CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

12 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

Yes, in fact the arrow comes on when the pedestrian light ends, but drivers will still use a green light with no arrow to turn so I'm lost on that one.

The green light with no arrow means drivers must yield to pedestrians before turning right. Green arrow means cars have the right-of-way and no pedestrians should be in the crosswalk. I'm thinking the purpose is to clear cars out of the right turn lane so buses can be first in line when the queue jump signal comes on. Also possible, there are enough right turns or pedestrians at that intersection, that not including the protected right turn would cause a traffic jam.

45 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

The green light with no arrow means drivers must yield to pedestrians before turning right. Green arrow means cars have the right-of-way and no pedestrians should be in the crosswalk. I'm thinking the purpose is to clear cars out of the right turn lane so buses can be first in line when the queue jump signal comes on. Also possible, there are enough right turns or pedestrians at that intersection, that not including the protected right turn would cause a traffic jam.

the green remains lit along with the green arrow, plus what does that do for the bicyclists the whole street is green at the same time. Dearborn seem better coordinated as bikes have their own light.

4 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

the green remains lit along with the green arrow, plus what does that do for the bicyclists the whole street is green at the same time. Dearborn seem better coordinated as bikes have their own light.

Bicyclists in the protected bike lane would have to yield to vehicles turning right across their lane. I agree that not having a bike signal like on Dearborn could cause confusion.

The green arrow has the same meaning whether the main light is red or green.

11 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Bicyclists in the protected bike lane would have to yield to vehicles turning right across their lane. I agree that not having a bike signal like on Dearborn could cause confusion.

The green arrow has the same meaning whether the main light is red or green.

it's main function seems to be to clear the intersection for a queue jump. So I guess that's why it's being done. The left one at Wells wouldn't be for that as the buses are on the right not left. Those overhead signals not yet working that we see must be the queue jump signals but at clark/wash 3 or the 4 signals are working, only the far right one isn't, maybe it's a bike light.

2 hours ago, Pace831 said:

Bicyclists in the protected bike lane would have to yield to vehicles turning right across their lane.

No, it wouldn't work like that. If vehicles have a designated right turn signal, cyclists will certainly have a designated signal that would be red during the turning phase for vehicles.

@BusHunter What intersection did you say you saw this setup at? Washington/Clark? I'll check it out tomorrow.

31 minutes ago, Kevin said:

No, it wouldn't work like that. If vehicles have a designated right turn signal, cyclists will certainly have a designated signal that would be red during the turning phase for vehicles.

@BusHunter What intersection did you say you saw this setup at? Washington/Clark? I'll check it out tomorrow.

But according to BusHunter, there is no designated signal (yet). I guess cyclists are supposed to treat that as a red light, but I'm sure most will treat it as if it were a yield sign.

Am I understanding this setup correctly:

looplink.thumb.png.4561032a35a3abd0403bd

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Yes, in fact the arrow comes on when the pedestrian light ends, but drivers will still use a green light with no arrow to turn so I'm lost on that one.

What's so confusing about that? If there's no arrow, drivers would have to be more diligent in watching for pedestrians as they turn. If there is an arrow then there should be no one crossing their paths during their turns. But I'll agree with you that they need to clean up the signal cycle a bit more because without the arrows you're going to have cars piling up at the intersection waiting for pedestrians to clear so they can turn if current pedestrian traffic through downtown intersections on simultaneous green lights and walk signals during the day is any indication. 

4 hours ago, Kevin said:

So far I don't see a bike signal, but there might be one at clark/Wash. Remember how they have the 4 overhead lights there. There is that one on the far right by the sidewalk that's not working yet. The rest they got working. The second to the right is the right turn signal. Signals like at Franklin/Madison just have 4 lights stacked together vertically or an extra light attached to a standard traffic signal. I don't see nothing for the bikes. Probably it would have been smarter to have a red bike signal when the green arrow lights, but there is no bike light as of yet. I don't even see a queue jump at Franklin/madison, but there is one at wells/madison, but I don't know if the loop elevated structure blocks it off though. It raised on a pole over the traffic and I've only seen it of foot so far.

BTW, I saw a advertising card on bus #6727 for Loop Link. It says on there CTA welcomes you to the arrival of Loop Link. I was like really!! :D It looks very similar to the advertising in the JC Decaux advertising sign on the Lasalle/Washington Loop Link platform. So it must not be too far off.

