More New Flyers

newport

Maybe CTA changed the quantity of DE60LFR's and D60LFR's as opposed to the 33 and 67 Seattle originally ordered.

As far as numbering, the CTA won't have the DE60LFR's and the D60LFR's the same numbers.

• We know that when CTA or NF don't agree there is an error (turned out to be of NF's part), but here they seem to, as pointed out.
  • I admitted that I missed Sam's post, but he indicated later on that it didn't have a battery pack.
  • The numbers are only to put something in the roster computer, and to report the bus on Bus Tracker. No other significance.*
  • I also indicated a possible rationale for 800 and 900, but based on other stuff, I have quit predicting numbers. Unless you have the delivery list (people used to post them on the Internet, but I haven't seen any lately), you should too.

*As definitely proved by Pace.

Guess you can't please everybody. No matter what they do with seating arrangements, there is going to be someone disappointed with something it seems. :)

I haven't ridden the bus yet but I like having the seats in the artic joint [the more seats the better]. I am also happy with forward facing seats too. The only change I'd make is eliminating the divider in the rear doorway.

Gene King

I haven't ridden the bus yet but I like having the seats in the artic joint [the more seats the better]. I am also happy with forward facing seats too. The only change I'd make is eliminating the divider in the rear doorway.

Gene King

If I am seeing it correctly, its functions seem to be to hold the stop button and to provide another handhold if standees are packed around the door. From your description, it first sounded like it was dividing the passenger streams (sort of like the divider at the front door of a MAN), but not really.

Also, thinking that some other CTA buses might have had Freedman seats (I'm not sure what I saw on a 1600, but it wasn't this). there is a link to 4One on the Freedman page, so there is apparently some sort of connection between them, as 4One also sells Freedman models. This bus clearly has the American Seating wider seats (but without Pace fabric :blink::lol:).

Nice to see some photos of the 4300s up. Can't wait to ride them when I come back to the city from college for winter break.

The CUMTD of Champaign-Urbana happens to be getting some 40 ft models of these buses, and I couldn't help but spend a good chunk of time viewing the new photos. However, I did come across one photo that what also appears to be a CTA 60 ft artic in the background. I can't quite make out the number (perhaps 4334?), but those who have better eyes maybe can.

Yeah, that is a D60LFR. I can see the A/C units on top and this bus doesn't have the same sidewalls that the DE60LFR's do. So it will run 4300-4399 then.

...However, I did come across one photo that what also appears to be a CTA 60 ft artic in the background. I can't quite make out the number (perhaps 4334?), but those who have better eyes maybe can.

Clicking "Full Screen" or the largest photo box, it sure looks like 4334. Apparently flickr does not allow right clicking to download the image, so I guess we will have to live with that.

Maybe CTA changed the quantity of DE60LFR's and D60LFR's as opposed to the 33 and 67 Seattle originally ordered.

Why would they do that? Maybe the more likely answer is that your assumptions are wrong.

As far as numbering, the CTA won't have the DE60LFR's and the D60LFR's the same numbers. Different bus models are numbered differently.

Already pointed out that there were 4900-series RTS buses and 4900 series Orion Is. Here, we're only talking about a different powertrain.

The 4000-Series New Flyer artics are DE60LF's, not D60LF's. The only reason they stayed intact numerical-wise is because they were the exact same bus, except one was part of a Seattle Metro contract(4000-4149) and the other was purchased through Federal Stimulus Dollars(4150-4207). The only difference is the lighting and seating. The buses have the same Cummins HybriDrive System with an Allison EP-40 Transmission. The 4300's also have a Cummins HybriDrive System with an Allison EP-40 Transmission. The D60LFR's will have a Cummins ISL Engine with a Allison B-400 Transmission.

Powertrain doesn't automatically mean a different number series. The D40LFs from 1930 and up have a different transmission than the rest. There were a few Flxibles in each series (5300 and 6000) that had Cummins engines instead of Detroit Diesel, and they were numbered continuously.

These artics are all part of the same order, so it's not that big of a deal for them to be in the same number series.

Clicking "Full Screen" or the largest photo box, it sure looks like 4334. Apparently flickr does not allow right clicking to download the image, so I guess we will have to live with that.

You can download that picture. I put it on here again for those who still can't do it but it's plain to see it's #4334. One thing Kevin's pictures don't show are the newer headlights (they show up better at night) just like I mentioned the new Axess' had. I took a ride on one myself yesterday and the only difference is that it seems to have more seats in the front of the bus. I counted 61-65 seats. (I think the difference lies in the the 4 sets of two by two seating in front of the seats over the middle axle, but I could be wrong) If so these buses are going to be good crowd fillers with plenty of seats. (This is what they should've done before) BTW, there were quite a few out last night, I spotted #4303, #4304, #4309 on the #6. (#4308 was on Bustracker there but I never saw it) and the #4306 Kevin snapped pictures of earlier in the day. post-304-13560298813332_thumb.jpg

Nice to see some photos of the 4300s up. Can't wait to ride them when I come back to the city from college for winter break.

