7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Unlike the situation in about 2007 where the 4400s at both 103 and NP were falling apart simultaneously, that doesn't seem to be the case here, especially given the reports that the 6800s are being sent back to FG, and those are about a year newer than 6708 and under. It also appears that 77th still has the lowest numbered and most abused 6400s, although it is not clear what the effect of sending 1200s back to them is. Of course, the odds evens was a surprise when that happened.

From all outward appearance, they are making 77th all Nf, maybe to help in getting buses to south shops faster for rehab. I think they may go even odd #7900's between 74th and chicago. FG will be put on the back burner holding the newest #6800 buses. But for some reason I get the feeling Chicago may send over the #1040's to #1080's to fg and they might keep the #1000's and 77th the #1200's. This way fg can lose #6498-#6520 and #6573-6593.

Because those are part of the old buses and I have a hard time believing cta wants to send 250 new #7900 buses to Fg

Wrong Nova model Busjack. :lol:

No it wasn't.The original post in reply to Mel's was at best ambiguous. If he wants to know how 7900's back looks, he can scroll up to Mel's picture of it in front of 567. But I thought he didn't need me to tell him that.

.... But for some reason I get the feeling Chicago may send over the #1040's to #1080's to fg and they might keep the #1000's and 77th the #1200's. This way fg can lose #6498-#6520 and #6573-6593. Because those are part of the old buses and I have a hard time believing cta wants to send 250 new #7900 buses to Fg

I see your point in that FG has a disproportionate number of 6400s, between what it had and what it got from Archer in 2010 and apparently from C in the low 6700s. Doesn't quite explain sending 1200s to 77th instead of say, 6500s or 6600s, but obviously there is some undisclosed plan here.

There may also be the opposite of the situation discussed with Garmon where Pace replaced big buses with small ones, but indirectly--CTA may have used 4300s to replace Optimas, again, indirectly.

So Forest Glen is going to be a garage full of buses 12-14 years old??? The New Flyers are being pulled from here to go to other garages(down to 47 and most likely losing those to other garages for Novas). That's not an even spread... look at the other garages... they have an age spread with New Flyers that are getting rehabbed.

Forest Glen has to be getting Nova Smart Buses first if they're taking all the New Flyers away. Otherwise Forest Glen is going to be the highest maintenance garage with the oldest equipment serving all it's routes(and some are very high passenger traffic, like #56, #80, #77, #78, #152 to name a few) and breakdowns will surely surge at this garage with an all Nova 1st Gen fleet.

Go back to 74th garage when it was all 6000s and everyone else had 1000s or 6400s. Did that situation last?

If the Novas were rehabbed, I'd say ok, fine...

They apparently got some sort of in house rehab about the time they got the target CTA logos. Probably no less than you claim for the 6000s, which were not shipped out for rehabs, and certainly not to the extent the 4400s got.

And I certainly bet that 77th's original allocation (up to about 6515, plus or minus a couple) have a hell of a lot more mileage than any FG bus with the orange destination signs.

But I assume you have all of the computerized maintenance records to support your claims. Why not post them?

It did at the time... ..

I now realize that you attempted, for about a half hour, to divert the discussion from the point I was trying to make, which is....

Despite all the fuming about 2009 about 74th only having 6000s, that situation changed about 6 months later. Apparently, now it is about half 1000s.

Do you really believe that after CTA has received the minimum of 300 buses it has ordered, it still is going to leave 250 obsolete buses at Forest Glen? Do you still believe that in that a certain number of articulated buses, either received or to be ordered, were also said to be replacing Novas and Optimas?

Hence, your beliefs (such as based on a negative about what's on the website) about the state of the maintenance records on the buses is irrelevant. The only relevant point is BusHunter's, whether some 1000s are going to be shifted back to FG or it will have an essentially new fleet, when the delivery of the 300 buses is done (plus any others contemplated by this solicitation). But it certainly will not have 250 15 year old buses at that point.

