CTA Trains on tv

busfan2

I was watching the Bob Newhart show last night on MeTV and I notice he rides a train in the opening credits. Looking on Chicago-l.org I'm thinking it is the 1-50 and 61-65 series of cars but I also wonder if it could be the 6000 series. Help!

As is frequently noted, there are all sorts of discontinuities in that opening sequence (again the MeTV link).

In the beginning, he gets onto a 6000 series (flat door train; I though a number about 608X was visible, but not on the web video), presumably Ravenswood train. However, the cross window view is obviously from a 2000 series Lake-Dan Ryan train, given the picture windows and blue padded seats. Then there is a 2 car set of 6000s going over the Wells St. bridge, but then a single unit at what turns out to be the Isabella station. The single units then would have been 1-50, as they weren't rebuilt into the 60s series until the 1990s. Since in Evanston-Wilmette, more likely 40-50.

For discontinuities, later shows showed that his apartment was at Thorndale and Sheridan, but none of the indicated trains went there. At the time, the Sun-Times said that his apartment was between Evanston and Wilmette. No it wasn't, but the station was. Most thought that the station was on the Ravenswood, but the platform is not between the tracks.

Good Times has a similar shot of the Wells St. bridge, but with 4000 series trains running.

Go to Hulu.com You can download movies on that site. I ask you to look up and download the movie "The Million Dollar Rip Off". CTA trains from 1975! As well as a nice scene filmed at Skokie Shops with 4000s and some other vintage CTA equipment. Check it out!

Thanks for the information Busjack. I will be really looking at the opening sequence with more intensity. I didn't notice everything you mentioned. When I do get down to Chicago my experience on the L is the Red line and I don't remember what I rode when I first visited in the late 80s. I didn't get back down to Chicago until 5 or 6 years ago and so I try to get down at least once a year to go to a museum or just to sight see. I do plan on famaliarizing myself with the rail cars more.

@CTA5750 I will look up that movie. Thanks for the suggestion.

Thanks for the information Busjack. I will be really looking at the opening sequence with more intensity. I didn't notice everything you mentioned. When I do get down to Chicago my experience on the L is the Red line and I don't remember what I rode when I first visited in the late 80s. I didn't get back down to Chicago until 5 or 6 years ago and so I try to get down at least once a year to go to a museum or just to sight see. I do plan on famaliarizing myself with the rail cars more.

@CTA5750 I will look up that movie. Thanks for the suggestion.

The CTA 6000s are actually the stars of the movie!

... When I do get down to Chicago my experience on the L is the Red line and I don't remember what I rode when I first visited in the late 80s. ...

One has to remember than until the segments were switched in about 1993, Howard was connected with Englewood-Jackson Park.

Mid 80s would have seen a mixture of 6000s and 2000s, 2600s, but 6000s could not be mixed with others in a single train. The 6000s would have been mostly phased out in the late 80s as the delivery of 2600s was completed.

This page of Chicago Transit and Railfan might help.

This thread reminds me of something.

I grew up in Davenport, Iowa, and my dad was originally from Elmwood Park, near Chicago. When I was 2 years old, my dad took me to my grandpa's house. I still remember parts of the trip. Not surprising, as I was also reading on my own at age two.

Part of the trip was grandpa and my dad taking me on the L. This would be 1986 or maybe first half of 1987 at the latest. I remember it was a bit cool out, as my grandpa insisted I wear something warm "just in case".

I remember the L being in a subway for part of the trip, and I asked my dad "Does this train go to Michigan?" and dad, apparently either misunderstanding what I meant, answered "Yes it does stop at Michigan Avenue".

Grandpa told me something about paying attention to the train I was on, as they would be gone soon. As I am fourth generation of model railroader in the family, and both grandpa and my dad were into trains to some extent (Though I more than make up for it- trains are my life and my first love!), I would think grandpa was referring to the train itself and not to the service.

Any clues what he might have meant?

For what it's worth, this trip was also memorable, as dad loaded into the trunk of his car his old Lionel trains. Seeing that as a baby I was always giggling and happy when we stopped for a train at the crossing, he decided to bring home his Lionel from grandpa's house. Few days or so later, my dad surprised me. He had my mother take me out shopping with her, and when we came back, he had the living room filled with track running everywhere and a train running on it!

And so it began!

• 5 months later...

Getting back to Dr. Hartley (1973 copyright), tonight on MeTV there were closeup shots of a train of green and white 2000s pulling away from a loop platform, followed by a head on shot of a single unit stopped at Isabella with a HOWARD destination sign, which was typical of the Evanston Wilmette shuttle at that time on the south end of the car.

• 1 month later...

Now we can see the original interior appointments for the #2200's which I haven't seen in years. Somewhere on the internet they have pictures of when they showcased the Budd cars in the late 60's. Kind of weird they have women models showcasing them. It kind of makes me laugh because it reminds me of The Price Is Right's showcase showdown. It's like "you have just won a shiny new "L" car" :lol: (maybe I can put up some pictures later, I think I downloaded them)

Theres a show that aired in 1957. This is an early Firefighter show filmed in Chicago with the cooperation of the CFD. Some good city scenes. Some CTA L action. Im sure youll be able to make out some locations. A CTA Flx propane also makes a cameo! :) YouTube its called "Chicago 2-1-2" Pretty good cTA scenes. 6000s in the opening and 4000 series cars crossing Lake st bridge at Wacker. You can make out the Merchandise Mart in the background.

Thanks. Between what tv I have to watch coming from cable and internet tv (Netflix or Hulu), I don't see too many of the strictly local ads beyond the occasional Jewel or Dominick's ads. :lol:

Was on channel 9, and I wouldn't have seen it except that something on channel 32 ticked me off, so I hit the remote.

Was on channel 9, and I wouldn't have seen it except that something on channel 32 ticked me off, so I hit the remote.

Ok. Channel 9 does have more advertisements at times from businesses that are totally local as opposed to national chains or what were the local branches of a national chain and lost their unique identities to those chains.