New Artics Have Arrived!

santran

Did not go inside but the outside is the exact same.

Channel 7 just showed 4150 (no web link yet). The inside went by a bit too fast, but it looked like it had sling seats instead of the padded ones. Any confirmation of that?

Channel 7 just showed 4150 (no web link yet). The inside went by a bit too fast, but it looked like it had sling seats instead of the padded ones. Any confirmation of that?

Looks like the same seats as what's on #6462 same seat same color. Another different seat type. At least they believe in variety. :P

Officially (such as it is) announced on WGN Radio this afternoon.

(The audio on the link is not the story I heard at 1 p.m., which had a reference to "151" others. Both had the 208 total.)

Maybe the reporter had route 151 in mind. :lol: Seriously though, at least they got the 208 total correct, counting the 150 others from the Seattle piggyback lease CTA should have by now. I got a kick out of the destination signs show in the pic from the Channel 7 and WGN Radio websites, 'STIMULUS FUNDED HYBRID BUS'.

The press release at transitchicago.com indirectly mentions the 6000 Flxibles and their rehabilitation. I guess the bold part of this paragraph is referring to the Flxibles. And into this comes the bigger question: will these 58 new buses retire any Flxibles?

"In addition, stimulus funds are being used to rehabilitate selected components on the CTAs oldest buses, as well as the nearly 500 NOVA buses put into service in 2000-2001. Major components include replacing engines and transmissions as well as brake drums and other brake parts."

The press release at transitchicago.com indirectly mentions the 6000 Flxibles and their rehabilitation. I guess the bold part of this paragraph is referring to the Flxibles. And into this comes the bigger question: will these 58 new buses retire any Flxibles?

"In addition, stimulus funds are being used to rehabilitate selected components on the CTAs oldest buses, as well as the nearly 500 NOVA buses put into service in 2000-2001. Major components include replacing engines and transmissions as well as brake drums and other brake parts."

I cant believe the Novas are already due for a rehab. It seems like they were placed in service not too long ago. I remember when we first got them at FG. I remember the very first one I drove back in 2000, #6758 "borrowed" on the 54A.

Are we in for another round of the Superbus Shuffle? It seems to me that K and P have more than enough artics and 103rd and 7 need more, but the 1st deliveries of the new batch go to K and P?

I think we are. I spotted 4150 this evening on the 156. It seems Kedzie is getting some back from out south (4042-4048) a couple of weeks ago.

Can't answer that one (my guess was probably not because they are needed to fill gaps left by the NABIs, but BusHunter thought they could displace some NFs on express routes and indirectly retire some Flxs) but (I having taken a PR class) isn't there an amazing congruity between that Press Release and what was in the newspapers? Especially about mentioning the LED interior lights, when chicagobus.org has indicated that they have been in the last 550 buses? The press release also brings up what was debated here about whether CTA actually plugs in the hybrid buses overnight.

The press release also contains a flaw noted when we were debating sw about whether the 5800s got new engines, in that they seemed to lump two series into one sentence, confusing the issue. I don't expect a straight answer on how much work they intend to put into the 6000s.

I cant believe the Novas are already due for a rehab. It seems like they were placed in service not too long ago. I remember when we first got them at FG. I remember the very first one I drove back in 2000, #6758 "borrowed" on the 54A.
Well, it is a matter of memory, since midlifes are supposed to be about 7 years, and the oldest were received at about the end of 2000. They just don't seem old compared to the high floors. I remember the red herring when Huberman said about a year ago that they had not been rehabbed yet.

On the other hand, if it really was 6758, that must have happened around June 2002. The ones with the orange LED signs started delivery in about March, 2002. I remember seeing around Jefferson Park 6712 and 6715, with C stickers and Training Bus placards (and noted it on the Yahoo group at the time).

I think we are. I spotted 4150 this evening on the 156. It seems Kedzie is getting some back from out south (4042-4048) a couple of weeks ago.

Another change in #4150 is that it has no seats at the artic joint. So 4 less seats. It seems most of the changes they wanted in the #4000 order, (as noted by RMadison) got implemented on these. In regards to Kedzie, they had 63 artics (they have 40 now) when they had NABI's so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up around there when were done. Most likely the 58 will end up at all four garages that have them now. That seems to be the pattern.

Had an occasion to visit Cummings Engine out south. I spotted at least 10 Novas parked outside and inside. There were also a number of buses from other transportation companies.

4151,52,53,54 are all here. 4150 is at K. Have no clue as to 4149 yet. Anyone seen it!
Since you are in the yard, and it is not there, and it is unlikely to be at another CTA garage, maybe this is a job for our Minnesota friends to track down at DD (similar to 4019)? :rolleyes:-_-

Also, are 4151-4154 not on the road yet, or (more likely) their BusTrackers not working?

Since you are in the yard, and it is not there, and it is unlikely to be at another CTA garage, maybe this is a job for our Minnesota friends to track down at DD (similar to 4019)? :rolleyes:-_-

Also, are 4551-4554 not on the road yet, or (more likely) their BusTrackers not working?

Do you mean #4151-4154 because does bus #4551-4554 does not exist anymore.

None of the NP artics are ready, no fareboxes as of last night. They are all lined up together on track 11.

Probably they'll go out next week. They should get a few more by then and that will push them out. Usually new buses get held for about a week after delivery. #4150 being the exception, because it had a date with the press.

Probably they'll go out next week. They should get a few more by then and that will push them out. Usually new buses get held for about a week after delivery. #4150 being the exception, because it had a date with the press.
Maybe they'll go out on routes #146 & #130 this Saturday - to serve the riders attending AleFest at the Soldier Field Stadium Green? ;)

Another change in #4150 is that it has no seats at the artic joint. So 4 less seats. It seems most of the changes they wanted in the #4000 order, (as noted by RMadison) got implemented on these. In regards to Kedzie, they had 63 artics (they have 40 now) when they had NABI's so I wouldn't be surprised if they ended up around there when were done. Most likely the 58 will end up at all four garages that have them now. That seems to be the pattern.

:huh: If you had the experience of riding a NABI artic southbound on route 147 [before the repaving of Lake Shore Drive] you remember the artic joint area was quite noisy over bumps. The New Flyers don't have that problem. So my question is, why get rid of the 4 seats in the artic joint? Aren't CTA buses enough like cattle cars without removing more seats?

:huh: If you had the experience of riding a NABI artic southbound on route 147 [before the repaving of Lake Shore Drive] you remember the artic joint area was quite noisy over bumps. The New Flyers don't have that problem. So my question is, why get rid of the 4 seats in the artic joint? Aren't CTA buses enough like cattle cars without removing more seats?

If you've ever tried walking through that area when people are sitting there, it gets tight...