18 minutes ago, BusHunter said:

So far I don't see a bike signal, but there might be one at clark/Wash. Remember how they have the 4 overhead lights there. There is that one on the far right by the sidewalk that's not working yet. The rest they got working. The second to the right is the right turn signal. Signals like at Franklin/Madison just have 4 lights stacked together vertically or an extra light attached to a standard traffic signal. I don't see nothing for the bikes. 

The right-most signal at Washington/Clark will undoubtedly be a bike signal. There is no bike lane on Madison, so signal phases may differ on that street. 

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Kevin said:

The right-most signal at Washington/Clark will undoubtedly be a bike signal. There is no bike lane on Madison, so signal phases may differ on that street. 

Ah that's what I missed. Yeah your right about Madison it's going to Randolph. Now i'll have to look at Washington more closely, cause they only have that one overhead queue light at Lasalle/Washington for instance. Could be no right turns are permitted there cause the stations right there. Franklin would work in that regard as it's nb only. I need to look at Washington/Wells though.

11 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Now i'll have to look at Washington more closely, cause they only have that one overhead queue light at Lasalle/Washington for instance. Could be no right turns are permitted there cause the stations right there.

Correct, right turns are now prohibited from Washington onto LaSalle, not that it's stopping a lot of drivers from doing it anyways for now. 

Washington/Clark employs a protected, lagging (at end of the cycle) right turn phase, similar to Dearborn. Drivers will have a red arrow while pedestrians (and, eventually, cyclists) have a green:

IMG_0989.thumb.jpg.b26c4d44f81ec402d87df

At the end of the cycle, drivers will get a green arrow while pedestrians and cyclists get a red signal. Through-traffic will continue to have a green light during this phase, while pedestrians on the north side of the intersection will also still be able to cross.

IMG_0980.thumb.jpg.c9237d164c740bc99724e

• Upvote 2

49 minutes ago, Juniorz said:

Looks like  Washington /LaSalle will be the only station ready at launch. I am really forward  to the Looplink! 

Kind of wish the cta and cdot would wait until 2016, when all the stations are complete, but a 2015 start date was promised. 

If they worked hard this week, they could probably get all of the Washington stations finished. The Madison ones are another story. 

On 12/11/2015 at 9:44 PM, Tcmetro said:

New info on CTA's webpage.

J14 will run on Washington instead of Monroe. 

Madison/Wabash and the Canal bus lane will not open until next year. 

http://www.transitchicago.com/looplink/

By that same map, one should also note that should also mean that eastbound 124 also returns to Washington instead of using Wacker. Looks like the Randolph bike lanes also won't be open until next year.

5 minutes ago, jajuan said:

By that same map, one should also note that should also mean that eastbound 124 also returns to Washington instead of using Wacker. Looks like the Randolph bike lanes also won't be open until next year.

I was wondering what the alert about 124 was about, as the Circulator part was supposed to be all about 124.

11 minutes ago, Busjack said:

I was wondering what the alert about 124 was about, as the Circulator part was supposed to be all about 124.

So was I until I took another look at the Loop Link map Tcmetro linked from CTA's website and noticed that 124 was shown placed back on Washington like J14. I had already taken a guess that the alert for J14 was Loop Link related. And you are right that the Circulator part shown in early documentation before the project got an official name was supposed to be about 124. I remember noticing that the route structure for the Circulator matched that of 124 prior to Wacker alignment. The advanced timetable links are now working by the way. I don't see one for 124 now though. 

14 hours ago, Kevin said:

Correct, rigstt turns are now proh asbitedstfrom Washington onto LaSalle, not that it's stopping a lot of drivers from doing it anyways for now. 

Washington/Clark employs a protected, lagging (at end of the cycle) right turn phase, similar to Dearborn. Drivers will have a red arrow while pedestrians (and, eventually, cyclists) have a green:

IMG_0989.thumb.jpg.b26c4d44f81ec402d87df

At the end of the cycle, drivers will get a green arrow while pedestrians and cyclists get a red signal. Through-traffic will continue to have a green light during this phase, while pedestrians on the north side of the intersection will also still be able to cross.

IMG_0980.thumb.jpg.c9237d164c740bc99724e

I just noticed something that I saw at clark/wash. They have a sign and it says that there are only right turns on the green arrow. So far it's the only sign down there like that. 

As far as getting finished with the project the glass crew is installing the glass canopies at dearborn so they might get done this week between dearborn and state. The compass rose is in at Franklin/Wash so that stop looks virtually done except for signage. On the other hand Madison/State is the most behind, they even have yellow tape going around the platform, I guess so no one falls off it. Alot of fences have been removed now but the State/Madison ones are still up for the most part.