The CUMTD of Champaign-Urbana happens to be getting some 40 ft models of these buses, and I couldn't help but spend a good chunk of time viewing the new photos. However, I did come across one photo that what also appears to be a CTA 60 ft artic in the background. I can't quite make out the number (perhaps 4334?), but those who have better eyes maybe can.

Definitely 4334. My question is about the 40 ft bus. Is that a CUMTD bus? If not, what agency? That's a nice looking bus.

And let me guess, The clean diesels will go to 77th, Kedzie and NP or Chicago?

Well the sighting of 4333 (a D60LFR) at 103rd might indicate something else... Maybe they might give some extras to 103rd to cover its beefed up service during the Red line shutdown (Rt. J14, 26, and other nearby routes.)

Well the sighting of 4333 (a D60LFR) at 103rd might indicate something else... Maybe they might give some extras to 103rd to cover its beefed up service during the Red line shutdown (Rt. J14, 26, and other nearby routes.)

Maybe, but i think this is a mere function of the buses not being delivered in numerical order, since ever single bus in this sequence has NOT been spotted. I would wait until 103rd actually has 25 of the newbies.

Yeah, that is a D60LFR. I can see the A/C units on top and this bus doesn't have the same sidewalls that the DE60LFR's do. So it will run 4300-4399 then.

That became clear even without the photo once Sam said he saw 4333 and that it was a D60LFR and not a DE60LFR hybrid. But it's good someone had a photo coincidentally enough to show off Champaign getting 40 foot versions of the hybrid model after I commented it would be cool if CTA had 40 foot versions but 4334 just happened to be in the background.

Speaking of CUMTD, I looked through there photo feed for their latest hybrid acquisition and see that they are continuing their trend of getting 40 ft New Flyer buses that have wide rear doors and a rear window in place. I guess having a rear window and wider rear doors works better for UIUC students and Champaign-Urbana residents.

And let me guess, The clean diesels will go to 77th, Kedzie and NP or Chicago?

Possible, possible, possible, unlikely. As indicated earlier, Forest Glen, Chicago, 74th have to get rehabbed to repair and house 60' buses first and that won't begin until early 2013 and be completed sometime in 2015. Until then, articulated buses will be housed at North Park, Kedzie, 77th and 103rd.

Speaking of CUMTD, I looked through there photo feed for their latest hybrid acquisition and see that they are continuing their trend of getting 40 ft New Flyer buses that have wide rear doors and a rear window in place. I guess having a rear window and wider rear doors works better for UIUC students and Champaign-Urbana residents.

Indeed the wider rear door serves its purpose. Some routes once on campus are free to the public to ride, so both rear and front doors allow passengers to board and alight, slightly improving boarding times. I personally like the rear window on some of the older New Flyers, though no particular reason why.

P.S. It is certainly good to be back in Chicago! :) While I was on the Red Line headed home yesterday, I saw 4316 headed south on the Ryan a little south of 87th Street with a "Not In Service" sign. Didn't catch the run number.

Indeed the wider rear door serves its purpose. Some routes once on campus are free to the public to ride, so both rear and front doors allow passengers to board and alight, slightly improving boarding times. I personally like the rear window on some of the older New Flyers, though no particular reason why.

P.S. It is certainly good to be back in Chicago! :) While I was on the Red Line headed home yesterday, I saw 4316 headed south on the Ryan a little south of 87th Street with a "Not In Service" sign. Didn't catch the run number.

It was most likely a 192 deadheading back to 103rd garge or depending on the time you saw the bush it could've also been a 26.

Got a chance to drive the new 4300 series today and I must say they are pretty cool, they're the same as the other nf artics for the exception of a few changes on the dash and the turn radius seem not as tight as the 4000 artics but the acceleration is just as smooth and faster than the previous series. And I gotta admit I love how they don't have the bowling alley seating arrangements and went back to the more classic Chicago style of seating. Over all good bus no complaints at all :D

• Upvote 2

Possible, possible, possible, unlikely. As indicated earlier, Forest Glen, Chicago, 74th have to get rehabbed to repair and house 60' buses first and that won't begin until early 2013 and be completed sometime in 2015. Until then, articulated buses will be housed at North Park, Kedzie, 77th and 103rd.

I have to question if it will happen with Forest Glen because of what I remember of that garage's layout makes it hard to see how it would have the space even with an upgrade making it artic capable, and CTA5750 pretty much backed that up in a post a couple months ago on this. The land around that garage has been getting eaten up fast with new real estate expansions on the residential and commercial sides from what other's have reported about that area, so that garage couldn't even get extra land to expand in addition to what upgrades are needed to house artics if it wanted to.