New Destination Signs

chgofan78

I've recently noticed that the CTA has put new destination signs on Brown and Orange Line trains. The signs are the exact same as the old (i.e. Kimball, Loop). I've noticed that one set of the new signs contain a sign for Midway and a sign for O'Hare with white lettering and a black background. Does anyone know the purpose of those signs?

I've recently noticed that the CTA has put new destination signs on Brown and Orange Line trains. The signs are the exact same as the old (i.e. Kimball, Loop). I've noticed that one set of the new signs contain a sign for Midway and a sign for O'Hare with white lettering and a black background. Does anyone know the purpose of those signs?

If you are saying that the background is black instead of blue or orange, the only conceivable reason would be for the nonexistent Block 37 express.

The consultant's report, a couple of years ago, indicated that the cars would be stored at Midway yard, whether the trains were eventually going to Midway or O'Hare.

Of course, the consultant's report also mentioned a lot of things that didn't happen a quarter of a billion dollars later.

I think I may have found another possible reason of the different 'Midway' sign in today's RedEye. New work to install new signals and replace rail ties on the Loop Elevated inner tracks along Lake and Wabash is set to begin today taking the inner Loop tracks along Lake and Wabash out of service. The way trains will operate during this work is being done is southbound Brown Line trains will operate normally into downtown until they reach the Library-State/Van Buren station. From that point they will become Orange line trains and travel to Midway. Northbound Brown Line trains will enter the Loop from Roosevelt and operate along the inner track along Van Buren and Wells. Orange Line trains will operate normally to Washington/Wells and then become Brown Line trains to Belmont. Green Line trains from 63rd will use the inner tracks along Van Buren and Wells and resume their regular route west after the Washington/Wells station. Green Line trains from Harlem/Lake operate the outer tracks along Wells and Van Buren after entering the Loop and resume their regular southbound route to 63rd after Library-State/Van Buren. Pink Line trains will operate counterclockwise on the outer loop tracks instead of clockwise on the inner loop. Apparently Purple Line Express is unaffected because it already operates counterclockwise after its direction was reversed to make room when the Pink was introduced into service. There's no explanation of why the trains will only go to Belmont after changing from northbound Orange to northbound Brown or whether the northbound Brown trains that begin at Roosevelt will be the Brown line trains to operate to Kimball. It does state the work is supposed to be done by Thanksgiving. Also Red Line subway slow zone work is slated to be complete by the end of October and O'Hare Blue Line slow zone work is slated to be complete by year's end.

I think I may have found another possible reason of the different 'Midway' sign in today's RedEye. New work to install new signals and replace rail ties on the Loop Elevated inner tracks along Lake and Wabash is set to begin today taking the inner Loop tracks along Lake and Wabash out of service.
However, that doesn't explain the black O'Hare ones. It might explain the creation of an ochre line combining the Orange and Brown, and while that has been suggested in various writeups of the Circle Line, CTA hasn't announced anything like that.

Also, as the CTA release indicates, this work is only being done on weekends and overnight, and the Purple Line doesn't run then. This is a temporary situation, and happened earlier this year, too.

However, that doesn't explain the black O'Hare ones. It might explain the creation of an ochre line combining the Orange and Brown, and while that has been suggested in various writeups of the Circle Line, CTA hasn't announced anything like that.

Also, as the CTA release indicates, this work is only being done on weekends and overnight, and the Purple Line doesn't run then. This is a temporary situation, and happened earlier this year, too.

Ok. That makes more sense. The RedEye story didn't specify that it was night and weekend work.

Does the O'Hare sign look like this?

post-287-1220626196_thumb.jpg

Also, Is the Midway sign still Orange or is it black and white as well?

Does the O'Hare sign look like this?

post-287-1220626196_thumb.jpg

Also, Is the Midway sign still Orange or is it black and white as well?

You know seeing that the O'hare sign is black. It occured to me what other rail signs are black? The express signs that say express when a late train skips stops. This leads me to agree with Busjack that those signs were for the block 37/airport express trains. Most likely the contract went out before the shell idea came up. It would make sense to run the newest trains on the express lines especially if they were charging an express fare. Also, the #3200's are a bit nicer and have a better seating arrangement for passengers with luggage.

The new signs look exactly like that with a third sign that says Downtown with a black background and white lettering. However, not all cars were equipped the the same set of signs. One set includes signs for the Brown, Orange, Red and Green Lines with those Black signs between the Red and Green Line signs. The other set of signs has Brown, Orange, Red and Purple Lines. However, where those black signs are suppose to be, they are replaced with Yellow Line signs and a Red Line sign for Roosevelt. It seems like there is an equal distribution of signs for both sets on the Brown Line and Orange Line.

