New forum software

Busjack

Besides the matters raised in the Administrator's Announcement (which isn't immediately visible unless you are in a subforum, such as the list of "CTA Bus" topics), I noted the following changes, which I am sure the rest of you figured out already.

• Reply doesn't work the same as it used to. Instead of there being a Reply button, one has to click on the Quote or Mutiquote button and then use the standard reply box.
  • View New Content also doesn't work like it used to, in that it erases an entry once you view it. Instead, again you have to go to the subforum and find the "Recently Updated" toolbar.
  • The messenger is slightly different, as the icon is like in Yahoo in that a pull down menu appears, although you can also select View All Messages.
  • The dialog box for Insert Link is also slightly different.
  • I didn't see any close button on the expanded downloaded pictures, but clicking outside the picture shrinks it. At least the image is large enough to see.

If I come up with anything else, I'll add it here.

You can make replies without using the Quote or MultiQuote buttons by using the reply form at the bottom of each topic, just as with the old version. For the expanded reply form, you can click the "More Reply Options" button below that form. There's also still a regular "Reply to this topic" button at the top of each topic.

When viewing an attached photo, you should see a "Close" link at the bottom. Note that I'm considering replacing the default image viewer with the same one used on the main site for better consistency.

You can make replies without using the Quote or MultiQuote buttons by using the reply form at the bottom of each topic, just as with the old version. For the expanded reply form, you can click the "More Reply Options" button below that form. There's also still a regular "Reply to this topic" button at the top of each topic....

The point I was trying to make was that there wasn't an explicit "Reply" button under each post, as there was before.

I was looking for the "x" at the right top of the photo, and didn't see the link, so, thanks. The X is at the bottom, and I didn't feel compelled (until you posted) to scroll that far.

However, I do prefer the larger image in the new version of the software.

I actually like this update also. As noted by Busjack, photos uploaded by members to share are larger and clearer to see and the format to attach links as well as using bold, italics and underlining is easier to do without having to go back and making sure you're placing your text in between the encoding marks like you did under the old format and with now just entering those in a post as you would do in an edit in Microsoft Word.

... and the format to attach links as well as using bold, italics and underlining is easier to do without having to go back and making sure you're placing your text in between the encoding marks like you did under the old format and with now just entering those in a post as you would do in an edit in Microsoft Word.

The former software had an RTF editor, but you had to activate that in the preferences. Not that that makes any difference now.

I also have to modify my prior comments about "View New Content," since the current version has a pane on the left where those preferences can be changed.

• 3 weeks later...

Another observation:

While this software seems somewhat picky about editing quote boxes (the box disappears if you backspace too far, it is possible, once a reply box is in use, to click the quote button again and have another quote appear in the same reply box. You can even do that in several messages, as I did below (only for illustrative purposes), without having to copy and paste.

The former software had an RTF editor, but you had to activate that in the preferences. Not that that makes any difference now.

I also have to modify my prior comments about "View New Content," since the current version has a pane on the left where those preferences can be changed.

I actually like this update also. As noted by Busjack, photos uploaded by members to share are larger and clearer to see and the format to attach links as well as using bold, italics and underlining is easier to do without having to go back and making sure you're placing your text in between the encoding marks like you did under the old format and with now just entering those in a post as you would do in an edit in Microsoft Word.

• 2 months later...

I like how you can just paste links in your post versus typing them. (I'm always screwing those up or they don't work) This is much more convenient. But I still haven't figured out how to link off a word, but it's not a big deal.

Look up at the menu bar on top of the reply box. In the line with the buttons for B and I, there is also a button with a chain. Click that button, and there is a dialog box where you can paste the url. The only difference this time is that it supplies the http automatically.

If you mouseover the buttons, a "Link" tool tag legend should appear.

And if you want to link off a word or phrase, just select it with the mouse before clicking the button.

I'm also assuming that you are getting a Rich Text reply box; check your settings if you are not.

Here's a good one I can't figure out. Why do Google and Bing appear as members under the members list, sometimes online. Bing is currently is reading a topic. WTH? They are not real members are they? Or is someone using the search engine Bing or Google and it's leading them to a said topic?

Here's a good one I can't figure out. Why do Google and Bing appear as members under the members list, sometimes online. Bing is currently is reading a topic. WTH? They are not real members are they? Or is someone using the search engine Bing or Google and it's leading them to a said topic?

Kevin can explain better, but obviously "robots" or "web crawlers" from Google and Bing are "reading" this site to index it for their services.

No offense intended, but sometimes I use Google and a search in the form of "site:chicagobus.org + [search terms]" because their connectors such as quotes, plus, and minus, seem to narrow it down better than the search box above does. Hell, I just gave away one of my secrets.

But this search idea came from one wrestling site, which, when asked why they didn't have a search box, said "use Google."

• Upvote 1

Also noticed just now the small close X in the upper right of forum post signatures. Kevins posts do not have this, but all others I have seen did. Not going to click it to find out what it does, and didn't see any tooltip come up to tell me either.

EDIT: Noticed just now that apparently whatever it does, you can't do it to your own posts either.

Also noticed just now the small close X in the upper right of forum post signatures. Kevins posts do not have this, but all others I have seen did. Not going to click it to find out what it does, and didn't see any tooltip come up to tell me either.

EDIT: Noticed just now that apparently whatever it does, you can't do it to your own posts either.

This allows you to hide a specific user's signature, or all signatures.

Oh, OK. Never really noticed that hide signature X before. but then, cleaned off my laptop screen for the first time since last fall. Amazing how much dust can accumulate, especially from using a Dremel Tool nearby often. Everything looks brighter now!

Looks like you can get the organic type of bugs in your laptop. However, you are in that business. :lol:

Being in that business, I have seen that many times. Nothing worse than opening up a computer and finding roaches inside. None of those in mine! In my case, it is more dust from cutting and sanding balsa and basswood, and some pine here and there. Keep my laptop at my workbench at home, a 17" LCD is handy when researching old railroad liveries or detailing a specific car.