What's left for the Optima Opus' (#500 - #544)/ Lifetime assignments, in service dates, retirements

BusHunter

I for one won't miss these buses. After that short ride I had on the 84 in bus 542, I was glad that after the six years these things have been in service that it was only my first time ever riding one of those things. And I hope it's my last. As stated they are uncomfortable to be in and it feels as if you're packed in a sardine can instead of riding a transit bus. The 30 foot version of the Flxible Metro models that I rode on Champaign-Urbana's MTD during the 90s were of much better quality than these things. Too bad CTA advertised for 96 inch wide buses otherwise they definitely could have gone for D35LFs or maybe even D30LFs if they absolutely had to go for a 30 foot bus. Heck, as unlikely as it is for CTA to go for Gillig buses, a 30 Gillig low floor would have been a huge improvement over these. They at least would have had buses that actually sit on a chassis that is more worthy of being called a bus chassis.

... The chassis is too small to support a bus. It's like a bus on a car frame. ...

The repeated complaints of this nature remind me that they were essentially knocked down kits from Wrightbus, especially the aluminum structure on top, which were then assembled by Optima. So, there may be a basis to the complaints, even though this was a standard English bus.

See, especially, their Expotech page.

The repeated complaints of this nature remind me that they were essentially knocked down kits from Wrightbus, especially the aluminum structure on top, which were then assembled by Optima. So, there may be a basis to the complaints, even though this was a standard English bus.

See, especially, their Expotech page.

I think the idea that this is a smaller bus and the temptation of using smaller wheels and other chassis components in order to achieve a cheaper overall price in the long run hurt the final product. Yes, it is a cheaper smaller bus, but it sacrifices quality. I believe the Pace 30' eldorado buses have a heavier chassis. This improves on the ride, performance and longevity of the final product.

... I believe the Pace 30' eldorado buses have a heavier chassis. This improves on the ride, performance and longevity of the final product.

If nothing else, ElDorado National was completely responsible for them, although even it makes a distinction between a 35 foot EZ Rider II and he same length Axess. It least it says that the EZ Rider II is heavy duty.

In addition, the Optimas occasionally see service on those CTA routes that enter Oak Park, such as the #86 Narragansett-Ridgeland. This day's PM rush, one Optima is operating on the #86 while the #206 Evanston Circulator is operated entirely with 40-foot Novas.

Well maybe not all those routes are capable of using Optimas, but I'm sure some are. As indicated about the early demise of the 7500's for safety reasons though here, retiring the Optimas at just six years of age is a waste of funds and taxpayers money. There is nothing wrong with them, unlike the NABI's. Are they limited on what routes they can run on? Yes, but several of the mentioned routes above could probably run them until 2018, which is the 12-year lifespan, and FTA requirement for buses purchased with Federal money, and according to this press release, these buses were purchased with a grant through the RTA.

I was under the impression that the lifespan for a 30-foot medium duty bus like the Optimas was 10 years, unless that recently changed.

If it is retired or not, it is one of the few 30-footers of which I got a picture. ;)

I think most everyone here on this forum knows that Chicago garage routes #57 Laramie & #73 Armitage are interlined. But I haven't found any posts relating that from Forest Glen garage, routes #68 Northwest Highway & #88 Higgins are interlined. :o

[P.S.: Ignore that bus in the left background. ;)]

post-444-13581230915523_thumb.jpg

I was under the impression that the lifespan for a 30-foot medium duty bus like the Optimas was 10 years, unless that recently changed.

Depends on what it was rated in Altoona testing.

It was said that the Pace El Dorado Transmarks were rated at 10 years, but the current EZ Riders at 12.

In the case of the Chance Opus, the Altoona test was for a 12 year bus. Report.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

This Friday midday, of the two UoC routes that currently operate during this time, only the #172 (Kenwood) is operated with Optimas. The #171 (Hyde Park) is operated with regular (40-foot, 102-inch) New Flyers. These are the same two routes that operate middays and during the day on weekends during the academic year. In the summer months (assuming that the UoC continues to partially fund the routes), these two routes operate during weekday rush periods only.

When there was that petition to save the #11 route, my comment was to use one of these buses as a Lincoln Shuttle between Fullerton and Western.

I used to travel to Greenville, NC on business. They have about a dozen of the 35' version. That system did not like them as they were thought to not be of a design for all-day transit service, but for low-mileage shuttles.

30' versions of them are used on Glacier National Park Shuttles on the east and west side of Going to the Sun Road. They do carry heavy loads and do serious hill climbing.

When there was that petition to save the #11 route, my comment was to use one of these buses as a Lincoln Shuttle between Fullerton and Western.

I used to travel to Greenville, NC on business. They have about a dozen of the 35' version. That system did not like them as they were thought to not be of a design for all-day transit service, but for low-mileage shuttles.

30' versions of them are used on Glacier National Park Shuttles on the east and west side of Going to the Sun Road. They do carry heavy loads and do serious hill climbing.

Well they pretty much aren't designed for heavy loads in Chicago though Forest Glen still seems to use them on routes that potentially get them during the times those routes get them. I made a few posts about the 84 Peterson having at least one in service during the morning rush hours on a daily basis now. Yet there are none used on the route during the weekend when the service is much lighter and light enough to where you can say yeah it makes sense to see an Optima on this route during that point.

So they use them on low density routes on weekday rush hours mostly, and those are just the sort of routes that have been getting the axe.

