5000-series - Updates

greenstreet

I think it prevents the wheels from sliding.

Even underground where the track and wheels are dry? I know that the brakes-release-too-much problem happens when the train is too heavy. Almost every morning during rush hour, the problem will happen until Lake, and then at Monroe and Jackson the system works correctly and smoothly stops the train because everybody got off at Lake.

Even underground where the track and wheels are dry? I know that the brakes-release-too-much problem happens when the train is too heavy. Almost every morning during rush hour, the problem will happen until Lake, and then at Monroe and Jackson the system works correctly and smoothly stops the train because everybody got off at Lake.

It's not just the 5000s having that problem. I've been witnessing that happening on the Blue Line. The 3200s are the most stabled railcars in my honest opinion.

It's not just the 5000s having that problem. I've been witnessing that happening on the Blue Line. The 3200s are the most stabled railcars in my honest opinion.

I'm talking about the feature specific to the 5000s (and in a few years the 7000s) where the brakes gradually release as it nears a complete stop. It's noted in the 7000s spec as a "smooth-stop feature to reduce jerk while stopping." If the train is heavily loaded, the brakes release too much and the train sort of "coasts" for a few feet before the brakes apply all the way. Some drivers have been somehow bypassing this, making the stops feel more like the older trains.

I'm talking about the feature specific to the 5000s (and in a few years the 7000s) where the brakes gradually release as it nears a complete stop. It's noted in the 7000s spec as a "smooth-stop feature to reduce jerk while stopping." If the train is heavily loaded, the brakes release too much and the train sort of "coasts" for a few feet before the brakes apply all the way. Some drivers have been somehow bypassing this, making the stops feel more like the older trains.

Oh, I see but I really don't know about that though.

I'm talking about the feature specific to the 5000s (and in a few years the 7000s) where the brakes gradually release as it nears a complete stop. It's noted in the 7000s spec as a "smooth-stop feature to reduce jerk while stopping." If the train is heavily loaded, the brakes release too much and the train sort of "coasts" for a few feet before the brakes apply all the way...

Yeah, I've noticed this too on the Green Line, though I have not payed attention to passenger loads.

They need to place some of the 3200s on the Blue Line especially after their rehabilitation completes and once the Orange Line receives 5000s.

• 2 weeks later...

Also this morning, I saw 5551-5552 (?) very questionable on the car numbers. But I did see a 5000 series pair in Midway yard. Can someone confirm or inform why a 5000 series would be in the yard (ie; repairs, training, etc)? It was in the middle of the yard not sure what track number in the front I guess, closer to 55th street. Would it be too soon or just the right timing that the Orange line will be receiving their sets of 5000s?

Also this morning, I saw 5551-5552 (?) very questionable on the car numbers. But I did see a 5000 series pair in Midway yard. Can someone confirm or inform why a 5000 series would be in the yard (ie; repairs, training, etc)? It was in the middle of the yard not sure what track number in the front I guess, closer to 55th street. Would it be too soon or just the right timing that the Orange line will be receiving their sets of 5000s?

Are you 100% sure on the series? Midway does have a lot of 3200-Series railcars, which are pretty identical to the 5000-Series railcars, and they also have one pair that is outfitted with the LED signage like the Brown Line does.

Are you 100% sure on the series? Midway does have a lot of 3200-Series railcars, which are pretty identical to the 5000-Series railcars, and they also have one pair that is outfitted with the LED signage like the Brown Line does.

Very positive! I can't be sure on the car numbers but I know they weren't 3207-3208 or 3379-3380. I remember seeing 5**1-5**2. I saw them there at 8:05 am. As fast as we were leaving out of Midway I tried to get as much of a photogenic memory of what I saw.

I'm happy to report that 5551 and 5552 are currently present in the Midway yard. They're at the North end of the yard in between a pair of 2600s and another mixed consist of 32s and 26s, but alas, they're there. I saw a couple employees walking around them inspecting the underbody components, maybe for maintenance training. Unfortunately I didn't spot them soon enough to get out my phone and snap a picture :(.

Here's my ultra-geeky Google Maps pin of their approximate location because I had nothing better to do on my ride back inbound :Phttp://goo.gl/maps/cgKZm

• Upvote 5

I'm happy to report that 5551 and 5552 are currently present in the Midway yard. They're at the North end of the yard in between a pair of 2600s and another mixed consist of 32s and 26s, but alas, they're there. I saw a couple employees walking around them inspecting the underbody components, maybe for maintenance training. Unfortunately I didn't spot them soon enough to get out my phone and snap a picture :(.

Here's my ultra-geeky Google Maps pin of their approximate location because I had nothing better to do on my ride back inbound :Phttp://goo.gl/maps/cgKZm

Perhaps CTA is preparing the Orange Line to get 5000-series cars soon. I initially thought that Orange wasn't supposed to be getting 5000s until the Red and Purple Lines are fully equipped with them, however, things could change. After all, the Purple Line initially wasn't supposed to get any 5000s until the Red Line was fully equipped with them, but since April CTA has decided to equip both lines with them simultaneously (although the Purple Line hasn't gotten new 5000s in a few months now; pretty much all of the new deliveries in the past few months have been to the Red Line).