On the other hand, the 6000s were not announced for replacement (other than as a sham in the announcement of leasing the 150 articulated buses, and that turned out not to be the reason they were leased), and in fact were not replaced, just eventually junked.

They apparently got some sort of in house rehab about the time they got the target CTA logos. Probably no less than you claim for the 6000s, which were not shipped out for rehabs, and certainly not to the extent the 4400s got.

And I certainly bet that 77th's original allocation (up to about 6515, plus or minus a couple) have a hell of a lot more mileage than any FG bus with the orange destination signs.

But I assume you have all of the computerized maintenance records to support your claims. Why not post them?

Remember the, I believe it was 284 Nova powertrains that were on bid that I spoke of. (now that would be an interesting ordinance to find) They at least did that, but there was no complete rehab.

Actually the mileage question would be interesting to answer. Fg has always ran the novas hard because they have never had more than 67 NF's and really the garage needs about 128 buses to run a newer bus on the weekend and keep the old buses at the garage for weekday use. Garages like 74th can run high quantities of newer buses because they have more so they have less novas on the weekend. Chicago can really rest the novas with only 61, that's one reason why they run good there. 77th now run artics and the #1000's are increasing and they have had #6800's to fall back on themselves. So the #6400 mileage is probably alot closer than we think and the least mileage buses may actually be at Chicago.

...So the #6400 mileage is probably alot closer than we think and the least mileage buses may actually be at Chicago.

As I noted, not necessarily relevant to this topic, but, anyway, one would also have to take into account (1) the couple of years that Archer was all Nova, and (2) 77th's buses get more abuse.

Foamers gonna foam. I just prefer not to have the new equipment falter to the likes of the 7500's.

I'm not going to beat around the bush with you anymore about Novas and rehabs or not..

You seemed to accept my point yesterday that this line of argument was irrelevant to speculation about where 7900s (and maybe 4400s of 2016 vintage) would be assigned. Also, you seem, as in the 1000s thread, to accept an all or nothing. So maybe you should read what MetroShadow said.

I'm not going to beat around the bush with you anymore about Novas and rehabs or not... but here's one observation I picked up while out this afternoon...

#6500 on #81

#6585 on #152

Both buses had the speedline CTA logo... no circular CTA logos. If the circular CTA logos indicate rehabs, then these two were never rehabbed, and I'm sure there's more in other number blocks(6400, 6500, 6600, 6700 and 6800) that also have the speedline CTA logos still... that would also indicate a non-rehabbed bus. I will do a search and see if I can find some buses in these various ranges with speedline logos, which would indicate no rehabs.

Dude let it go. You're still missing the point that Busjack was attempting to shine before your eyes that by the time the base order of 300 and possible option for an additional 150 buses are completely delivered, it's highly unlikely all that many 6400 series Novas will even be around, if any, to even be able to keep 250 older model Novas assigned at FG while other garages have the 7900 series ones. And the 74th having almost all 6000s situation is also different in that if not for the 2010 cuts, the Flxibles wouldn't have been set for retirement at that time considering the talk in early 2010 was if the union agreed to whatever concessions CTA wanted then, they would move things to reverse the cuts, reopen Archer and put the 6000s back on the road.

• Upvote 4

Dude let it go. You're still missing the point that Busjack was attempting to shine before your eyes that by the time the base order of 300 and possible option for an additional 150 buses are completely delivered, it's highly unlikely all that many 6400 series Novas will even be around, if any, to even be able to keep 250 older model Novas assigned at FG while other garages have the 7900 series ones. And the 74th having almost all 6000s situation is also different in that if not for the 2010 cuts, the Flxibles wouldn't have been set for retirement at that time considering the talk in early 2010 was if the union agreed to whatever concessions CTA wanted then, they would move things to reverse the cuts, reopen Archer and put the 6000s back on the road.

