More Bus Moves

sw4400

After dropping some people off at O'Hare, I passed by the Rosemont yard on my way home. There was a train set with a car that was missing its mate, like 3457-3458 before the two cars were mated. The blind end of the train was facing me. You'd think that kind of work would be reserved for the Skokie Shops. Or is this routine work?

After dropping some people off at O'Hare, I passed by the Rosemont yard on my way home. There was a train set with a car that was missing its mate, like 3457-3458 before the two cars were mated. The blind end of the train was facing me. You'd think that kind of work would be reserved for the Skokie Shops. Or is this routine work?

Someone reported that the car was the back end of the pair that crashed into the escalator (3062). 3061 was cut into little bitty pieces. Probably both are on an NTSB hold.

Was 1257 being used as a delegate bus here? Fishbowl 1257, not New Flyer 1257.... Link

If memory serves no that bus wasn't a delegate bus per se in the sense of that CTA used buses from each of the models that were in service during 1996 to shuttle around delegates for the 1996 Democratic Convention for that year's presidential campaign and also represent the face of CTA on the bus side to those delegates. It was used by Mayor Daley during his first 10 or so years in office when he was doing city business and meetings and needed to move around with a large group that the city might have been playing official host to at the time.

Can you spare a tire, buddy?

Note the year the pic was taken.

In regards to the steel wheels on the 95 model Flxs, I seem to recall that Flx #6063 also had the steel painted dark gray wheels when it was assigned at FG. I remember driving it.

Yeah Kedzie did that with that bus shortly before FG got it. As sw noted a few others had the grey "transit" wheels as well including that which he mentioned. At various times you'd see 6000s with all grey wheels and on others you saw grey wheels either only on the front or only on the rear axle. To answer his question, no they didn't come from the factory like that. That's something Kedzie maintenance crews did at the garage level because they had a habit of using 5300 Flx parts on the 6000s that were compatible between both models when both models were simultaneously assigned there. It was mostly doors and windows but on rare occasions it included wheels. Speaking off mismatched wheels, shortly after 9800s replaced the Fishbowls at Archer, there was one 9800 there that had front wheels with the two hole rims off one of CTA's trucks.

If memory serves no that bus wasn't a delegate bus per se in the sense of that CTA used buses from each of the models that were in service during 1996 to shuttle around delegates for the 1996 Democratic Convention for that year's presidential campaign and also represent the face of CTA on the bus side to those delegates. It was used by Mayor Daley during his first 10 or so years in office when he was doing city business and meetings and needed to move around with a large group that the city might have been playing official host to at the time.

Note the year the pic was taken.

The text says 1986, which would have been 10 years too early. By 1996, all of these buses were gone. Note, also, the wrap or paint job says HAROLD WASHINGTON, MAYOR. So, it probably was for something else.

The text says 1986, which would have been 10 years too early. By 1996, all of these buses were gone. Note, also, the wrap or paint job says HAROLD WASHINGTON, MAYOR. So, it probably was for something else.

You misread what I said. I did NOT say it was used in 1996 for the conventions. Note that I said it WASN'T used in that sense that CTA buses got used for the convention in 1996. And yeah the text says Harold Washington, but that bus was still around and in use when Daley took over as Mayor in 1989 because I do remember seeing it quite a bit on the west side and downtown during part of the first half of Daley's years in office with Washington's name removed. So the only thing in my post that might be a bit of misquote on my part is saying it was used Daley's first ten years when I intended to type that it had been in use for a while early in Daley's first ten years.

You misread what I said. I did NOT say it was used in 1996 for the conventions. Note that I said it WASN'T used in that sense that CTA buses got used for the convention in 1996. And yeah the text says Harold Washington, but that bus was still around and in use when Daley took over as Mayor in 1989 because I do remember seeing it quite a bit on the west side and downtown during part of the first half of Daley's years in office with Washington's name removed. So the only thing in my post that might be a bit of misquote on my part is saying it was used Daley's first ten years when I intended to type that it had been in use for a while early in Daley's first ten years.

But then, what did Harold or the city use it for in 1986?

Are we really going to play this game dude? What does the text on the bus say? If Daley was using it for the purpose painted on the bus, wouldn't it make sense that Mayor Washington used it for the same?

Why are you evading the question? Wads there some convention in 1986 that somehow I missed?

Why are you evading the question? Wads there some convention in 1986 that somehow I missed?

I'm not evading anything. What part of THE BUS WAS NOT USED FOR ANY CONVENTION don't you understand? I never said that that the bus was used for that purpose so please don't put words in my mouth I didn't say. Since somehow you seem to be having a blonde moment, I'll repeat what I told sw. The bus was NOT used for any delegates in the same sense of CTA buses getting used as DNC shuttles to transport delegates around between points near where the Democratic Party held its political convention to nominate President Clinton for reelection in 1996. As I remember someone on the forum mentioning a while back, the bus got used by the mayor at the time for local city business presumably when he hosted meetings with larger groups.

A critical mistake whoever the operator was for leaving the curtain wide open but hell, I surely took advantaged of it!!! :lol:

Cool shots. And even though our forum members who work for CTA wouldn't say anything, still be careful with getting that type of shot since it's quite different in circumstance from BusHunter being allowed on 6814 at the roadeo. :lol:

74th is short on bus because 1336 is on #62 1337 is on #94 1339 is on #63W and #1340 is on #63 this morning on bustracker.

Well, I know that some of their New Flyers are at South Shops undergoing or waiting to undergo some form of rehab(full, mechanical, bits & pieces) and no doubt some of their Novas are probably in need of major repairs if they want to keep them on the active fleet(the aforementioned 6625 hasn't been seen by myself since that one day I heard how bad it's engine was sounding, jajuan witnessed this bus as well) unless they've retired some. That's where people with inside sources like BusHunter or people who are brave enough to trek to the dead lot like garmon come into play.

What are the status of these two Novas?

• 6625(Noisy engine... sounds like a Mack or Peterbilt truck with a loud turbo on it)
  • 6708('Old smoky... chugging out plumes of blue smoke from the tailpipe which is no doubt diesel and oil burning together which is usually a sign of oil getting into the piston chambers via cracked heads, worn O-rings, etc... blue screen of death=computers, blue smoke of death=cars, trucks, buses)

74th is short on bus because 1336 is on #62 1337 is on #94 1339 is on #63W and #1340 is on #63 this morning on bustracker.

Maybe 77th gave away upper 1300's. Usually when loans happen they occur with whatever is available and they are sent out . This seems to be more concentrated on a certain section of fleet. I could be very wrong though.

I'll give it a few days to see if that transition is consistent enough for me to change the not rehabbed list (if anybody wants to check it out on the NF's rehabs topic, page 64).