I supposed they could be used as a fuel economy measure on some Night Owl routes that are normally heavy during the day. But they seem to be the bus of last resort. Maybe they should trade some to PACE. They seem to use a lot of 40's buses where a 30' bus would do it.

When I visited Chicago last October, I went out to a Hobby Shop on the 68/NW Hwy. They had 2 Optimas out late morning, but about 3 hours later, just New Flyers.

So they use them on low density routes on weekday rush hours mostly, and those are just the sort of routes that have been getting the axe.

I supposed they could be used as a fuel economy measure on some Night Owl routes that are normally heavy during the day. But they seem to be the bus of last resort. Maybe they should trade some to PACE. They seem to use a lot of 40's buses where a 30' bus would do it.

When I visited Chicago last October, I went out to a Hobby Shop on the 68/NW Hwy. They had 2 Optimas out late morning, but about 3 hours later, just New Flyers.

If anything, I think Pace has too many of the shorties, and you want them to take on more? Also Pace does a lot of interlining so while one route may not necessarily need a 40 ft bus, its interlining partner may very well need it. Truth be told, CTA really didn't need those Optimas, or need 45 of them. I don't see CTA ever purchasing 30 ft buses again, and I think Pace is through with that for the foreseeable future.

What's the point of all the posts that "they should trade them to pace," or the previous ones "they should give them to the South Shore"? Pace has 229 short buses, which sure seems like enough. Why should other TAs take stuff the members here want, and what would Pace trade back (as they always ask on sports radio hot stove league shows)? Does CTA really want an Orion VI?

What's the point of all the posts that "they should trade them to pace," or the previous ones "they should give them to the South Shore"? Pace has 229 short buses, which sure seems like enough. Why should other TAs take stuff the members here want, and what would Pace trade back (as they always ask on sports radio hot stove league shows)? Does CTA really want an Orion VI?

On that last question in your post, I would say probably not.

Well the bottom line is the Optimas are junk buses, the operators don't want to use them. Maybe if CTA had some of pace's #2600 Eldo's they would've worked better. I can see using them on the NW side and around Midway, and U of C, but since all this service cutting CTA interlines alot more so the buses no longer work in half the cases and then they eliminate the service that uses them, so that just further eliminates the need for shorter buses. The buses if they were something else would have stuck around longer. They do seem to work pretty good for the Evanston, Skokie service other than the buses are inferior. Give them some good buses and the system would work!!

Well the bottom line is the Optimas are junk buses, the operators don't want to use them. Maybe if CTA had some of pace's #2600 Eldo's they would've worked better....

Essentially no. CTA never figured out how to use the 30 foot buses, and, for that matter, Pace never really figured out how to use the 35 foot buses, which I said were a mistake.

• 1 month later...

Essentially no. CTA never figured out how to use the 30 foot buses, and, for that matter, Pace never really figured out how to use the 35 foot buses, which I said were a mistake.

In fairness, the NABI 35' were a mistake. The Orion I's served a much better purpose (at least with the seating).

If one is concerned about the upcoming retirement of Optimas, the CTA Tattler has where two are going.

Hopefully they can tie down or mount the Ventra machines or someone could get hurt!! :lol: Those buses lurch so bad it sounds like a bad idea. Of course if the buses are stationary which they'll probably be I guess everyone's safe. But I'd have a few extra machines on hand just in case!! :P

• 2 weeks later...

Last Thursday, when attending a sexpositive people's munch at Emmett's in Downers Grove; I got off the express train at Main St., Downers Grove {It was the 6:18 pm train non-stop from Union Station to there; but it left Union Sta. late ~ @ 6:31 pm.}; I espied two 35-foot blue-liveried Pace buses queued up at the Main St. sta. There is a history of CTA buying buses from outlying RTA districts. Perhaps CTA can sell the Optima buses to Pace for use on outlying train station shuttles. ^_^ (Sorry about the lack of photographs. Sexpositive people are leary about photos of them being posted on-line even if they are not contemporaneously engaging in kinky behavior. So I do not bring my camera when attending these munches. :()

Last Thursday, when attending a sexpositive people's munch at Emmett's in Downers Grove; I got off the express train at Main St., Downers Grove {It was the 6:18 pm train non-stop from Union Station to there; but it left Union Sta. late ~ @ 6:31 pm.}; I espied two 35-foot blue-liveried Pace buses queued up at the Main St. sta. There is a history of CTA buying buses from outlying RTA districts. Perhaps CTA can sell the Optima buses to Pace for use on outlying train station shuttles. ^_^ (Sorry about the lack of photographs. Sexpositive people are leary about photos of them being posted on-line even if they are not contemporaneously engaging in kinky behavior. So I do not bring my camera when attending these munches. :()

Don't know what a Sexpositive Person is, and won't go no further with that... on the subject of the Optimas, however... CTA is just planning to phase them out, plain and simple, no selling to any other Transit Agencies expected currently. Although, I think they might be waiting a little longer than earlier thought, as now chicagobus.org members have said Ventra readers have appeared on them. That to me is an indication that they'll be around for a year or two more. The 5300-Series Flxibles were said to not be getting the LED displays with the next stop info and the Mr. CTA canned voice because they were going to be retired before the TMC's.... look what happened there. They were all finally retired in 2009, and the TMC's, which were rehabbed, in 2008.