7900-series Nova LFS - Updates

South Shop 7

Strange that there are two buses on the way. The prototype is one bus. I think that delivery has officially started on the series. If that's the case we'll soon see mass amounts of buses coming in soon at a pace of about 5-10 a week, if they deliver similar to the #6400's. That's the only way they can deliver 300 buses in 2014.

I can't help but believe somehow this latest FG/77th transfer has something to do with these #7900's arriving. Somehow the objective seems to get the #6800's to Fg and Fg's #6500's to 77th. I'd be really surprised if these #7900 buses don't debut at 77th.

well mostly a large amount of 4300's started at 103rd with the Dan Ryan Shuttle even thought they weren't debuted they just came straight into service so i think based on the facts and 7901's wereabouts 77th should debut them .

P.S i couldn't get a picture cause too many buses were moving around but i can say it looks like a nice bus hope it can ride well lol

• Upvote 1

well mostly a large amount of 4300's started at 103rd with the Dan Ryan Shuttle even thought they weren't debuted they just came straight into service so i think based on the facts and 7901's wereabouts 77th should debut them .

P.S i couldn't get a picture cause too many buses were moving around but i can say it looks like a nice bus hope it can ride well lol

How were the door? We're they like the regular nova doors or were they like the standard cta type doors

NovaBus 7901 is in the Shop building for inspection

They want to give it a once over and probably train the South Shop mechanics the ins and outs of the bus, so they know how to fix various components. Being an all tech world now, they could probably hook up a mobile computer or laptop with the software to diagnose problems within the bus. I gather in the next week or two, the CTA will have a press conference welcoming these buses to the fleet. I at least got that from them in a response...

"We also don’t want to hurt CTA's plan for a public announcement..."

"We also don’t want to hurt CTA's plan for a public announcement..."

As usual, Emanuel will want to take sole credit, with Frosty the Snowman Claypool in the background. Maybe Freedman will be there, too.

And if Daley at the 4000s rollout was any indication, not at the garage where they will be first assigned.

• Upvote 1

As usual, Emanuel will want to take sole credit, with Frosty the Snowman Claypool in the background. Maybe Freedman will be there, too.

And if Daley at the 4000s rollout was any indication, not at the garage where they will be first assigned.

Of course when the 1000s were debutted, that press conference wasn't at any garage but at Navy Pier instead.

Maybe it will stop by CTA headquarters soon, they seem to do that with new buses. They might even take it around to all the garages to give garage personnel a chance to see the bus. Being that it's only 1 so far, maybe it is a prototype, but the rest are probably not far behind it. It could be similar to the #5000's where there was a prototype and a factory prototype that is staying at the factory for a while.

Any news or pics on the new 7800 series buses. I can't wait to see them. can someone go out and get some pics?

They're actually named the 7900 series and as far as pics go no not yet, I myself tried get a view and pics of them twice driving past 77th garage but I guess at the time they were inside south shops. I too am anxious to see the new fleet hopefully next week they will bring them out to see the world so to speak lol.

They're actually named the 7900 series and as far as pics go no not yet, I myself tried get a view and pics of them twice driving past 77th garage but I guess at the time they were inside south shops. I too am anxious to see the new fleet hopefully next week they will bring them out to see the world so to speak lol.

It's going to be soon... I can feel it. CTA will hold a Press Conference introducing the 7900-Series perhaps this week... maybe tomorrow... we'll see.

I drove past 77th garage twice trying to get at least a glimpse of the new Novas but didn't see a thing. I guess they were inside south shop. Hopefully I'll have better luck next time lol.

This is another indication we might be close to seeing them. Mr.cta85 mentioned the new Novas as they, not it. They means more than one, so we have at least two or more on CTA property currently.

It's going to be soon... I can feel it. CTA will hold a Press Conference introducing the 7900-Series perhaps this week... maybe tomorrow... we'll see.

I'm still banking on no press relase. I think that pretty much ended along with every other public communication once Claypool took over. We stopped getting press releases for service changes, no more president's reports, etc. It seems to me these are going to be phased in the same way the 4300's were. Only people who physically walk by 77th are going to know they're here until its time for revenue service.

I'm still banking on no press relase. I think that pretty much ended along with every other public communication once Claypool took over. We stopped getting press releases for service changes, no more president's reports, etc. It seems to me these are going to be phased in the same way the 4300's were. Only people who physically walk by 77th are going to know they're here until its time for revenue service.

You are correct that about any transparency at CTA has ended. However, as I pointed out, Emanuel loves these press ops. And sw said that he got an e-mail back from the flacks saying that there would be one. Again, as I pointed out, Emanuel has to boost that he got the seat jobs in Chicago (whether he personally did or did not).

However, his percentage on picking the date has been really off.

You are correct that about any transparency at CTA has ended. However, as I pointed out, Emanuel loves these press ops. And sw said that he got an e-mail back from the flacks saying that there would be one. Again, as I pointed out, Emanuel has to boost that he got the seat jobs in Chicago (whether he personally did or did not).

However, his percentage on picking the date has been really off.

