Englewood flyover

artthouwill

• 3 years later...

I'm guessing that the flyover is completed. Some shots of two Metra outbound trains on the flyover and a shot of a Norfolk Southern train going under it earlier today.

Now if they would build one just east of Western on the UP West Line, it would make commuting, especially the reverse rush commutes a lot faster.

I'm guessing that the flyover is completed. Some shots of two Metra outbound trains on the flyover and a shot of a Norfolk Southern train going under it earlier today.

Metra budget said it was:

In October 2014, the Englewood Flyover, also known as CREATE Project P1, was placed into service on the Rock Island Line. The flyover, a $141 million project, raised the existing Metra Rock Island Line tracks by approximately 29 feet over a 1.59-mile-long span. The project, which was funded in part through an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) High Speed Rail grant, provides safer and more efficient rail transportation by eliminating a junction where tracks used by Metra, the Norfolk Southern and Amtrak crossed near the intersection of 63rd and State Streets in Chicago. Prior to the construction of the flyover, 78 Rock Island trains and approximately 60 freight and Amtrak trains used this junction daily, resulting in capacity and operational problems. In addition to current Amtrak service, train service on four high-speed rail corridors is proposed to pass through this location as part of the Midwest Regional Rail System. When this plan is fully implemented, passenger rail service will be dramatically increased and trip times significantly decreased. Chicago will serve as the hub of the system.

Now if they would build one just east of Western on the UP West Line, it would make commuting, especially the reverse rush commutes a lot faster.

Would have to be part of CREATE, the theory being that it unsnarls freight traffic, while aiding passenger. While it seems counterintuitive that the Milw lines have to cross over the UPW, this doesn't seem to hold up service, and the scheduling is pretty much under Metra's control. The freight traffic has pretty much already been diverted to the Melrose Park area. Also, nobody is giving out ARRA grants these days.

Metra budget said it was:

In October 2014, the Englewood Flyover, also known as CREATE Project P1, was placed into service on the Rock Island Line. The flyover, a $141 million project, raised the existing Metra Rock Island Line tracks by approximately 29 feet over a 1.59-mile-long span. The project, which was funded in part through an American Recovery and Reinvestment Act (ARRA) High Speed Rail grant, provides safer and more efficient rail transportation by eliminating a junction where tracks used by Metra, the Norfolk Southern and Amtrak crossed near the intersection of 63rd and State Streets in Chicago. Prior to the construction of the flyover, 78 Rock Island trains and approximately 60 freight and Amtrak trains used this junction daily, resulting in capacity and operational problems. In addition to current Amtrak service, train service on four high-speed rail corridors is proposed to pass through this location as part of the Midwest Regional Rail System. When this plan is fully implemented, passenger rail service will be dramatically increased and trip times significantly decreased. Chicago will serve as the hub of the system.

Would have to be part of CREATE, the theory being that it unsnarls freight traffic, while aiding passenger. While it seems counterintuitive that the Milw lines have to cross over the UPW, this doesn't seem to hold up service, and the scheduling is pretty much under Metra's control. The freight traffic has pretty much already been diverted to the Melrose Park area. Also, nobody is giving out ARRA grants these days.

Ditto! Thanks! I think adding some express trains on weekends would be nice. For many years I don't understand why they have one express train to New Lenox departs at 4:57 PM while every other trains departure times ends with a "0" and "5".

Ditto! Thanks! I think adding some express trains on weekends would be nice. For many years I don't understand why they have one express train to New Lenox departs at 4:57 PM while every other trains departure times ends with a "0" and "5".

Probably avoiding some freight train conflict.

A related project noted in some of the press releases is the 75th St. Corridor. The site notes that the Metra SWS is squeezed in this area, and there are indications that they want to reroute it to the RI tracks. The other thing relevant here is that it says that the 71st and Bell crossing is usually blocked, which explains why the 94 S. California bus goes up to 69th.

I have to disagree, as I've been on inbound afternoon rush trains from both the MILW West & North Lines.

They have to sit & sit for outbound UP West trains & even some inbound empties from the Western Ave. coach yard.

Metra gives outbound total priority at the junction

I have to disagree, as I've been on inbound afternoon rush trains from both the MILW West & North Lines.

They have to sit & sit for outbound UP West trains & even some inbound empties from the Western Ave. coach yard.

Metra gives outbound total priority at the junction

Nothing surprising about that.