CTA Bus Rapid Transit (take two)

BusHunter

The tribune has a nice story about the Loop Link. They claim it's scheduled to open next month. They did a dry run of buses traveling through the stations and had an issue with the artics, so they are repairing that. They also talk about last weeks art work. :P

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/columnists/ct-cta-loop-link-getting-around-met-1109-20151108-column.html

If you are having trouble reading the article on a PC due to a paywall, (I did) try to read it on an Android device. I read the whole article on my phone. An apple device may have similar results as an Android. It's also in today's paper so you can buy the paper or read it on the cheap. Redeye may have a condensed version of the article too.

Red Eye does not have a condensed copy of it. Last couple of months they have tried to avoid putting news into the Red Eye!

Under the canopy. The railings are only along the approaches to it.

What is going to be in the area with the railing on three sides, seen in the first picture?

That's a good question. I'm unclear why this extra space exists.

That looks like a protected ADA ramp (or at least a protected wheelchair turnaround). I assumed, when asking my question, that the bus wasn't going to stop there.

That looks like a protected ADA ramp (or at least a protected wheelchair turnaround). I assumed, when asking my question, that the bus wasn't going to stop there.

I don't see why a wheelchair turnaround would be necessary. The area has three poles in front of it, which I first assumed were to protect passengers from a car hitting them. But now that I look closer, they look like the bases of some structure. Maybe for a shelter over a Ventra machine? I don't see anything in the renderings that shows this area.

I don't see why a wheelchair turnaround would be necessary. The area has three poles in front of it, which I first assumed were to protect passengers from a car hitting them. But now that I look closer, they look like the bases of some structure. Maybe for a shelter over a Ventra machine? I don't see anything in the renderings that shows this area.

Depends on the purpose of the poles. I took them just as being barriers keeping a motor vehicle from crashing into the platform, causing all sorts of mayhem. It may depend on what's in the shrink wrap in front of them.Again, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

Depends on the purpose of the poles. I took them just as being barriers keeping a motor vehicle from crashing into the platform, causing all sorts of mayhem. It may depend on what's in the shrink wrap in front of them.Again, I guess we'll have to wait and see.

They may be designed to stop a vehicle, but I don't think that's their only purpose. They are open on top, have wires sticking out, and look like they are made for something to go on top of them. A traffic barrier doesn't need any of those features.

They may be designed to stop a vehicle, but I don't think that's their only purpose. They are open on top, have wires sticking out, and look like they are made for something to go on top of them. A traffic barrier doesn't need any of those features.

I've been thinking lights, but couldn't confirm in the renderings. 

• 2 weeks later...

I was checking this out last night, they finished the flooring of the washington/lasalle station and they appear to have tactile edging all along the platforms edge, but it seems like it's the city's sidewalk red ones not blue. The stations almost appear done except for the glass. The fences seem to be disappearing and construction horses are being assembled for pick up. They look like they are cleaning up, they had a water truck last night over by the Madison/State stop. Too bad they couldn't be finished for thanksgiving, those roads will need the space for all that extra traffic.

That was my impression as well, though I was thinking along the lines of it possibly being an auxiliary ADA entrance/exit for the main station platform seen a tad further up the block. 

Edited by jajuan

• 2 weeks later...

I took a look at loop link to see how it's coming. All the flooring in the stations seem to be installed now except for Madison/State. they had a pallet of glass show up last week and this week they have started installing the glass roofs. The station roof at Washington/Lasalle is completed and they put four pieces in at Washington/Franklin. The roofs look tinted. They have installed more traffic lights at the Canal/Monroe intersection. It now has 4 overhead lights two working two not. As the non working ones are over the left side of Canal I can't imagine what they would be for. Some stops seem to be moving around like now there's a stop at Washington/Clinton SB far side, when before it was near side. Maybe they wanted to incorporate a stop for the #60's there which don't stop there. The sb #J14 stop there seems to not have moved so far unless they are making them stop on both sides of the intersection.

I had a little laugh at the Washington/Franklin stop, because that stop is positioned on a hill, the stop gets higher the more to the west you go. Well the bench is not adjusted for hills it's straight, so if you sit at the east end you're ok but if you sit at the west end the bench is so low, it's like half the height, it looks almost like you're sitting on the curb. :P oops!! xD

8 hours ago, BusHunter said:

Some stops seem to be moving around like now there's a stop at Washington/Clinton SB far side, when before it was near side. Maybe they wanted to incorporate a stop for the #60's there which don't stop there.

I'm not sure where you are going with this, as 60 now goes WB on Madison, and the maps for the Loop Link also has it WB on Madison to Clinton. That presentation doesn't show stops on Clinton or Canal, though. Only routes that seem to go by there are J14 and 125 (map).

Photo update of Washington/LaSalle.

IMG_0796.thumb.jpg.16fe170cab934d10efc99

Platform tile installation complete.

IMG_0791.thumb.jpg.0ee1c9f924972082547b2

Station identifier and completed bollards.

IMG_0813.thumb.jpg.14662e8993116b8366a14

Rear glass panel installation progress.

IMG_0810.thumb.jpg.1f31c6865925934d21561

Mid-block station entrance.