The new signs look exactly like that with a third sign that says Downtown with a black background and white lettering. However, not all cars were equipped the the same set of signs. One set includes signs for the Brown, Orange, Red and Green Lines with those Black signs between the Red and Green Line signs. The other set of signs has Brown, Orange, Red and Purple Lines. However, where those black signs are suppose to be, they are replaced with Yellow Line signs and a Red Line sign for Roosevelt. It seems like there is an equal distribution of signs for both sets on the Brown Line and Orange Line.

That sure lends credence to my theory, especially the DOWNTOWN, instead of Loop.

I believe that in the past, the Yellow Line had its own sign roll, but apparently now that it can run with usual equipment (no need for a pantograph), maybe that is being broadened.

Adding the Green Line is a bit strange.

No, Ford City is not included anymore. These are all the signs in order for the two sets...

Kimball Loop Belmont Midway Loop Howard 95th Howard Skokie Roosevelt Linden Loop Howard Not in service Express

Kimball Loop Belmont Midway Loop Howard 95th Midway Downtown O'Hare Harlem Ashland/63 Cottage Grove Not in service Express

Also, Green Line signs and marker identification lights were changed this weekend and they are using both formats of signs. Some trains have the Brown, Orange, Red, Black and Green Line signs and others have the Blue, Red, Pink and Green Line family of signs. It seems odd because there six formats of signs currently being used on rail equipment.

Also, Green Line signs and marker identification lights were changed this weekend and they are using both formats of signs. Some trains have the Brown, Orange, Red, Black and Green Line signs and others have the Blue, Red, Pink and Green Line family of signs. It seems odd because there six formats of signs currently being used on rail equipment.
Besides that, since the signs are not automatically operated, how are the operators going to keep them straight? Are there trains with both kinds of signs? Are the Green Line ones in a consistent position, regardless of the roll?

The more I think about this, the more it boggles the mind.

Guest ctafan630

Besides that, since the signs are not automatically operated, how are the operators going to keep them straight? Are there trains with both kinds of signs? Are the Green Line ones in a consistent position, regardless of the roll?

The more I think about this, the more it boggles the mind.

In each train cab there is a "diagram" for each set of destination signs. I believe there are thre rows A, B and C with 5 Columns 1 thru 5.

If the train is a Green Line train to Harlem, the train operator looks at the diagram and see that the Harlem signs is located at position B 2. (This is just used as an example). He then just has to move the different knobs to select B and 2 and the destination sign will scroll to that position.

It is just a matter of looking at the diagram that is the train cab. I would hope that all cars that make up the consit have the same destination sign grouping.

A quick picture of the destination sign diagram for the Blue line.....

I guess that since Green Line is presumably C1 C2 and C3 (positions 11 through 13) on each roll (according to the picture and the prior post), mixing consists still would work.

Also, interesting that the Red Line terminals are also on this roll, and apparently they are also on B1 and B2 in both sets (and hopefully on the set installed in the Red Line trains).

I just noticed a change on the Green Line signage. I waited for a green line train and here comes a train with 2 Green lights in front, but the front roller sign was also green. I just assumed it was an East 63rd train with the wrong destination sign. I didn't pay any attention to the actual sign or the automated announcements because I was tired. However, after I got offf the train and walked a bit, I saw the next green line train with one yellow marker light and one green marker light, but the signage said Cottage Grove. So could it be 2 yellows are Harlem/Lake, 2 greens are Ashland/63 and 1 of each is Cottage Grove? What about the Loop?

Guest ctafan630

A quick picture of the destination sign diagram for the Blue line.

post-16-1221061045_thumb.jpg

Years ago the destination signs for the Blue line also had the Green Line and the Orange Line. The Red line was never part of that group.

The combination of some of the routes on the roller curtains seem so odd. I understand the obvious routes on the same curtain such as the blue and pink lines being on the same roll- as well as the red/purple/yellow/brown combo. I think they could have come up with a few more mid-route signs like Belmont (Blue Line) or a special curtain for the Brown/Orange Line throughroute service. It always sounds so weird to hear "This is a Brown Line train to Midway." It also has its benefits too such as in the past having car shortages on the Green Line and having to borrow equipment from the Blue Line or Brown Line or Purple Line. At least now they can use an actual Green Line sign instead of Express.

The combination of some of the routes on the roller curtains seem so odd. I understand the obvious routes on the same curtain such as the blue and pink lines being on the same roll- as well as the red/purple/yellow/brown combo. I think they could have come up with a few more mid-route signs like Belmont (Blue Line) or a special curtain for the Brown/Orange Line throughroute service. It always sounds so weird to hear "This is a Brown Line train to Midway." It also has its benefits too such as in the past having car shortages on the Green Line and having to borrow equipment from the Blue Line or Brown Line or Purple Line. At least now they can use an actual Green Line sign instead of Express.

You know, speaking of that, have the temporary Brown Line fill ins on the Green Line still going on? Back last school year in March - June I would see one almost every day after I get off from school, and for almost these 2 weeks since school started I have yet to have seen one. :(