Whats Left For The Nova LFS #6400's

YoungBusLover

• Replies 80
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i've seen a lot of buses that i loved so much growing up as a child go away and i'm just wondering when will it be time for the nova's to be retired.will it be this year or next year ? :D

There were announcement for grants for about 40 hybrid articulateds to replace a like number of (presumably) Novas. No action as far as procurement seems to have occurred on those grants yet. While there are a few wrecked Novas, it would take a heck of a lot more than 40 buses to replace 480 Novas, unless service were eliminated to the same extent as resulted in the elimination of the 6000s.

The 2012 Capital Plan states that "Between 2012 and 2016, the CTA will spend $166.2 million to purchase vehicles." However, CTA usually states that beyond the 40 mentioned above, a funding source has not been identified to replace all of them.

In that it usually takes a year to get a bus after the contract is awarded, and one hasn't been advertised yet, I wouldn't bet on this year or next year, even though the first bunch of Novas will hit the 12 year FTA life around Thanksgiving 2012. See this thread.

There were announcement for grants for about 40 hybrid articulateds to replace a like number of (presumably) Novas. No action as far as procurement seems to have occurred on those grants yet. While there are a few wrecked Novas, it would take a heck of a lot more than 40 buses to replace 480 Novas, unless service were eliminated to the same extent as resulted in the elimination of the 6000s.

The 2012 Capital Plan states that "Between 2012 and 2016, the CTA will spend $166.2 million to purchase vehicles." However, CTA usually states that beyond the 40 mentioned above, a funding source has not been identified to replace all of them.

In that it usually takes a year to get a bus after the contract is awarded, and one hasn't been advertised yet, I wouldn't bet on this year or next year, even though the first bunch of Novas will hit the 12 year FTA life around Thanksgiving 2012. See this thread.

ok thanks that really helped me out im new here but ive done alittle research about this stuff and i still have a lot of research to do and that right helped me out a lot.but do you really think the nova's can go past 2014 or 2015 without being retired ?

ok thanks that really helped me out im new here but ive done alittle research about this stuff and i still have a lot of research to do and that right helped me out a lot.but do you really think the nova's can go past 2014 or 2015 without being retired ?

If the past history of the TMC's are any indication of possibility, then yes it's possible. The TMC's had a mid-life in 2001-2002 and were retired in 2008, so that bought them six more years of life. I can see them retired around 2019(18th year of life).

• 8 months later...

Speaking of Novas, it's interesting to see that North Park and 74th doesn't have the 49 crowded with them now. There's maybe like two on that route at present, both from 74th. As a matter of fact, for about the past week at least, I've been seeing mostly 1000s on this route at hours that it was previously heavy with Novas. The Novas from each of those garages appear to have been getting more evenly spread among their assigned routes, similar to how 103rd has for the past month and a half stopped crowding the 6 with artics in favor of spreading what artics don't get used on Jeffery to other routes like a couple more used on the 26 and X28 for instance.

Speaking of Novas, it's interesting to see that North Park and 74th doesn't have the 49 crowded with them now. There's maybe like two on that route at present, both from 74th. As a matter of fact, for about the past week at least, I've been seeing mostly 1000s on this route at hours that it was previously heavy with Novas.

Maybe the traffic signal preemption trial is over.

Maybe the traffic signal preemption trial is over.

That was my thought too, but then I thought I remembered someone saying that that had already been over but for whatever reason the 49 was still heavy with Novas before what's been happening now with them on this route.

That was my thought too, but then I thought I remembered someone saying that that had already been over but for whatever reason the 49 was still heavy with Novas before what's been happening now with them on this route.

I think it was just coincidence. When I ride Western they are always Nova heavy especially the NP assigned ones. I expect 74th to have a heavy Nova allotment since they have more Novas, but it is rare to see Novas on any of the downtown NP routes, even on Broadway and Clark.

I'm usually on Western most later days, I always barely see Nova's on 49 like after 10pm at night which It's a bit shocking to me, I miss it when it was only Nova's running as night cars. Now, I been seeing couple Nova's running later than 12am (Including last night) on 9-Ashland, 55-Garfield mostly than on 49.

I'm usually on Western most later days, I always barely see Nova's on 49 like after 10pm at night which It's a bit shocking to me, I miss it when it was only Nova's running as night cars. Now, I been seeing couple Nova's running later than 12am (Including last night) on 9-Ashland, 55-Garfield mostly than on 49.

My point is in recent days, Novas are now more scarce on the 49 during the day hours as well not just during the at least year long overnight practice.

I think it was just coincidence. When I ride Western they are always Nova heavy especially the NP assigned ones. I expect 74th to have a heavy Nova allotment since they have more Novas, but it is rare to see Novas on any of the downtown NP routes, even on Broadway and Clark.

This has been at least a week I've noticed this. Western has not been Nova heavy for at least that long when I observed it, both from riding it and physical or Bustracker observations, at hours you expect it to be Nova heavy. I had been seeing North Park use more 1000s in place of Novas before that with their Novas being seen more on the 36, non-school tripper runs of the 93 here and there, the 151 and the 155 on occasion. Up to this past now almost week and a half at least, the 49 was still Nova heavy because of 74th. But now it seems 74th is spreading the Novas out more than already had been outside the 49.

There's been a lack of Novas on night routes everywhere. It's been noticed in another thread. It's probably for accessibility (Highly visible signs) or to keep the older equipment in as much as possible