RTA Governance

More you know what hits the fan. The Strogers made a big deal that, like other county executives, they were entitled to an appointment on the RTA board. Todd gets one, and sure enough, his nominee resigns under a cloud. Tribune.

Nothing surprise me with Todd.He has former staff going on trial now.The question is does another jail need to be reopen or rebuild with the amount of corruption with are polticians.Also which one will keep Blago company?

More you know what hits the fan. The Strogers made a big deal that, like other county executives, they were entitled to an appointment on the RTA board. Todd gets one, and sure enough, his nominee resigns under a cloud. Tribune.

I saw the article. And I also saw how the majority of commenters wanted to twist this latest bit of Illinois political foolishness into either a black vs white, Chicago vs everybody else, Republican vs Democrat or some other generic us vs them silly divide, when sadly the state of Illinois is a political mess as a whole when we take an honest look at state and local held offices in recent years along with the Jesse Jackson Jr mess on the federal level.

I saw the article. And I also saw how the majority of commenters wanted to twist this latest bit of Illinois political foolishness into either a black vs white, Chicago vs everybody else, Republican vs Democrat or some other generic us vs them silly divide, when sadly the state of Illinois is a political mess as a whole when we take an honest look at state and local held offices in recent years along with the Jesse Jackson Jr mess on the federal level.

In my case, crooks vs what few aren't. But one couldn't expect better of a Stroger appointee.

If anyone you know from Cairo or Vandalia is messing with Metra or the RTA, let us know. Now maybe they are engaged in social services grants fraud, but the mere volume is going to be more around here, and this is only a transit forum.

In my case, crooks vs what few aren't. But one couldn't expect better of a Stroger appointee.

If anyone you know from Cairo or Vandalia is messing with Metra or the RTA, let us know. Now maybe they are engaged in social services grants fraud, but the mere volume is going to be more around here, and this is only a transit forum.

Yes true which I will concede, though the RTA and Metra antics are still symptoms of the overall whole was my point.

Corruption is the only true bipartisan effort in this state. This latest mess is another reason why I'm moving to Wisconsin very soon.

From what the Tribune article later indicated, it probably doesn't matter. First it is doubtful that the panel will come up with a suggestion as sweeping as throw the whole 4 boards out, and then the Tribune indicated that only watered-down recommendations were enacted after the post-Blago panel (also headed by Patrick Collins).

The only thing that matters is if Madigan and Cullerton fall on their own swords. The lies by O'Halloran keep coming out (today in the S-T that he said that O'Halloran had enlisted Tim McCarthy to reorganize the Metra police, when McCarthy said he said no), but the biggies haven't been trapped yet.

At this point we should be thankfull that there isn't enough money to build the Star Line or Red Line Extension.

Given how the College Clowns are acting.There would be at lease a 1000 patronage jobs.

The Star Line seems conceded as dead.

The Red Line extension probably would be like the Red Line rebuild, i.e., we won't make the mistake Metra did on the Englewood flyover, and will try to coopt the community first. In fact I am still surprised that the 5 month shutdown of the Red Line still hasn't given rise to much opposition.

The Star Line seems conceded as dead.

The Red Line extension probably would be like the Red Line rebuild, i.e., we won't make the mistake Metra did on the Englewood flyover, and will try to coopt the community first. In fact I am still surprised that the 5 month shutdown of the Red Line still hasn't given rise to much opposition.

Given that the Dan Ryan stretch was slower than slow (I still remember it taking an hour one Sunday afternoon back in the spring just to get from 95th to Roosevelt), I think the community was more than willing to go along with a shutdown this time around even if in some cases it was grudgingly that they do so.

From what the Tribune article later indicated, it probably doesn't matter....

Since George Ranney was indicated to be a potential member, this opinion piece by him in the Tribune indicates that he has no clue. Combining the Metra and Pace boards, and as I mentioned earlier, RTA and CMAP would accomplish nothing.

Dennis Byrne even figured out that there should be only one board, and I usually figure that he is senile. However, this time he made sense.

In the meantime, an RTA board member from Kane just resigned over double dipping. The article also mentioned that someone Quinn nominated for the CTA board doesn't meet statutory qualifications according to Gates of the RTA, like none of Quinn's appointees ever has.

Anytime Quinn appoint someone to a state job they are overpay.

Again another political appointment that is to help him get reelected. :angry:

Since the $25,000 is set by law, the only question is whether (as the Tribune indicated) this was a payoff to get votes in Thornton Township (essentially Harvey and South Holland).

More fun in the Tribune today. While Gates of the RTA apparently wants to seize a few more marginal powers, this little tidbit appeared at the end:

The proposal could face tough opposition from the CTA, which long has had a prickly relationship with the RTA and would likely bristle at losing any autonomy. A CTA spokesman declined comment Thursday.

