M.A.N Americana

qwantae

So far last two years, I've seen that Unknown serie former CTA M.A.N. bus sitting abandon boarded up windows and doors under the green line tracks at E.61st and S. Calumet Ave. accross the former housing project. That poor bus!!!

The MAN Americana What a bus! I really enjoyed driving that model bus. I operated them out of three garages. Kedzie, N.Pk and

Forest Glen. It was an easy bus to drive, the large front window, double wide front doors were great to have when you had heavy passenger loading and unloading. I remember when CTA first recieved them in 1985. The first ones I spotted were the 4200s on the 97 Skokie in that ugly two tone green paint scheme. I have a rare video of a MAN Americana in service on the #80 Irving Pk @ Neenah. The bus was great in so many ways I miss them, I miss the engine sound. Those buses really took a beating but they ran well all the way to their retirement. I remember having 4300 Americanas on Addison just before they were retired, it still ran great. A while back I visited Minneapolis MTC South Garage and they had a full line of dead storage MAN Americanas 1100, 1300, 1400 series. I took quite a few photographs of them. They looked really cool in the "T" paint job. Their taillamps were different than Chicagos. They had the the four "cats eyes" like a couple of CTA MANs or the 2200 Pace Ikarus.

In my 7 years I had at CTA I spent more time on the MAN bus than any other bus in the fleet as well as the Flxible Metros. I miss them!

I read an article that stated that many of those buses had more than 500000 miles before they were retired.

I'm not surprised. I remember a discussion thread a while ago that said CTA wanted to make them the backbone of the fleet like the 1000s are fast becoming.

I'm noy surprised. I remember a discussion thread a while ago that said CTA wanted to make them the backbone of the fleet like the 1000s are fast becoming.

Yeah I agree. Those were the best buses CTA ever purchased. I operated those too out of 103rd and North Park. They were really the only buses that could handle Chicago winters, and rain. I miss you 4290 :(

Yeah I agree. Those were the best buses CTA ever purchased. I operated those too out of 103rd and North Park. They were really the only buses that could handle Chicago winters, and rain. I miss you 4290 :(

I agree too, I miss riding them on Lake Shore Drive on Former 6- Jeffery Express along with 7100s, them both are the Fastest and good looking buses than newer buses like 1000s/ 7500s. 4146 from North Park was the last MAN I've rode on (#145) summer 2004, And 7411 was the last Articulated MAN Ive rode on (#6 Jackson Park Exp) in late 2004. I miss them :(

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 weeks later...

They had the the four "cats eyes" like a couple of CTA MANs or the 2200 Pace Ikarus.

What are "cats eyes"?

Totally separate question: Does anyone know the exact date of the last Americana's retirement? I'm trying to figure out if they ever ran on the 148. I know that they ran on the 143 and 144, but I don't think they ever operated on the 148 because the 148 was created 6 months after the first 2003 LSD changes.

What are "cats eyes"?

Totally separate question: Does anyone know the exact date of the last Americana's retirement? I'm trying to figure out if they ever ran on the 148. I know that they ran on the 143 and 144, but I don't think they ever operated on the 148 because the 148 was created 6 months after the first 2003 LSD changes.

The term "cats eyes" refers to the type of bus taillamps. The CTAs GMC fishbowl taillamps are the example of "cats eyes"

No the Americanas did not run on 148 from what I remember, only TMCs, 5800s, and 7300s. This route has been accessible from the first day of its creation. By the time the 148 was created, the Americanas were basically only running in strong numbers on the 135. They became all but nonexistent on 145 and 146. I remember seeing a few on 145 at this point mostly on a very small number of midday trips. If you saw them on 143 and 144, it was a very rare sighting since these routes also have always been accessible. Americanas were so few in number by this point, that it was getting increasingly harder to find one on the very few nonaccessible routes left let alone an accessible one.

No the Americanas did not run on 148 from what I remember, only TMCs, 5800s, and 7300s. This route has been accessible from the first day of its creation. By the time the 148 was created, the Americanas were basically only running in strong numbers on the 135. They became all but nonexistent on 145 and 146. I remember seeing a few on 145 at this point mostly on a very small number of midday trips. If you saw them on 143 and 144, it was a very rare sighting since these routes also have always been accessible. Americanas were so few in number by this point, that it was getting increasingly harder to find one on the very few nonaccessible routes left let alone an accessible one.

I never recalled the Americanas ever used on the LSD routes after the restructuring. The only times I saw it was on the 135 and 136, and MAYBE a 145 or 146. I believe that the 134, 143, 144, 146, and 148 were accessible from the get-go, as they were used by the accessible buses. But by the time the restructuring occurred, they were mainly non-existent to begin with (and weren't they sent to FG also?).

I never recalled the Americanas ever used on the LSD routes after the restructuring. The only times I saw it was on the 135 and 136, and MAYBE a 145 or 146. I believe that the 134, 143, 144, 146, and 148 were accessible from the get-go, as they were used by the accessible buses. But by the time the restructuring occurred, they were mainly non-existent to begin with (and weren't they sent to FG also?).

