-->Train Gallery and click on the various 6000s galleries.

A very small number of the Plushies, maybe just one or two, received green interiors not long before they were retired. I think Buslist is right; the signbox does look like in came from a 4000. Check out the crank.

Incidentally, the first image shows an entry for Evanston, where the 4000s actually did operate, on the signroll.

A very small number of the Plushies, maybe just one or two, received green interiors not long before they were retired. I think Buslist is right; the signbox does look like in came from a 4000. Check out the crank.

Incidentally, the first image shows an entry for Evanston, where the 4000s actually did operate, on the signroll.

Ewww... But given my prior questioning of the crank, it appears you are right that this comes from a 4200 rather than a 6000.

Now we have to bring in the paint chip testers from This Old House, as well as the History Detectives. :P