5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

Saw an 8 car out of service consist traveling around the inner loop today heading from Washington/Wells to Clark/Lake. The only in service route that would be doing that is the Orange Line. One of the cars in the consist was 5321.

One would assume that at some point, there has to be a transfer of cars between the 63-Loomis or 61st yard and the 98th St. yard. Not sure what route would be used to do that, but circling the Loop would seem easier than backing up at 13th and State.

Maybe the intent was to use the just reconstructed 18th St-Dan Ryan ramp from the Orange Line.

Saw an 8 car out of service consist traveling around the inner loop today heading from Washington/Wells to Clark/Lake. The only in service route that would be doing that is the Orange Line. One of the cars in the consist was 5321.

This might've had something to do with the Well St. Bridge lift this morning perhaps. Just speculation...

I believe the Green Line uses that bridge to some extent. There was no reported delays on the Green Line, however.

I believe the Green Line uses that bridge to some extent. There was no reported delays on the Green Line, however.

No, only the Brown Line and Purple Line (express periods) do.

Green Line only uses the Lake St. Bridge, west of Wacker. Same for Pink.

5326 has been wrapped to promote the reopening of the Red Line South

So, name the politician and try not to upchuck.

Photoshop, or was Durbin both there and in DC voting on the debt ceiling bill at the same time? Or was it someone else next to Emanuel (center)?

So, name the politician and try not to upchuck.

Photoshop, or was Durbin both there and in DC voting on the debt ceiling bill at the same time? Or was it someone else next to Emanuel (center)?

It was Durbin. Must've flown back last night or this morning.

I also noticed the lack of Claypool. Interesting.

Saw 5155-56 on the Yellow Line again this morning. Is this car set just loaned from the Red Line from time to time or is this going to end up being a permanent assignment?

Only time will tell, jajuan.... the Yellow Line only needs six cars, so if they went all 5000's they wouldn't need many. I don't think the CTA will ever assign more than six to this line unless they do some extension branch going further north or perhaps west of Skokie.

I posed that question because we had reports and photo evidence of that car set and other sets from the 5150s being used on the Yellow going back since last month and due to them being used again on the Red Line after that some said understandably that they were loans. I'm just finding it interesting that they're going to the same exact car sets out what's maybe close to 200 available cars just for them to be loans.

I don't think we'll be seeing #5159-60 on the yellow line anymore. As long as #5153-54 stays off the green line. They look to be trying to get as many #5000's as they can for the ryan opening.I'd be surprised if sunday they didn't run all #5000's on the red line. Btw, I was at racine yard the other day and was kind of surprised they were only storing #2600's there. Last night after the press conference they started tearing down the 63rd/ashland signs at the stations. I think the only place that you can find those words now on a red background is on the rollsigns themselves. As far asthe first 95th train i'll see if I can get a time tomorrow. It seems to be a big secret up until now. Even some supervisors don't know the time.