That's is oh so true I got done reading that like a day and a half ago and my brain hurt from all this knowledge but its a good learning pain lol

So let me get this straight; how in the hell this topic went from talking about the new Novas to old Novas to 6000s (I understand where you're coming from about them Busjack) to 4400s(???) resulting an uncalled altercation between you guys (sw4400 and Busjack). Look, I admire both of y'all passion and knowledge about a lot of things discussed on here. That's one of the main reasons why I've became a member but my goodness sw it shouldn't put yourself in a position of you going out of yourself like it's a competition of something with all do respect. Sometimes, we all going to have some disagreements about certain things but it shouldn't get to the point that it becomes very disconcerting towards everybody else on here. Both of you are dynamic members for almost 10 years with a hell of reputation!!! Come on now, it shouldn't have to be like that!!!

• Upvote 3

So let me get this straight; how in the hell this topic went from talking about the new Novas to old Novas to 6000s (I understand where you're coming from about them Busjack) to 4400s(???) resulting an uncalled altercation between you guys (sw4400 and Busjack). Look, I admire both of y'all passion and knowledge about a lot of things discussed on here. That's one of the main reasons why I've became a member but my goodness sw it shouldn't put yourself in a position of you going out of yourself like it's a competition of something with all do respect. Sometimes, we all going to have some disagreements about certain things but it shouldn't get to the point that it becomes very disconcerting towards everybody else on here. Both of you are dynamic members for almost 10 years with a hell of reputation!!! Come on now, it shouldn't have to be like that!!!

Garmon757, I hope this thread can simmer down too. I just want to get from point A to point B, and on weekends to point C.

Does anyone have any updates on the new buses?

• Upvote 3

Garmon757, I hope this thread can simmer down too. I just want to get from point A to point B, and on weekends to point C.

Does anyone have any updates on the new buses?

Hopefully it does calm down because it was getting way too outta hand. That's why I've haven't comment that much about this topic as of lately.

About the status of the new Novas, I haven't heard anything else about it as of lately.

• Upvote 1

I'm glad it calmed down too cause I was about to go off too!! Lol nah just kidding but i agree they both have great knowledge of what they talk about. I personally didn't it was that bad between them they always go back and forth like that I been a member since 09 and seen that battle plenty of times. I think they have great respect fOr each other they never get disrespectful sometimes they just clash like that guys it's cool. But back to the topic, I haven't heard from or seen the new novas lately. I can't remember who did this at 1st but I'm starting to think it won't be a press for the 7900's. It looks like when they're ready to go cta will just sneak them on in there just like they did the 4300's.

• Upvote 2

.... It looks like when they're ready to go cta will just sneak them on in there just like they did the 4300's.

As I indicated above, I doubt that CTA will just sneak them in. While there wasn't a press conference for "look at this new 4300" there was certainly a lot of press coverage that 100 buses were needed to run the Red Line replacement service, and certainly all the TV file footage (still being used) of 4300s lined up at Garfield.

I still think it is something like what Mel indicated; there is one and maybe 2 prototype(s) around, they are getting some internal testing, and the real deliveries will occur en masse a few months later. But it sure isn't at the stage where there is a whole mess of buses sighted on I-80/94 (or maybe the Skyway) getting off I-94 either at 79th or Foster.

And, also as predicted, Rahm gets his press event.

Also note that the release says, for the first time:

The CTA in 2012 purchased 100 New Flyer 60-foot articulated buses by piggybacking on a King County Metro (Seattle) contract, to provide a fleet for free bus shuttle service during the Red Line South reconstruction project in 2013 (emphasis added).

This is long overdue...

To Kevin & the forum members.... things did get a little heated... it happens, and I have let the matter go. I apologize to you all, but there is too many to list.... so this is a forum-member wide apology.

To Busjack.... you and I both got a little caught up in this latest scrap. I think it's time to extend the olive branch and just get back on topic... I'm sure you have, but as an act of a peace offering to the forum.... let's end this and move on... we both handled this bantering incorrectly. So my olive branch is extended... will you return the favor in front of the forum???

• Upvote 4