6000-series Flxible - Retirements

BusHunter

However, how does an instructor get permission to take an in service vehicle to IRM?

Good question.

Okay, the skinny behind the pic...

That was from the 1995 Historical Vehicle Extravaganza (a.k.a. the annual car show) at I.R.M. At the time, I was an "instructor in training" (pool instructor) and I was one of the instructors working on the maintenance end pimping off the 6000s when they were new. 6185 was to be assigned to Kedzie, and I was given the special assignment to do the show. The year before, we took a rehabbed South Suburban 700 up there. CTA gave away cheap swag.

I remember it was hotter than blazes, and 6185 was the ONLY vehicle on the property at IRM with working air conditioning! So, there were the usual contingent of 'bus-hating old-timey rail-fans' that went out of their way to come to see the bus to remind me, "buses are what killed the streetcars", and then sat in the bus all day to be in air conditioned comfort...

Go have a stale electroburger, tubby.

Bwahahahahahaha!

Good question.

Okay, the skinny behind the pic...

That was from the 1995 Historical Vehicle Extravaganza (a.k.a. the annual car show) at I.R.M. At the time, I was an "instructor in training" (pool instructor) and I was one of the instructors working on the maintenance end pimping off the 6000s when they were new. 6185 was to be assigned to Kedzie, and I was given the special assignment to do the show. The year before, we took a rehabbed South Suburban 700 up there. CTA gave away cheap swag.

I remember it was hotter than blazes, and 6185 was the ONLY vehicle on the property at IRM with working air conditioning! So, there were the usual contingent of 'bus-hating old-timey rail-fans' that went out of their way to come to see the bus to remind me, "buses are what killed the streetcars", and then sat in the bus all day to be in air conditioned comfort...

Go have a stale electroburger, tubby.

Bwahahahahahaha!

I always used to to see #5802 at IRM on those days. I'm pretty sure I saw a flyer at least 3 or 4 different years.

Just came back from the "Fresh Moves" bus unveiling. The bus is exCTA Flxible #6127, The bus number is still located inside. The "F" FG decal is still displayed in the window. The bus has been wrapped in the "Fresh Moves" livery, it still has the bike rack installed. All interior seats have been removed with the exception of the rear wall seats, they remain. The interior security cameras are still in place. The front destination sign and control panel are gone. But they retained the side sign, it still has part of "Forest Glen" still readable. The floor rubber was replaced by diamond plate floor from the front to back of the bus. I have pics, will post later. There were media at the locations today, I would check with the local news later this afternoon, particularly FOX Chicago since they did the story in the beginning. Nice looking bus!. I think its an awesome project. If the project is successful, they do have plans to expand the program using more exCTA buses. They have plans to aquire twelve buses.

• 3 months later...

I managed to get some pics of WB1 while it was at the Sheridan station. I like the notable inconsistencies associated with this bus; the CTA logos, the missing piece of the rear bumper, the run number box with a 'no parking sign' (im not sure why thats there), and the rear destination sign still reading '75'. I miss this series SO much.

30d8h91.jpg

(im very glad these pics didnt turn out so crappy this time!)

post-68-1314375357095_thumb.jpg

post-68-13143754108905_thumb.jpg

Might be no parking in front of the bus that blocks the bus. Probably would not be effective for that purpose.

Also, I'm sure that the Sun-Times will be investigating whether the crew was working at the L station (maybe fixing sw's rusty guide rail) or "working" at the Sheridan L Lounge. :lol:

Might be no parking in front of the bus that blocks the bus. Probably would not be effective for that purpose.

Also, I'm sure that the Sun-Times will be investigating whether the crew was working at the L station (maybe fixing sw's rusty guide rail) or "working" at the Sheridan L Lounge. :lol:

Coincidentally, there were absolutely NO workers around. The bus was just sitting there, idling, with the doors locked. Perhaps the workers did decide to take a quick break at the Lounge in question~

I managed to get some pics of WB1 while it was at the Sheridan station. I like the notable inconsistencies associated with this bus; the CTA logos, the missing piece of the rear bumper, the run number box with a 'no parking sign' (im not sure why thats there), and the rear destination sign still reading '75'. I miss this series SO much.

30d8h91.jpg

(im very glad these pics didnt turn out so crappy this time!)

post-68-1314375357095_thumb.jpg

post-68-13143754108905_thumb.jpg

I sure miss driving these monsters! :)

Heres a nice 11 minute video of Flxible #6127 second life. Enjoy! Ive been given the opportunity to work with this group. I will be reunited, behind the wheel of an old friend from Kedzie and Forest Glen! Im excited! :)

http://youtu.be/Fv7uk-mY8ZY

Today I got to drive the Fresh Moves Flxible bus. We were traveling all over the west side making stops at selected locations. It was fun to be reunited with one of my old FG buses.

Today I got to drive the Fresh Moves Flxible bus. We were traveling all over the west side making stops at selected locations. It was fun to be reunited with one of my old FG buses.

I wonder how long this Fresh Moves bus will stay in business. With Mariano's and Walmart moving into Chicago, those food desert areas will probably be targeted for new stores soon.

I wonder how long this Fresh Moves bus will stay in business. With Mariano's and Walmart moving into Chicago, those food desert areas will probably be targeted for new stores soon.

Probably not there (especially not Mariano's*).

However, looking at the video, I wonder about the implication of the boy not taking the complementary apple. Besides an implication about demand for produce, it sort of looked like Eve telling Adam that it is o.k. to eat the apple, even though the Lord told him not to.

_________

*I forgot, though, that Mariano said he was going into Bronzeville.

Probably not there (especially not Mariano's*).