Well they had at least two* buses since last week, and I'm sure the South Shop mechanics need to know the inside and outside of the Nova LFS Smart Buses to a "T" for maintenance purposes before they are released for revenue service. The Nova personnel who traveled with the buses are most likely training them as well as taking feedback from CTA brass on anything they don't approve of so they can make changes before going forward with additional buses. They need to put in the Clever Devices units, GPS tracking units for BusTracker, and Fareboxes and Ventra Card readers before these buses can be used. I really don't see that taking longer than two weeks, so just throwing out a possibility that sometime this week, our chances of a Press Conference and first pics of the Nova LFS Smart Buses are, at the very least, greater than 0%.

*= Stated in a post earlier, the LFS Smart Buses at South Shops were classified as "They" not "It", which would indicate more than one are on CTA property at this time...

Well they had at least two* buses since last week, ...

*= Stated in a post earlier, the LFS Smart Buses at South Shops were classified as "They" not "It", which would indicate more than one are on CTA property at this time...

As a result of BusHunter sending us to the Vendor and Payment Database, there was payment of 2 invoices on Jan. 31, which would sure be a clearer indication that two buses were in that state of assembly.

I still think it's just one bus so far. MrCTA85, may have been talking metaphorically. sw may be reading too much into this. I don't doubt the existence of two buses and maybe more on the assembly line at Novabus. But like Busjack says until they release payment to Novabus for more buses, that will be it for now. They may do a press release now or when they go into service. Eventually someone's going to get pictures of the bus and that will be the unofficial press release.

BTW, I learned a few things going through the vendor payments again. If you go to Specialty manufacturing and type in that vendor on the CTA page (that's the #1000's rehab interior light kits supplier) CTA confirms that the contract is for the #800's, #900's, and #1000's, so all NF buses will have LED interior lights shortly. (link below)

http://vcsearch.transitchicago.com/vendorDetail.php?VENDOR_ID=99633

Another thing that's kind of interesting, if you inquire about Kiewit Reyes, A.J.V. they give the payments they made for the block 37 subway tunnel connections. They said they paid out $5 million on that. So what happened to the project, because that never happened unless they mean interior excavation of the site which is not what it says. Or the signaling they installed in the dearborn subway with platform cuts, but that doesn't seem like a $5 million project.

http://vcsearch.transitchicago.com/vendorDetail.php?VENDOR_ID=27748

Clock is ticking to the arrival of XX00, the first of 300* Nova LFS Smart Buses arriving in 2014. Only 28 days in February... which day will the newest addition to the CTA fleet arrive for it's Press Release and first garage assignment???

*= Option for additional 150 Nova LFS Smart Buses available, but not yet exercised

77th as always! Gets the new buses first! Or will get some of them!

Dictator Emmanuel always takes credit for things cares nothing about! He, like Daley didn't give a rats ass about CTA or its riders! Now with another presidential election coming, he will step on anyone he can to get hillary into the WH. So he is giving all the fake "I really do care" photo ops he can, making us believe he cares about our bus system in Chicago! Give me a break!!!

I was only talking about the 2 buses that were seen at south shop which were 7901 and 7900 I forget who 1st reported them but those were the buses I was talking about. But I believe I may got a glimpse of them but emphasis on the glimpse because it may have been the original Novas. But I'll give it a try again tomorrow.

I was only talking about the 2 buses that were seen at south shop which were 7901 and 7900 I forget who 1st reported them but those were the buses I was talking about. But I believe I may got a glimpse of them but emphasis on the glimpse because it may have been the original Novas. But I'll give it a try again tomorrow.

If there are 2 novas at south shops, then they must be passed the prototype stage. I personally only know of #7901. Looking back at my youtube video of the old nova buses, that first news conference with the flashing hazard lights was a press conference inside south shops. (that was supposed to be the prototype, the abc news coverage later in the clip was when the buses actually hit the street. I believe that was actually the next year) The weather is so cold right now, probably that's the only place you could do a press conference without tipping off who will get the buses first. I remember that news conference took place on a single digit weather day as well.

If there are 2 novas at south shops, then they must be passed the prototype stage. I personally only know of #7901. Looking back at my youtube video of the old nova buses, that first news conference with the flashing hazard lights was a press conference inside south shops. (that was supposed to be the prototype, the abc news coverage later in the clip was when the buses actually hit the street. I believe that was actually the next year) The weather is so cold right now, probably that's the only place you could do a press conference without tipping off who will get the buses first. I remember that news conference took place on a single digit weather day as well.

It still in likelihood could be 77th getting some first since it's the garage that still has the oldest of current Novas. If there really is only one bus so far though, they've completely bucked the past practice of prototypes for a bus series ending in 00.

It still in likelihood could be 77th getting some first since it's the garage that still has the oldest of current Novas. If there really is only one bus so far though, they've completely bucked the past practice of prototypes for a bus series ending in 00.

Or maybe 00 hasn't been delivered yet. Sort of like Pace 6323.

Or maybe 00 hasn't been delivered yet. Sort of like Pace 6323.

Probably the question of the hour is if CTA has made payment on the first two buses, wouldn't they then be taking delivery of them. What would be the purpose of the transfer of funds if you are not getting what you purchased?

As far as the xcelsiors, I believe it was reported in september that the buses were 70 percent complete. With no payment present from CTA as of yet, it doesn't look like they'll be here anytime soon. I would say the weather is at fault. (Cold weather doesn't really promote healthy battery life) but I believe an agency in Canada recently took delivery of all electric xcelsiors, so that rules that out.