CTA Rail Service Alerts

sw4400

Boarding Change, Delays Between Rosemont and Harlem (O'Hare branch)

Route(s): Blue Line

Length: Friday, September 20, 2013 - 10:00 PM
to Saturday, September 21, 2013 - 5:00 AM
Impact Level:

Planned Work

icon_nopredictions_13x13.gifAffects Train Tracker prediction availability
(What's this?)

Full Description:

How does this affect my trip?
Board/exit all trains on the O’Hare-bound side of the platform at the Cumberland station.
Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Rosemont and Harlem (O’Hare branch) stations, resulting in minor delays.

Allow extra travel time.
Why is service being changed?

Service is affected due to construction work on the Cumberland Avenue Bridge.

• Upvote 1

Boarding Change, Delays Between Racine and Jackson

Route(s): Blue Line

Length: Sunday, September 22, 2013 - 10:00 PM
to Monday, September 23, 2013 - 4:00 AM
Impact Level:

Planned Work

icon_nopredictions_13x13.gifAffects Train Tracker prediction availability
(What's this?)

Full Description:

How does this affect my trip?
Board/exit all trains on the Forest Park-bound side of the platform UIC-Halsted, Clinton, and LaSalle stations.
Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Racine and Jackson, resulting in minor delays.

Allow extra travel time.
Why is service being changed?
Service is affected due to construction work on the Morgan Street overpass.
  • Upvote 1

9/21/13 3:51p

Upcoming Alert for 9/22/13 @ 6a until 6p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Blue

Level Of Service Impact: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same trace between Damen and Clark/Lake. Board/Exit all trains on the O-Hare-bound side of the platform at the Division, Chicago and Grand stations.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely on the Blue Line.

9/21/13 3:56p

Upcoming Alert for 9/22/13 @ 5a until 7p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Brown

Level of Service Impact: Minor Delays

Information: Trains will operate on the same track in both directions between Sedgwick and Fullerton.

• 5a-11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station
  • 11:30a-7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

9/21/13 4:03p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Purple

Level of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Central and Davis. Board/Exit all trains on the Linden-bound side of the platform at the Noyes and Foster stations.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely on the Purple Line.

9/27/13 4:44p

Upcoming Alert For 9/28/13 @ 4a until 9/29/13 @ 10p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Orange, Pink

Level Of Service Interruption: --

Information: Orange and Pink Line trains will operate counterclockwise(Brown) on the Outer Loop. Board/Exit all Orange and Pink Line trains on the Brown Line platforms at all Loop stations.

• Orange Line: The first stop on the Loop will be Adams/Wabash and the last stop on the Loop will be Harold Washington Library-State/Van Buren.
  • Pink Line: The first stop on the Loop will be Washington/Wells and the last stop on the Loop will be Clark/Lake(transfer to Blue Line Subway)

This is due to track improvements to prevent slow zones and improve rail service on the Loop Elevated.

Service Interruption Update: Service has resumed to normal with early completion of planned work. Orange and Pink Line trains will operate on their normal route(s) on the Loop Elevated for the remainder of the weekend...

9/27/13 4:58p

Upcoming Alert for 9/28/13 @ 7a until 9/29/13 @ 9p

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Central and Davis. Board/Exit all trains on the Linden-bound side of the platform at the Noyes and Foster stations.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Purple Line.

9/28/13 8:43p

Upcoming Alert For 9/29/13 @ 5a until 7p

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Sedgwick and Fullerton.

• 5a-11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station.
  • 11:30a-7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station.

This is due to structural improvements to remove slow zones and improve rail service on the Brown Line as part of the Ravenswood Connector Rehabilitation Project.

9/30/13 6:50p

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays

Information: Forest Park-bound Blue Line trains are not stopping at Harlem due to an incident involving a train. Service has resumed to Forest Park. Service has since resumed, but some trains may only be operating as far west as Oak Park. Sporadic delays may occur throughout the affected area, affecting Blue Line service.

Trains in both directions are operating on a single track between Harlem and Forest Park, resulting in delays affecting all Blue Line service.To alleviate congestion throughout the single track area and to provide additional capacity across the busiest parts of the Blue Line, some trains will only operate between O-Hare and UIC-Halsted or O-Hare and Oak Park only. Rail Operators will make on-board announcements to indicate where trains will end their trips.

Alternate Option(s): Shuttle Buses are in place between Harlem/Harrison and Oak Park stations.

Service has been affected due to a runaway train hitting another train near Harlem Avenue along the Blue Line(Story)

On a related note to the really smashed up railcar pair(3177-3178), I think given the age of the units, they're more likely than not retired.

9/30/13 3:21p

Level Of Service Interruption: Minor Days

Information: Forest Park-bound Blue Line trains are not stopping at Harlem due to an incident involving a train. Service has resumed to Forest Park.