FG? I don't think so (though I could be wrong.) The few Americanas were definitely used on the 136 and 144 after the restructurings. I rode a few on the 136 after the restructurings, and I drove my friend's deadhead Americana from Balbo/LSD to Foster and Marine one AM rush on the 144.

Also, there was a discussion in a previous post about non-accessibles being used on accessible routes. Remember the 148 was created about six months after the initial restructurings, when there were maybe three or four Americanas left.

FG? I don't think so (though I could be wrong.) The few Americanas were definitely used on the 136 and 144 after the restructurings. I rode a few on the 136 after the restructurings, and I drove my friend's deadhead Americana from Balbo/LSD to Foster and Marine one AM rush on the 144.

===Americanas did operate out of Forest Glen for year. They replaced the last of FG's old Flyers and were themselves displaced by the Novas. During that year, (i believe it was 2001), the Americanas were assigned exclusively to Addison, Austin, and occasionally N.Cicero/Skokie Blvd., FG's last non-accessible routes.

Americanas did operate out of Forest Glen for year. They replaced the last of FG's old Flyers and were themselves displaced by the Novas. During that year, (i believe it was 2001), the Americanas were assigned exclusively to Addison, Austin, and occasionally N.Cicero/Skokie Blvd., FG's last non-accessible routes.

Okay, I understand now. That actually makes sense because, in their last days, I used to see Americanas on the 152. I figured that NP was helping out for a while, and never bothered to look at the run number.

A few questions:

1. When exactly were some Americanas moved to FG?

2. How many Americanas were moved to FG?

3. What were the bus numbers of the FG Americanas?

4. When were the last NP Americanas retired?

5. How many Americanas were at NP right before their retirement?

6. What were the bus numbers of the NP Americanas?

7. Does anyone have the delivery schedule of the Novas to FG?

8. When exactly were the FG Flyers retired?

9. Which Flyers were the last to go?

===Americanas did operate out of Forest Glen for year. They replaced the last of FG's old Flyers and were themselves displaced by the Novas. During that year, (i believe it was 2001), the Americanas were assigned exclusively to Addison, Austin, and occasionally N.Cicero/Skokie Blvd., FG's last non-accessible routes.

True. I saw them all the time at Jefferson Park on the #91 during that time period.

A few questions:

Sometime in 2001.

Me thinks they were whatever 4000's were left.

2004, when the final arrivals of the 7500's appeared.

4150-4300 (give or take a few)

2001-02, and they were the ones with the single seats on the right side (9800's?)

Basically, the Americanas were moved to Forest Glen (1) to get rid of the remaining Flyers, and (2) because Addison needed a bus with more seating capacity (this was before NP articulateds were assigned). The numbers were scattered, especially when, as a result of Novas going to Archer and Chicago, TMCs were sent to other garages, and their routes (primarily out of 74 and 103) were declared accessible. My guess was that this involved about 40 buses. Going by the Forest Glen fence, you could see fleet numbers basically in the ranges formerly assigned to 103, 74, and NP.

A few questions:

2. How many Americanas were moved to FG?

5. How many Americanas were at NP right before their retirement?

7. Does anyone have the delivery schedule of the Novas to FG?

FG Flyers were retired around 9/11/2001 from the street. #1620 was the last one I ever seen on this date in service. It was on the #152. A couple FG Flyers remained at FG (#9897, #9934) until they were towed to south shops by truck 270. (a wrecker truck) This happened on 4/12/2002. I believe this was done to clear space for arrival of the #6700's and #6800's. In late april or early May of 2002 I spotted #6658 on the #54A. This was the first Nova that I know of at the Glen. This was a chicago bus probably used for training of the operators for the arrival of new equipment. On 5/13/2002 the first group of Novas hit the glen. The first I saw was #6762 on the #85 on this date. The last delivered #6883 around 9/29/2002. Now the Americanas. I would say 57 buses were at NP before there retirement. News reports say 65 though I never counted that many. Final bus numbers ranged all over from #4004 to #4355 which had come from the glen and 103rd. As far as Forest Glen #4113 was the among the first Americanas at the Glen. This happened around june 2001 as retired Flyers went away Americanas came in. I have complete lists of all 57 buses at Np as well as Delivery schedules of all Novas,Nabi's, New Flyers and a partial list of final Forest glen Flyers,(including what archer and 77th Flyers were transferred) and Americanas. If I can figure out how to post a picture I will provide them to you.

Basically, the Americanas were moved to Forest Glen (1) to get rid of the remaining Flyers, and (2) because Addison needed a bus with more seating capacity (this was before NP articulateds were assigned).

Np artics have been on the #152 since at least the mid 1980's. My first rides ever on these were on here. Addison has a lot of history with the artics. It even had a New Flyer artic demonstrater on it in 1997.