5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

And your thoughts?

Related: Chicago-L.org has photos of #5275.

I haven't rode them, but I like the appearance of them. The blue is different, light-toned, and brightens the car a bit, IMO. Kinda like 1630-2029 did with the blue LED lighting. I hope they stick with it through the rest of the 5000-Series order and perhaps continue it with the 7000-Series, which is expected to begin rolling onto CTA property sometime in 2016 according to data on Chicago-l.org.

I haven't rode them, but I like the appearance of them. The blue is different, light-toned, and brightens the car a bit, IMO. Kinda like 1630-2029 did with the blue LED lighting. I hope they stick with it through the rest of the 5000-Series order and perhaps continue it with the 7000-Series, which is expected to begin rolling onto CTA property sometime in 2016 according to data on Chicago-l.org.

The switch to LED lighting on the 5000s (whenever that happens) will also likely have an effect on the appearance of the cars.

I had a chance to ride 5278 on the Red Line earlier this evening. Based on the pictures of the blue interior I have seen, it didn't seem appealing to me, but after finally getting a chance to see it in person, it's not that bad. I took a couple pictures while in the subway, and if you look hard enough in the first picture, you can somewhat make out my face in the window reflection. :P

post-270-0-40128900-1376180331_thumb.jpgpost-270-0-12894000-1376180366_thumb.jpg

I forgot to mention #5293-94 was out on the Red line on Thursday and #5295-96 is out with it today. (separate consists) Skokie Shops got a bunch of #2200's, (at least 6-10 cars) must have been Friday night. It looks funny over there all the storage tracks are full even the ones in front of the garage doors. They have a #5000 on the side and three single cars in waiting either on the flatbeds or on the shop tracks. (one might have been a #2200) So they should have a #5300 on the property.. Those guys are going to be working hard getting all those cars stripped and put into service. Don't ask me how there going to move around though. :lol:

I had a chance to ride 5278 on the Red Line earlier this evening. Based on the pictures of the blue interior I have seen, it didn't seem appealing to me, but after finally getting a chance to see it in person, it's not that bad. I took a couple pictures while in the subway, and if you look hard enough in the first picture, you can somewhat make out my face in the window reflection. :P

attachicon.gif20130810_1543481.jpgattachicon.gif20130810_1544011.jpg

Same here. My initial thoughts based on the first pictures were mixed, but after seeing the cars in person I really like the blue interior. It complements the stainless steel rather well and creates a more harmonious interior that's a lot easier on the eyes. This simple color change is certainly an improvement over the earlier deliveries.

#5297- #5300 are at Howard yard now, close to Howard Shops. Maybe by Monday or the weekend if we're lucky we'll see them in service. (they might put those out for the Air Show we'll see) Skokie Shops has 2 cars ready to go for next week. Maybe they'll get a delivery tomorrow.

Even more #2600's are now running the Purple line, I'd estimate 20-24. A couple more #2400's are on the Red line, I spotted #2409-10, #2495-96. #2515-16 was back on the Purple line so that would explain #2495-96. Earlier in the week I spotted #2573-74 on the Red line so I don't know if those are just being borrowed out or long term changes. #2543-44 has been on the yellow line for two days at least. Today #2475-76 was also on the yellow line, if anyone's interested in seeing #2400's there.

A few construction updates: They are finally putting the steel up to what I'm assuming is the expanded Loyola station unless it's something else on the property, and they are now hammering down plywood over the platform ends at Wilson. I guess either that's a preliminary construction addition or they finally are giving the weak deck there on the ends some reinforcement. At least the platform now is more safe. I did express concern over that here and on CTA tattler.

A few construction updates: They are finally putting the steel up to what I'm assuming is the expanded Loyola station unless it's something else on the property,...

With regard to the steel it depends where it is going. The plans for the station itself is that the entrance was to be redirected to a plaza north of the station, where Loyola U demolished the McDonalds, and some viaduct work. CTA also said that a Loyola Ave. auxiliary entrance would be added to the station. CTA announcement.

It was otherwise announced that Loyola U would be building an apartment building across Loyola Ave. from the plaza.

With regard to the steel it depends where it is going. The plans for the station itself is that the entrance was to be redirected to a plaza north of the station, where Loyola U demolished the McDonalds, and some viaduct work. CTA also said that a Loyola Ave. auxiliary entrance would be added to the station. CTA announcement.

It was otherwise announced that Loyola U would be building an apartment building across Loyola Ave. from the plaza.

This is right next to the north side entrance on Sheridan, right along the sidewalk. It seems further away more in the plaza area than what is depicted in the rendering on your link, close to the bus shelter. Maybe the plans have slightly changed.

I got us some pictures of the Loyola construction and the plywood platforms at "Wood Row Wilson"

post-304-0-75549500-1376794902_thumb.jpgpost-304-0-84940900-1376795027_thumb.jpgpost-304-0-18758200-1376795142_thumb.jpgpost-304-0-43502900-1376795282_thumb.jpgpost-304-0-87986300-1376795556_thumb.jpgpost-304-0-38455300-1376795708_thumb.jpg

• Upvote 1