You mean Brian Steele is getting paid $153K* and couldn't defend his political appointment?

As I contended earlier, CTA shouldn't lose its autonomy. It (or at least its board) should lose its existence.

For more comedy along these lines, see this story about Quinn and Bill (Hanging Chad) Daley reversing roles on CT Board appointments, noting that Richard M. appointed Terry Peterson for political reasons. Another reason for the CT Board to lose its existence.

Finally, there is the fake gnashing over Mikey blocking Lisa. We know that the only reason Lisa isn't running is the Metra mess; up to then, she didn't see any conflict.

_____

*Corrected.

When you look at how much Brian Steele is getting pay.Thats another reason to combine all the Boards.If you combine all the Boards 3 at the most you would need.

If you are talking about flacks, one can go back to the RTA wants increased power article, where there is a quotation from DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin's spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet. She was the Metra spokesperson, and a search to verify that brings up a Crain's article that she got a settlement, too, on the way out the door at Metra, courtesy of Clifford.

The stuff hitting the fan now is up to the level of elephant dung.

If you are talking about flacks, one can go back to the RTA wants increased power article, where there is a quotation from DuPage County Board Chairman Dan Cronin's spokeswoman Judy Pardonnet. She was the Metra spokesperson, and a search to verify that brings up a Crain's article that she got a settlement, too, on the way out the door at Metra, courtesy of Clifford.

The stuff hitting the fan now is up to the level of elephant dung.

I can see Daley useing this as a issue.But,then again how is this going to happen with Madigan in the way.

I can see Daley useing this as a issue.But,then again how is this going to happen with Madigan in the way.

Madigan doesn't enter this as far as the appointment of Zuccarelli to the CT Board, since the only issues there are whether Quinn pulls it or the state senate refuses to confirm him.

The only relevant consideration is that both Daley and Quinn are hypocrites when it comes to patronage.

I also have to point out that with regard to my saying that Quinn and Emanuel made appointments to the CT Board in violation of the MTA Act, I was considering only the business and transportation experience requirements. I hadn't plowed through all the double dipping ones, but they are there. I don't think that Quinn can say with a straight face that a township supervisor (whose only real job in Thornton Township is handing out poor relief) is excluded from the spirit of the MTA prohibition, even if a township is not a muncipality.

Madigan doesn't enter this as far as the appointment of Zuccarelli to the CT Board, since the only issues there are whether Quinn pulls it or the state senate refuses to confirm him.

The only relevant consideration is that both Daley and Quinn are hypocrites when it comes to patronage.

I also have to point out that with regard to my saying that Quinn and Emanuel made appointments to the CT Board in violation of the MTA Act, I was considering only the business and transportation experience requirements. I hadn't plowed through all the double dipping ones, but they are there. I don't think that Quinn can say with a straight face that a township supervisor (whose only real job in Thornton Township is handing out poor relief) is excluded from the spirit of the MTA prohibition, even if a township is not a muncipality.

Your right about Quinn with a straight face.When the income tax increase happen he appointed people who voted for it that lost the election.

Your right about Quinn with a straight face.When the income tax increase happen he appointed people who voted for it that lost the election.

Now that you mention that, that was known as the Quinn pro Quo.

Just saw it in the Tribune, and then the S-T on the home page and your link.

Again, like O'Halloran, not that because he was in an untenable position, but as a result of the "political grandstanding."

But maybe it was, as the two other Quinn appointees who don't meet statutory requirements haven't resigned, and I'm sure the media will be more attentive to whom Quinn appoints next. But I guess Zucarelli really didn't need the $25,000 so badly.

The S-T article also says that FRA is stepping up safety oversight of Metra at Durbin's urging, but didn't say anything about FTA stepping up financial oversight.

Just saw it in the Tribune, and then the S-T on the home page and your link.

Again, like O'Halloran, not that because he was in an untenable position, but as a result of the "political grandstanding."

But maybe it was, as the two other Quinn appointees who don't meet statutory requirements haven't resigned, and I'm sure the media will be more attentive to whom Quinn appoints next. But I guess Zucarelli really didn't need the $25,000 so badly.

The S-T article also says that FRA is stepping up safety oversight of Metra at Durbin's urging, but didn't say anything about FTA stepping up financial oversight.

When you look at this mess.Its all about each poltician getting there share of the pie. :angry:

Tribune reports that Quinn has appointed his commission, including Patrick Fitzgerald and Ranney. I criticized Ranney earlier.

It looks though from the article that Quinn is more interested in the Metra scandals than fixing inherent problems, and the last paragraph points out that the legislature doesn't listen.

Also am I too cynical in believing, just as like Patrick Collins almost got the appointment from Metra and his law firm is engaged in white collar investigations, that Fitzgerald's law firm could use a bit of business?