Service has been affected due to a runaway train hitting another train near Harlem Avenue along the Blue Line(Story)

On a related note to the really smashed up railcar pair(3177-3178), I think given the age of the units, they're more likely than not retired.

Aren't you a bit late on this (Kevin posted it at 8 a.m.)?

Aren't you a bit late on this (Kevin posted it at 8 a.m.)?

Well it still is/was an active alert when I checked transitchicago.com at the time I posted it, although it wasn't as severe of an alert at the time.

As far as me being a bit late... I was working the very early shift and was at work throughout the time that the crash occurred(I actually saw a picture and article about it on my mobile web providers' internet page. Unfortunately, I can't be tinkering with a cell phone on the job.

• Upvote 2

Well it still is/was an active alert when I checked transitchicago.com at the time I posted it, although it wasn't as severe of an alert at the time.

As far as me being a bit late... I was working the very early shift and was at work throughout the time that the crash occurred(I actually saw a picture and article about it on my mobile web providers' internet page. Unfortunately, I can't be tinkering with a cell phone on the job.

Keeping your job is more important than trying to tinker on your phone to post an alert while you're still on the clock. I think there's room for us to not be so cynical as I've been seeing the tide turn on the forum so often this year.

• Upvote 3

10/5/13 1:01a

Upcoming Alert For 10/5/13 @ 7a until 5p

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Kedzie and Ashland. Board/Exit all trains on the Harlem/Lake-bound platform at the California station.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Green Line.

10/5/13 1:05a

Upcoming Alert For 10/5/13 @ 7a until 5p

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on a single track between Central and Davis. Board/Exit all trains on the Linden-bound side of the platform at the Noyes and Foster stations.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely on the Purple Line.

10/6/13 12:42a

Upcoming Alert For 10/6/13 @ 5a until 7p

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Sedgwick and Fullerton.

• 5a-11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station
  • 11:30a-7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station

10/6/13 12:48a

Upcoming Alert For 10/6/13 @ 7a until 10/7/13 @ 4a

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Davis and Central. Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound side of the platform at the Foster and Noyes stations.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Purple Line.

10/16/13 11:32a

Level Of Service Interruption: Significant Delays w/ Reroute

Information: Brown Line service has been temporarily disrupted between Merchandise Mart and the Loop Elevated due to an extended bridge lift.

Shuttle Buses are in place and available as an alternate to affected rail service.

Raising and lowering of the Wells St. Bridge might take longer due to continuing construction as part of the Dept. Of Transportation's Bridge Renewal Project.

10/18/13 11:16a

***Special Announcement***

Rail Line(s) Affected: Red

Information: Efffective October 20, 2013 @ 12a, Red Line trains will resume normal operations between Howard and 95th/Dan Ryan running via the Dan Ryan branch between Roosevelt and 95th. Garfield, 63rd, and 87th stations are now accessible to customers with disabilities. Service on the Red Line via the South Side Elevated to Ashland/63rd will be discontinued. The following Shuttle Bus service used during the shutdown will also be discontinued at this time...

• R22: Cermak-Roosevelt Express
  • R39: Pershing Shuttle
  • R55: Dan Ryan Owl Shuttle
  • R63: Dan Ryan Local Shuttle
  • R69: 69th-Garfield Express
  • R79: 79th-Garfield Express
  • R87: 87th-Garfield Express
  • R95: 95th-Garfield Express

Story

10/18/13 11:31a

***Special Announcement***

Rail Line(s) Affected: Green

Information: Green Line trains will resume their normal service between Harlem/Lake and 63rd Street, alternating between the Ashland/63rd and Cottage Grove terminals. Red Line trains will no longer operate between the Roosevelt and Ashland/63rd stations. They will resume running via the Dan Ryan branch.

Additionally, the free rail service at the Garfield Elevated rail station will be discontinued. Normal fares will apply at the station effective at 12a Sunday, October 20, 2013.

10/20/13 12:10a

Upcoming Alert For 10/20/13 @ 5a until 7p

• 5a-11:30a: Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Armitage station.
  • 11:30a-7p: Board/Exit all trains on the Kimball-bound platform at the Armitage station.

10/23/13 4:03p

Rail Line Affected:Brown

Level of Service Interruption:Significant Delays

Information:

Brown Line trains are experiencing delays between Armitage and the
Merchandise Mart, due to track switching problems. Shuttle bus service
is available between the affected area.

Personnel are working to restore service. Allow extra travel time.

• Upvote 1

10/25/13 11:36a

Upcoming Alert For 10/26/13 @ 7a until 7p

Service Interruption Severity: Minor Delays

Information: Trains in both directions will operate on the same track between Addison and Western. Board/Exit all trains on the Loop-bound platform at the Irving Park, Montrose, and Damen stations.

This is due to track maintenance to ensure that trains continue to operate safely along the Brown Line.