However, looking at the video, I wonder about the implication of the boy not taking the complementary apple. Besides an implication about demand for produce, it sort of looked like Eve telling Adam that it is o.k. to eat the apple, even though the Lord told him not to.

_________

*I forgot, though, that Mariano said he was going into Bronzeville.

I'll just say 4 the record, Adam and Eve should've listened to the Lord.

• Upvote 1

• 1 month later...

Though I wasn't really a fan of 6000s I caught this shot last week of the Fresh Moves bus on its way from the farmer's market held in the parking lot of the local commnunity bank in my neighborhood every Wednesday. This was on Roosevelt Road just west of Homan Avenue. I couldn't you guys a closer shot because as you can see the bus was about to drive away when I spotted it.

post-71-13180342284012_thumb.jpg

Well anyway, I'm thinking about something bigger. Now that they are clearing out Archer, could it be possible they might try to sell the land to a developer, or keep Archer for there own use, like Beverly is today?

The CTA procurement page has your answer now, in that there is a "Request for Proposals (RFP) for Sale of CTA Property Located at 2600 West Pershing Road, Chicago, IL."

You have until Monday to get in your proposal.

• 4 weeks later...

For those doubters among us, while many 6000s have been retired or sold for scrap, not all have been consigned to the graveyard.

CTA has retained a "contingency fleet" of 86 6000s available for reactivation if necessary. (Approximately 20 each are assigned to Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd, but stored at Archer garage.) This 26 percent of the 6000 fleet is considerably more than the "couple" of 6000s referenced elsewhere

edited 11/10/11 12:25 a.m.: to include mistakenly-omitted words (in blue) and correct intended meaning of sentence

• Upvote 2

For those doubters among us, while many 6000s have been retired or sold for scrap, not all have been consigned to the graveyard.

CTA has retained a "contingency fleet" of 86 6000s available for reactivation if necessary. (Approximately 20 each are at Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd.) This 26 percent of the 6000 fleet is considerably more than the "couple" of 6000s referenced elsewhere

I wonder where there going to get the space needed to house them. Now if they had Archer.... Next summer they may be swapping those with Novas.

CTA has retained a "contingency fleet" of 86 6000s available for reactivation if necessary. (Approximately 20 each are at Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd.) This 26 percent of the 6000 fleet is considerably more than the "couple" of 6000s referenced elsewhere

It's time to just let all of them go. they're going on 16 years already.

• Upvote 2

Chicago=20

Forest Glen=20

74th=20

103rd=20

Total=80(Contingency plan=86)

Where's the other 6? I have to also agree with the naysayers. These buses are 16-17 yrs old, and will be 17-18 yrs old respectively in 2012. The only use for the Flxibles now are the following...

-Work Buses

-CPD Equipment

-CFD Equipment

-Work Buses

-The "Fresh Moves" Grocery Store on Wheels program

-Warming Buses in emergencies

-Training Buses for new drivers/mechanics before they get practice on the current stock.

That said, I'm sure the CTA doesn't have much of a stockpile of parts now for the engines of these buses to maintain them on a daily basis(6000-6304=Detroit Diesel Series-50 Engines, 6305-6329=Cummins M11 Engines). Not to mention they need the equipment to keep the Wheelchair Lifts functioning & the Transmissions functioning. I can tell you for certain that to get these buses possibly operable for service(again, highly unlikely), they have to replace fuel filters, unseize any seized brakes, replace batteries, fill and top off diesel, oil, brake fluids. Too much work for just 80 buses that would be used for what purpose?

Why would the CTA need a contingency plan? The NOVA LFS buses are working just fine, their retirement can be pushed back a little bit(they're only approaching their minimum 12 yr. life span) if the CTA is that bad off on replacements. They're not spewing nuts and bolts all over Chicago yet.

Why would the CTA need a contingency plan? The NOVA LFS buses are working just fine, their retirement can be pushed back a little bit(they're only approaching their minimum 12 yr. life span) if the CTA is that bad off on replacements. They're not spewing nuts and bolts all over Chicago yet.

Probably not for any reason other than to have one, given that they also had a plan to store them at Archer, but apparently for not more than 18 months.

You will remember that I asked when the RFP to scrap 120 was posted if that was the end of them, and the only person who answered then was BusHunter. So csl didn't pipe up then.

What do you base this on? Did you physically see them? Ive passed by FG and I havent seen any stored there. In addition FG dosent have the capacity to store 20 extra buses. It is already an overcrowded facility.

It sure felt great driving my Flx today. I always like to reflect on the days when I drove them for CTA. As I went down Pulaski Rd., Im passing in service CTA buses, sure gave me the feeling as if I was in service alongside the Pulaski buses. What I find funny is that people waiting at CTA bus stops actually wave me down thinking I am an in service CTA bus.

Apparently I have started a firestorm with my poorly-proofread post and missing words. I apologize. The intended sentence should have read:

Approximately 20 each are assigned to Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd, but stored at Archer garage. (When I was editing the sentence, I clearly lost words critical to the meaning.) Sorry about the carelessness.

What do you base this on? Did you physically see them?

Based on direct knowledge and the contents of the CTA bus assignment report (current report and reports dated at least as far back as Sept. 2010).

• Upvote 3

Apparently I have started a firestorm with my poorly-proofread post and missing words. I apologize. The intended sentence should have read:

Approximately 20 each are assigned to Chicago, Forest Glen, 74th and 103rd, but stored at Archer garage.

If they are still there, it looks like not for long, unless one believes that CTA is going back on the RFP to sell Archer garage.

Still doesn't answer the question about the RFP to sell 120 for scrap, and if any of those 120 are supposedly these 80. (The links in those posts still work).

• Upvote 1