IMG_0808.thumb.jpg.2435e3c3673d444f96572

Canopy glass installation progress.

One concern is that contractors are continuing to apply thermoplastic pavement markings despite the colder temperatures. Thermoplastic has a tendency to not properly bond to pavement if air temperatures have been below 50°F. CDOT got bit with this a few years ago, when many late-season pavement markings were largely gone by the following spring.

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Station identifier and completed bollards.

So does this demonstrate that they are complete and all that is intended are bumping posts?

11 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Canopy glass installation progress.

Is this perspective correct enough that all there is is boarding and alighting space for 1 or two buses? If routes 20 and 56 have already pulled in, do those waiting for 157 stand unprotected on the ramp in the elements?

2 hours ago, Busjack said:

So does this demonstrate that they are complete and all that is intended are bumping posts?

Guess that answers the question about the bollards. I assume the ring around them will be illuminated (not just reflectors) because of the earlier photo that showed the wires sticking out. I still can't imagine what the extra space at the bottom of the ramp is for, other than maybe overflow waiting area in case of crowding.

IMG_0851.thumb.jpg.3cd79f83bb1965b6c8422

Bollards are lit.

IMG_0852.thumb.jpg.2948140a7ab2cd93e37ca

Covered signage installed on the signal arms.

IMG_0861.thumb.jpg.97ca53a02ee8bb7280032

All remaining bike and bus pavement markings appear to have been installed, including "CTA BUS ONLY" markings. The latest batch was done with paint, rather than thermoplastic. As I previously noted, thermoplastic applied at this temperature has a high chance of failure.

On 2 December 2015 at 2:27:48 PM, Busjack said:

Is this perspective correct enough that all there is is boarding and alighting space for 1 or two buses? If routes 20 and 56 have already pulled in, do those waiting for 157 stand unprotected on the ramp in the elements?

Here's a picture with a bus in the frame to provide a bit of context:

IMG_0864.thumb.jpg.a5b97cedf174c4c782e88

You can easily fit two 40-footers or one 40-footer and an artic. Two artics might be a bit tight. Just like a train, drivers will need to make sure that at least their rear doors are fully berthed into the station. The railing and higher curb at the ramp would otherwise preclude rear door access. It should be interesting to see how this all functions during rush hour. I wonder how much CDOT is counting on eventual pre-paid and all-door boarding to speed buses through the stations.

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Kevin said:

Just like a train, drivers will need to make sure that at least their rear doors are fully berthed into the station. The railing and higher curb at the ramp would otherwise preclude rear door access. It should be interesting to see how this all functions during rush hour. I wonder how much CDOT is counting on eventual pre-paid and all-door boarding to speed buses through the stations.

I really wonder if the maybe 80 foot berthing area is going to work, as they must really think bus bunching is not going to occur. Also, I wonder about prepaid if there is nothing preventing crossing over from Dunkin Donuts. On the other hand, the long areas within the rails seems like overkill, and I bet some of the railings get removed.

On 12/2/2015 at 2:14 PM, Kevin said:

One concern is that contractors are continuing to apply thermoplastic pavement markings despite the colder temperatures. Thermoplastic has a tendency to not properly bond to pavement if air temperatures have been below 50°F. CDOT got bit with this a few years ago, when many late-season pavement markings were largely gone by the following spring.

Two years ago, Peoples Gas repaved parts of Clark St. in Rogers Park in December & had thermoplastic laid down at all the crosswalks in 20 degree weather. The markings lasted just a few weeks.

1 hour ago, Kevin said:

Lane signage unveiled and cars are now being directed to use the designated right turn lanes.

IMG_0879.thumb.jpg.5610216f2dedad8017c5e

That sign "CTA BUSES RIGHT TURNS" could be worded better, like "CTA BUSES OR VEHICLES TURNING RIGHT ONLY". When I first read it sounded like a warning that buses may be turning right in front of you.

Are the flashers there to indicate whether a bus is stopped at the station ahead? Also, are there no regular traffic signals above the street, just the ones on either side? It seems a little unsafe because someone unfamiliar with the area may not notice the side signals, since instinct is to look up where the sign is. I checked the MUTCD (scroll down to section 4D.11) which recommends (not requires) that one signal per lane be placed over the road on the far side of the intersection. The only requirement is that there be two primary signals - in this case, one on each side. Are there any other signals that I can't see in your photos?

2 minutes ago, Pace831 said:

Are the flashers there to indicate whether a bus is stopped at the station ahead? Also, are there no regular traffic signals above the street, just the ones on either side? It seems a little unsafe because someone unfamiliar with the area may not notice the side signals, since instinct is to look up where the sign is. I checked the MUTCD (scroll down to section 4D.11) which recommends (not requires) that one signal per lane be placed over the road on the far side of the intersection. The only requirement is that there be two primary signals - in this case, one on each side. Are there any other signals that I can't see in your photos?

The "flashers" you're referring to are most likely bus signals which will give buses an advanced green to proceed through the intersection. This will help to prevent conflicts as vehicles are allowed to cross the bus lane to access the right turn lane. 

Signals arms are rare in the Loop, with intersections typically having only side signals. There's another signal for cars on the north end of the intersection which is not visible in the previous photo.